Tower Auto Mission--Change Speed Waypoint Strangeness

Reaction score
I uploaded a mission to Solo, it included a Change Speed waypoint of 12m/s at the very beginning.

Hit Auto, flew this mission, no problems, flew at 12m/s.

Landed, did not power off, did not load new mission.

Hit Auto, flew same mission again (still in Solo's memory). This time, it went to the same waypoints but was going about 5m/s.

Anyone have an explanation for this, or way to avoid it from happening?

for some reason it the change speed waypoints seem wonky to me
sometimes they take sometimes they don't
have not tried it in a while

The 5ms is the default speed. So it just didn't pickup the speed change waypoint. I have never had this happen, but I also never use a speed change command as the very first one. I always have a takeoff and a nearby normal waypoint first.

Reactions: 5r49cfu
The Change Speed waypoint was the third command in the mission:

WP1: Takeoff (10m)
WP2: Set Yaw (0d)
WP3: Change Speed (12m/s)
WP4: Waypoint (15m)

Normally I don't fly the same mission right after the first (same battery, no shut down)--so this has never come up before.

When using speed changes in a mission or even changing waypoint speeds manually in MP, they don't seem to take initially for me. If I take off and fly to max speed with the sticks then go to auto, whatever speeds is stored in MP seems to work. If I do a complete auto mission from takeoff it seems to stay at the default speed. Not sure why.
I'm still experimenting to see exactly when this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Change Speed waypoint definitely takes for me, except in this case (original post).

Sometimes if you put one mid-mission, it takes until after the next physical waypoint to take. this can be very strange and not predictable as people posted above said.

that is why I put the Change Speed waypoint just after Launch waypoint, so make sure it sticks.

Change Speed as the first instruction of a mission never worked for me. I figured out I have to place a Waypoint before the Change Speed instruction. I never had an issue since.

Maybe the Set Yaw is usually doing this for you. And in the second flight the Set Yaw didn't lead to any movements of the aircraft because it had the correct orientation already. Just speculation.

The Change Speed waypoint was the third command in the mission:

I mean a real waypoint. Not a command. I put a waypoint very near the takeoff location that gives it somewhere to move to. Then put the speed change after that.

After the second flight where the Change Speed didn't take, while on the ground I deleted all Tower waypoints then downloaded/uploaded the mission again.

I then flew the mission, and the Change Speed to 12m/s worked.

Note that I did not cycle power on anything.

So it would seem to be good practice to reload the mission each time. Although it would make sense that you could re-fly a stored mission over and over again...

I'm quite confident reloading the mission was not a factor. You can re-run without reloading the mission forever. Even between reboots. Merely coincidence. As others have noted, putting a speed change before any position waypoints tends to be hit or miss.

FOLLOW UP

I flew a new set of test missions--to see if a Change Speed waypoint sticks.

As before, here are the starting waypoints

WPX: Waypoints

I flew the missions without turning off Solo, without re-uploading the mission, without killing the app.

This time, the Change Speed worked and it flew at 12m/s, it did not revert back to 10m/s!

Inconsistent!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc