Unable to get HDMI feed from Controller to Goggles

I haven't tried any wireless setups. I think it would be a great idea as long as it doesn't interfere with Solo.
This 2013 cnet article (and some of the Comments) was useful to me. Now I know to avoid Chromecast for my application (the intent, not the software...). Except it did not directly state the frequency(ies) used by WiFi Direct technology, about which I found this Microsoft article. This raises the concern that a local "Miracast network" could interfere with a local Solo network. I'll leave it up to WiFi Network experts to chime in on the level of risk.

The genuine Analogix SlimPort adapter you suggested did work for me. BTW, I found no problems with any connection sequence between my Nexus 7 (2013) and a Visio TV. Also no problem with the two HDMI cables that I had, one of which is retractable. However... the lightweight Toguard 12VDC TV that I was hoping to use has an annoying flicker in the display, and I found no menu setting that eliminated the flicker. That TV works great in other applications, but not when connected through the SlimPort to my Nexus 7. So I am looking for another lightweight, battery-powered monitor to use in the field with clients or film directors.
Well... one or more of three things is not helping maintain an HDMI circuit by cable between my Nexus 7 and any monitor or smart TV: (a) the connection port on my Nexus 7 is dirty or otherwise intermittent, (b) the Analogix Slimport adapter that I purchased is defective in some way, (c) my HDMI cable(s) is dirty or intermittent. At the moment, I suspect the connector on the Nexus 7, since it is so often used for charging and file transfers.

With luck, the Miracast adapter (when it arrives) will work on/with the Sceptre monitor, and I can "Cast" from the Nexus 7. Fingers crossed.

Well... one or more of three things is not helping maintain an HDMI circuit by cable between my Nexus 7 and any monitor or smart TV: (a) the connection port on my Nexus 7 is dirty or otherwise intermittent, (b) the Analogix Slimport adapter that I purchased is defective in some way, (c) my HDMI cable(s) is dirty or intermittent. At the moment, I suspect the connector on the Nexus 7, since it is so often used for charging and file transfers.

With luck, the Miracast adapter (when it arrives) will work on/with the Sceptre monitor, and I can "Cast" from the Nexus 7. Fingers crossed.

The somewhat bad news: I have abandoned the idea of using the Slimport adapter between my Nexus 7 and any other device because of the flaky Nexus 7 connection quality. The unexpected better news: I now have two configurations that allow clients to look on their own, hand-held monitor in the field. Not exactly what I was hoping to have, but good enough:

(a) [Solo Controller HDMI] to [Sceptre Monitor] through a [typical HDMI cable]. Slight video lag but useful. (I securely attached a connector cable on the bottom of the Controller to have a full-size HDMI connector.) The monitor has one of those painful menus to get used to, but offers a nice, large display. Even with the battery pack, it's light to hold. The downside is the physical cable as tether, which may be yanked out some day, probably at the worst time.

(b) [Nexus 7 "casting" wirelessly] to [Miracast adapter] on [Toguard TV]. You may recall the Toguard did not respond well to the HDMI signal of the Solo Controller (an email to the company may flush out a fix). However... once the Belkin Miracast adapter connects with the Nexus 7 in 'Cast' mode (the function is in under Settings>Display>Cast), the display on the Toguard is superb, and much better than my Nexus 7. A little more video lag than with configuration (a) above. Also more battery drain from the Belkin adapter, which gets warm.

I'm probably not going to invest more in this capability. However I may if I discover a 12VDC TV that is similar to the Sceptre Monitor. That monitor cannot, to my knowledge, be used with any Miracast device. Have to use a cable to the Solo Controller, and many have commented (and I agree!) about problems getting and maintaining an HDMI connection, especially when moving stuff around.

As for the ability of a Miracast adapter to use either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, the Belkin product documentation implies that the adapter searches for the better signal and auto-selects the frequency. I found no way to force the selection. I have not sniffed to see which frequency is being used, once one of my Solo systems is on. On the bench, I could not detect any interference issues with Solo's 2.4 GHz WiFi network. I may discover otherwise in the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo