Well that went south fast

No, not obsolete at all. Just seriously crippled as far as "being an upgradeable drone for the future", which was the main vision and promise second to being the smart, cinematographic drone.

Reactions: NigelTM
that is what I thought I said, I just went back through and read my posts
yep, never said anything about solo no longer working.

you will see some great deals around Christmas I bet.
On FB someone just sold a lot of them I think it was 50

No, not obsolete at all. Just seriously crippled as far as "being an upgradeable drone for the future", which was the main vision and promise second to being the smart, cinematographic drone.

Sure, and I'm not saying I'm not a bit disappointed with the turn of events. I'm just trying to be realistic in terms of how upgradeable it ever was. As I said, you can't really tack on much without really crippling the flight times, and that's not something software could ever change. In two year's time, active collision avoidance will probably be a standard feature, which was probably never going to happen on Solo even if there was no split between the developers, again, without crippling flight times.

I'm asking Kelly Schrock if I can post the explanation he sent me here, but suffice it to say the split between Ardupilot and Dronecode should have little if any effect on Solex.

So the sky is not falling, Solo is far from obsolete. Always better to just ask rather than speculate.

Here's what Kelly said:

At this point, I don't see a possibility of the movements with DroneCode and ArduPilot having any noticeable effect on Solex's development. Solex uses the DroneKit/Android library, which is maintained separately from ArduPilot. I maintain my own fork of that for the purposes of contributing to it, so all of the code to access various features is accessible to me. Features like the new Follow modes in Solex, as well as Geofences, originated with me, so I don't need to depend on someone to maintain or update them on my behalf.

He went on to express optimism in Solo's firmware being brought back into the main ArduPilot codebase, and said that the feeling he gets is that keeping Solo viable is a high priority for the people who built it... (ie, all the people who've left 3DR).

So there you have it. Ardupilot splitting with DroneCode will have no effect on Solex. The people who built Solo are working to bring it back to official Arducopter and continue expanding it's capabilities.

And I'm the one accused of being dramatic... o_O

I purchased a copy of Solex to support their efforts and hope others do the same. Just passed the Part 107 exam and love flying my solo. I have one of those Phantoms sitting in a box in my office as I just don't trust it. Too bad hearing about what seems like chaotic times at 3dr but I am happy to hear there is continuing support for Solo.Thanks for everybody's positive contributions to the forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44