Using 3rd Party gimbals on a Solo?

Just ordered the Best Buy geek squad "refurbished" Solo. No gimbal supplied. Hope the software will work with my Samsung phone. It should arrive tomorrow.
I was wondering if I could put another gimbal on the solo. I have a cheap STorm 32 3 axis gimbal that I know I can hang below the solo, but is there any way I can control the gimbal tilt using the solo connections to the gimbal. The gimbal requires standard PWM, so is there a way to get a PWM signal to the gimbal? I have a degree in electrical engineering, and familiar with about every operating system out there.
By the way this is my first 3DR product but I own several other quads, Yuneec, Hubsan, DJI. I have searched the forum for any topic about tying a 3rd party gimbal to the solo and haven't found any info. The worse case is that I can hook up the gimbal and use it without any tilt with a cheap action cam with HDMI output. I see that as long as the camera has a HDMI out, it should work. I am wondering if some one out there has tried different gimbals with success.

Thanks in advance for help
Doug
W5DUG (ham radio call sign)
If it's a Storm32 v1.3x it supports mavlink serial communications. Get the Storm32 gui and mission planner. On the solo gimbal cable use the white, green and black. White goes to rx, green goes to tx and black is gnd. On mission planner set the parameters for uart 4 baud rate 115200,protocol mavlink1. On the mnt parameters set protocol to Storm32 mavlink and restart. Should work

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I know I'm a couple months late but did you use the storm 32 w/ 3axis gimbal?

Goodluckbuy or Goodlucksell on ebay is where I've gotten mine from for 60 bucks shipped...
I just found one for $60 shipped so I ordered that and I have donor 3dr gimbal I'm trying to fix

I'm using a Storm32 3 axis gimbal from Goodlucksell on Ebay. I'm able to control it with the standard Mavlink commands. Still need to get out and see how smartshots work with it though.

I'm using a Storm32 3 axis gimbal from Goodlucksell on Ebay. I'm able to control it with the standard Mavlink commands. Still need to get out and see how smartshots work with it though.
Can you control the camera? If so what are you using?

Can you control the camera? If so what are you using?

No. It is my understanding that the 3DR solo gimbal holds the code to control the GoPro Hero 3/4 cameras, and it isn't open source, so we likely wont be able to gain camera control with an aftermarket gimbal.

No. It is my understanding that the 3DR solo gimbal holds the code to control the GoPro Hero 3/4 cameras, and it isn't open source, so we likely wont be able to gain camera control with an aftermarket gimbal.
Ok thanks good to know. I appreciate it.

Still need to get out and see how smartshots work with it though.
I'm Curious how the smartshots work myself, and been thinking about using Mavlink. I've had a storm32 since I purchased the Solo its connected via PWM for tilt only I have it setup for a Sony action-cam its normally used for a Gopro type camera. Here is how it looks now >
IMG_20180312_150345.jpg IMG_20180312_150405.jpg

Now I'm finding myself not to have the time but acquired some gimbals - once you see the different ways they've been damaged - its no wonder to think how dumbed down society has allowed itself to get to blame everything else but themselves... I can account all the gimbals to user error or mishandling

If you're going to fly with a gimbal fly gracefully these things aren't meant to stand up to the g-forces in fast flight modes

Yeah they can be somewhat Fragile, I hope the 3dr gimbal I have holds up a bit
I was anxious to fly and didn't pull the gimbal - literally paid for it by buying the 3dr outfit....
Now I'm seeing anothing for a nice price...
4???
Solo and gimbal together

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig