Tablet shows scaled video image - only when recording

Reaction score
Website
solo.3drshop.eu
Today I finally installed my gimbal. Had it from the day I got my Solo, but flew a few hours first before, just to get a bit confident.
The issue with the scaled video feed was there before I installed the gimbal. But now I can start/stop recording from the app or controller, I see the video feed change while doing so.

When I prepare my Solo before flying, the video feed seems perfect, filling my nice tablet screen.

Solo_Gopro_Ready.jpg

But when I start recording, the feed gets squeezed, which makes it not only more difficult to get the framing right, but also annoying when client would watch over my shoulder (or on the monitor).

Solo_Gopro_Recording.jpg

Did someone else have this same issue or knows how to solve this?

Thanks, Joris

ps. my setup:
Solo 2.0.0 - Controller 2.0.0 - Gimbal 1.3.1 - App 2.1.0
Gopro Hero4 Black

Hi Joris,

It looks like your tablet is rendering the video -- or Go Pro / Solo is sending the preview -- in a different screen resolution when recording. The aspect ratio of the video is changing. Is it possible the Hero preview settings are not compatible with your tab? Does it happen with your phone or some other device in the same way? I must admit in all the clips I've shot I never actually used the preview that "accurately" to notice -- but I WOULD notice if the aspect ratio changed, so I don't think it does, on mine. :-/

Hi Mr_Chris,

My tablet is a Nvidia Shield. Unfortunately I don't have another phone or tablet that is compatible with Solo. Bought this one especially for the Solo.

When using the Gopro app, all works just fine. I guess it has something to do with the Solo or Solo app. The stretched image is quite obvious when you're framing the shot. You would have noticed. ;-)

Hi Mr_Chris,

My tablet is a Nvidia Shield. Unfortunately I don't have another phone or tablet that is compatible with Solo. Bought this one especially for the Solo.

When using the Gopro app, all works just fine. I guess it has something to do with the Solo or Solo app. The stretched image is quite obvious when you're framing the shot. You would have noticed. ;-)

Joris,

I have the Nvidia. It's going to change depending on the settings you have for recoding video on your GoPro. Go into the GoPro video settings and change the resolution and FOV and you'll see what I mean.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for stepping in. I did try other settings. 1080p, 4k, wide or medium FOV, but the result was the same. I didn't try 4:3 or superview though. Is that what I should do?
I would like to record 2.7K wide FOV (I have the 5.4mm lens on it)...

When I change the settings to another resolution or FOV, I got exactly the same problem: a perfect image that gets squeezed as soon as recording starts. Oh... I also get some noise for a few seconds just before the recording actually starts.

Joris

When I change the settings to another resolution or FOV, I got exactly the same problem: a perfect image that gets squeezed as soon as recording starts. Oh... I also get some noise for a few seconds just before the recording actually starts.

Joris,

The noise is normal when it switches from live preview to GoPro recording. The screen while recording will be a bit truncated. It should vary depending on settings. I'm not by my bird now so I cant check the different settings. Your recordings will be solid at 2.7k wide FOV but your preview screen will be a bit truncated. It doesn't cause an issue for me. YMMV.

Jerry

Joris- I never noticed it before but both my iPad mini and Nexus 7 do the same thing. I guess it's normal!

Thanks Maddog. This confirms at least it probably hasn't to do anything with my setup.

On the other hand I find it slightly disturbing. When I'm filming with clients, they often monitor what is recorded on a field monitor. This will get me worried clients and a few minutes of explanation for many times. For myself, I surely can live with it, but it will annoy me every time.

Hey, at least I have something on my wishlist for 3DR to fix as well. When the multipoint cablecam got launched, 3DR fulfilled everything I wanted for the Solo. ;-)

Thanks Maddog. This confirms at least it probably hasn't to do anything with my setup.

On the other hand I find it slightly disturbing. When I'm filming with clients, they often monitor what is recorded on a field monitor. This will get me worried clients and a few minutes of explanation for many times. For myself, I surely can live with it, but it will annoy me every time.

Hey, at least I have something on my wishlist for 3DR to fix as well. When the multipoint cablecam got launched, 3DR fulfilled everything I wanted for the Solo. ;-)
I don't know it there will be a fix for it- maybe. Just tell your clients that's what happens with a high quality drone.;)

Same happening to me on my iPhone 6 with Hero 4 Black + 5.4. Hope they fix it soon.

Mine does it only when i select wide views
if i do medium, not problem

I have the nexus 9

Mine does it only when i select wide views
if i do medium, not problem

I have the nexus 9
My iPad mini only does it on 4 and 2.7K. FOV makes no difference.
No problems with 1080.

Same for my Nexus 7.

I have an Nvidia Shield as well along with an iphone 6. I noticed the same thing after the latest update on both devices. I too thought it was the settings on my gopro4 black. I normally shoot at 2.7k wide and narrow. Before update, the footage saved to camera roll would be fine, slightly skewed maybe. Now I see the black letter bars on top and bottom on both preview and camera roll. Would love to find a solution, its a bit annoying.

Reactions: Maddog
I had this problem a while ago, not sure what fixed it but its back to normal now (on both nexus 7 and iphone 6s). Try changing the gopro model on the solo app settings to "other" and back to the gopro youre using. That fixes my issue where the gopro settings are grayed out/not available, when i do the switch it goes back to normal, worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this problem a while ago, not sure what fixed it but its back to normal now (on both nexus 7 and iphone 6s). Try changing the gopro model on the solo app settings to "other" and back to the gopro youre using. That fixes my issue where the gopro settings are grayed out/not available, when i do the switch it goes back to normal, worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm having the same issue as Joris, Tried your trick on my IPad mini 2- Iphone6 and no luck for me. Like everyone else, We'll have to wait for the GoPro fix? I have to say, its harder to view when flying but the footage is fine.

Today I finally installed my gimbal. Had it from the day I got my Solo, but flew a few hours first before, just to get a bit confident.
The issue with the scaled video feed was there before I installed the gimbal. But now I can start/stop recording from the app or controller, I see the video feed change while doing so.

When I prepare my Solo before flying, the video feed seems perfect, filling my nice tablet screen.

Solo_Gopro_Ready.jpg

But when I start recording, the feed gets squeezed, which makes it not only more difficult to get the framing right, but also annoying when client would watch over my shoulder (or on the monitor).

Solo_Gopro_Recording.jpg

Did someone else have this same issue or knows how to solve this?

Thanks, Joris

ps. my setup:
Solo 2.0.0 - Controller 2.0.0 - Gimbal 1.3.1 - App 2.1.0
Gopro Hero4 Black
Looks like the new firmware 2.1.0 update (For Controller)is available now. Just tested and it fixed the problem.

Reactions: Joris and Maddog
Looks like the new firmware 2.1.0 update (For Controller)is available now. Just tested and it fixed the problem.

Unfortunately the 2.1.0 update fixed the previous bugs but introduced new ones. All settings available to a GoPro 4 Silver are ok now except these while recording:

1440 @ 24 and 30 fps = squashed horizontally (everything looks tall and skinny), but 48 fps is ok.
960 @ 60 fps = also squashed horizontally, but 100 fps is ok.

Of course the "S" modes look squashed vertically, but that's not a bug; they're supposed to look that way.

It would be appreciated if somebody could check 1440 @ 24, 1440 @ 30, and 960 @ 60 on a GoPro 4 Black, as well as the extra modes that the Black has and the Silver doesn't have.

Joe, I don't think you will find anybody here using any of those modes.
I really don't know what they would be used for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc