Well that went south fast

Silver lives dont matter LOL
onword and upward I suppose.

Hope people fund ardupilot, good ridence

Breakups dont have to be so contentious
3DR could do the right thing by all parties and open the code.
It could be forked and both parties could proceed on their own path with little ill feelings

This was sadly inevitable once the word "investors", "shareholders", and "venture capital" come into play. I understand (I think) why the big dogs in Drone Code want what they want, although that doesn't mean I approve of how it went down. I hope this mess propels Arducopter down it's new course, picking up speed and strength along the way. Watch the corporate BS vanish in the rear view mirror and enjoy what it becomes. The people involved are an epic group of developers and I have high hopes for it. I really hope this dust up doesn't make Chris be a jerk about Solo's source code. Since Solo is not going to be a commercial interest of 3DR anymore, there is no business reason to keep it locked up. Open it up for the community to build on. It will make 3DR look good in the end.

that is really all it would take for a happy ending for all parties
But seeing how this first part went down, I am guessing some egos are going to make people do stupid things

I was just sent this via my beta forums:
Chris A has all but put the final nail in the coffin of 3DR and solo. arducopter is being forked off and unsupported as part of dronecode, leaves their only piece of hardware on the path to obsolescence. Expect them to release px4/Qualcomm hardware and arducopter / solo to die on the vine without the support of development by the dronecode companies.

I think they might be underestimating the independent ph2 and rebase.
but time will tell.

I know part of Solo's appeal was that it was extensible through software, but from the features it came with and those added afterwards, I feel justify my investment, even if 3DR never adds another thing, which it certainly seems will be the case. Solex will pick up where 3DR left off, even if it never becomes fully supported by official Arducopter.

In this respect, I don't think Solo is any more or less on the path to obsolescence as a result of the split at 3DR. The Hero 5 doesn't seem to have the port on the back, so it would be a no-go in the Solo Gimbal right from the start. It'd be nice to be able to use better cameras, but anything heavier than a GoPro and flight times would become seriously restrictive.

I'm just saying it's not a case of "Oh no, 3DR had abandoned Arducopter, my Solo is now useless".

this goes a lot deeper

It doesn't go so deep that someone's going to sneak into my house at night and flash my Solo with PX4 and demand I pay them more to use it. That's what I'm saying. Yes, this will have far reaching implications to the future of Arducopter, but our Solos still do what they always did.

The suggestion that this will have a profound effect on the obsolescence of Solo, I just don't think holds water. Solo will live on without 3DR through Solex, but the reality is that it'll be rendered obsolete within another 1-2 years anyway. It was never a platform totally impervious to obsolescence altogether.

If I am not mistaken solex is built on dronekit
which belongs to dronecode
And your solo has just been down graded to 1.3.1
an old version of arducopter, who have just been shown the door by 3dr and excluded from dronecode

If I am not mistaken solex is built on dronekit
which belongs to dronecode
And your solo has just been down graded to 1.3.1
an old version of arducopter, who have just been shown the door by 3dr and excluded from dronecode

So as a result of Arducopter being kicked out of Dronekit, will our Solo's stop working any day now?

And what did Arducopter 3.4 make possible on the Solo platoform that 3.3 wasn't capable of? I believe 3.4 can do basic terrain following based on a downloaded geo map. Handy, but not a deal breaker for a camera platform AND, it's something that wasn't promised at the time of purchase. So not getting something that was never promised... not a major issue.

Again, all I'm saying is that out Solos aren't going to stop working tomorrow, or ever, as a result of this. Therefore, this doesn't render Solo obsolete. If you think it does, you're more than welcome to send me your worthless, obsolete Solos, I'll give them a good home.

Well, 3.4 does have boat mode, throw mode, etc. When they downgraded it also lost the lidar, optical flow capabilities, etc. None of those were "promised", although when solo debuted they did say an optical flow module was being worked on and they flew prototypes of it at NAB 2 years ago, which wouldn't work on the current firmware even if they did make one. Phillip even designed a really nice lidar/OF unit for solo as a DIY. No longer works.

Reactions: pyrate
I do not think I even remotely said they would stop working
and don't have time for your petty drama
what I said was the discussion on this on DIY went south
and I it is my opinion, which you can feel free to ignore
solo has seen the end of innovation, unless you want to drop the money for an enterprise one
The CEO has made it clear today, that what he said he meant
3dr is no longer interested in consumer solo

Well, 3.4 does have boat mode, throw mode, etc. When they downgraded it also lost the lidar, optical flow capabilities, etc. None of those were "promised", although when solo debuted they did say an optical flow module was being worked on and they flew prototypes of it at NAB 2 years ago, which wouldn't work on the current firmware even if they did make one. Phillip even designed a really nice lidar/OF unit for solo as a DIY. No longer works.
exactly

But that's what happens when you fire your knowledgeable coders who were there from the beginning and knew the codebase inside and out, and replaced them with newbies who had to learn from scratch. They obviously missed a few things along the way. They introduced serious critical bugs that f'd everything up so bad they had to totally revert AP and things have been a mess since then and will likely stay that way.

and don't have time for your petty drama

Wow, ok, F you too buddy... on the ignore list you go, don't have time for arrogant pricks.

Well, 3.4 does have boat mode, throw mode, etc. When they downgraded it also lost the lidar, optical flow capabilities, etc. None of those were "promised", although when solo debuted they did say an optical flow module was being worked on .

Sure, some of those things would be nice, boat mode especially. As for the others, again, given the overall package, they're not deal breakers, and their loss doesn't render the Solo obsolete despite some drama queens "the sky is falling" moaning.

Reactions: Crisp Rice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44