Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable (replacement for Solo's HDMI cable)

Exactly... He probably makes all of 10 bucks for doing the research, making the arrangments to have them built, prebuying a bunch of cables, having the website, taking the orders, and then fulfilling them.

I actually appreciate the work he has done
I agree. I think it's good to have options. Everyone has different budgets and time constraints. Ordering cheaper could mean a long wait for shipping etc.

Not over priced based on what I've been able to find. Note that the connectors orientation is opposite from one another, based on the connector's end profile. You'd have to take the AerialPixel version and modify (solder) the orientation of one of the connectors to fit the Solo. Edit to add: It appears that the PCBs are laid out differently to accommodate the wiring order...

The lack of shielding around the connectors for Relish3D and AP would be my biggest question regarding throughput or interference to other components within Solo..

Sure 3DR should source a better solution and very possibly they are working on one. Threatening LS is not going to get a quicker resolve btw. The standard HDMI cable will in fact work, but for many it is a challenge to orient within. If 3DR would sell me a couple of HDMI cables I think I could DIY a resolve.

@jeeboont aka Relish3D, I'd be happy to be a tester...send private mail for shipping address...;)

Thanks. Good observation on the connectors. I've been searching for this configuration for some time and decided to make my own. I'm sourcing for shielded ribbons and hope to be able to provide it in the next coming batch.

As for price... It is not cheap as I don't have volume yet to negotiate cheaper pricing.

RichWest... Drop me an email at [email protected] and we can figure something out.

Please ship asap need this cable please. I also got the fold up feet

... Drop me an email at [email protected] and we can figure something out.

Very kind, but I have resolved my HDMI cable woes at the moment. Just waiting on a motor pod to confirm further. But will be interested in other members results with your offering. It appears to be the simplest solution available.

Shielding - A little heat shrink over the exposed solder connections to insulate and then form copper shielding tape over that for a DIY shield. That is, if there is even a need for shielding.

Any idea when the cables will ship? Haven't heard a word since I ordered last week.

Very kind, but I have resolved my HDMI cable woes at the moment. Just waiting on a motor pod to confirm further. But will be interested in other members results with your offering. It appears to be the simplest solution available.

Shielding - A little heat shrink over the exposed solder connections to insulate and then form copper shielding tape over that for a DIY shield. That is, if there is even a need for shielding.
How did you resolve your HDMI issue?

How did you resolve your HDMI issue?

Until I get my replacement motor pod, there's just no sense in talking about what I did just yet. The motor's pretty bad under load, so it's hard to say if my mod will work like I expect, let alone everyone else.... Ordered Friday, ships from 3DR whenever...

FWIW, this would be a void your warranty type mod...at this point at least.

Rich, if you need a #3 motor pod, getting one tomorrow. Check your mail.

Available at: Relish3D.com
kind of costly....but I might still purchase one in the future.

It is common knowledge that one of the main reasons why videos captured using Solo's gimbal has significant vibrations. While others have tried 'rerouting' the stiff HDMI cable, to 'shaving-off' the casing to 'loosen' the cable, it remains a challenge to get buttery-smooth cable-cam shots.

At Relish3D, we have been experimenting with various options and finally decided that the only viable solution was to custom design a micro HDMI cable specifically to replace the OEM Solo HDMI cable. (Note that this procedure may void your Solo Warranty.)

20151013_233850__34135.1444809260.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 1. The male Micro HDMI connectors are at polar opposite ends to accommodate both spaces on the gimbal as well as on the Solo motherboard.

Our Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable is a replacement cable for the Solo's rigid Micro HDMI cable. This is a 2 x reinforced, ultra thin, ultra flexible Micro HDMI to Micro HDMI cable that is specifically custom designed for Solo. It uses a 90 Degree Micro HDMI connector (with reversed ends) for minimal footprint and limited space gimbals. Measuring only 10cm long, it is perfectly fitted to accomodate Solo's gimbal and body connectors.

20151013_231423__29896.1444809272.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 2. The replacement cable being fitted into the motherboard's underside HDMI connector.

20151013_231934__56426.1444809293.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 3. The other end is fitted through the underside gap without duress or being pressed against the Solo body hence minimising transmission of vibration.

20151013_232117__24630.1444809282.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 4. The other end is fitted into the gimbal end with the right angled micro HDMI ribbon cable facing downwards. [TIP: You will need to gently add a 'bend' to the end of the ribbon that is stiff. This will allow you to fit the gimbal in easier. Just be careful not to break the ribbon-board which is fragile.]

Disclaimer: There are many factors that contributes to vibrations in the video and we do not assume that simply swapping the HDMI cable will eliminate 100% of the vibration. You will still need to explore the use of vibration dampeners and address the stiff data link cable connecting the motherboard to the gimbal board. Again, this may void your Solo warranty hence proceed with care.

UPDATE: Check out these test videos!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Available at: Relish3D.com

Do people feel like this legitimately helps to mitigate some of the shudder? Still seems to be the typical shaking in the sample videos here:

Perhaps it's improved though?

I've been able to remove the shaking with warp stabilizer to some extent, but solid footage out of the camera was sort of more of what we were sold, yeah? :\

I'm not against doing some small things like this to mitigate the shaking, but has anyone been able to even get their footage to be smooth out of the camera with a Solo?

If so, I haven't seen it yet in reviewing dozens of videos.

Jee,

Hey, I ordered your cable and got confirmation that it shipped but USPS tracking says it's not a valid tracking number. I emailed 3drelish a couple of days ago so you guys could check on it but haven't received a reply. My stock cable is bad and I'm trying to get one from 3dr as well but would like to get an estimate on when I might see yours.

Thanks,

Jerry

I just received a reply to my email and was told that it shipped yesterday and "It will take around 6 to 9 working days to reach US and clear US Customs". Just thought I'd give you guys the info in case you ordered one or are considering doing so.

Jerry

Reactions: Del
Do people feel like this legitimately helps to mitigate some of the shudder? Still seems to be the typical shaking in the sample videos here:

Perhaps it's improved though?

I've been able to remove the shaking with warp stabilizer to some extent, but solid footage out of the camera was sort of more of what we were sold, yeah? :\

I'm not against doing some small things like this to mitigate the shaking, but has anyone been able to even get their footage to be smooth out of the camera with a Solo?

If so, I haven't seen it yet in reviewing dozens of videos.

Ryan:

You're right. There is still some micro jitters in the video but it is a vast improvement over my stock solo which was really bad. I'm now working on isolating the other aspects of the jitter with the intention of reducing it further but I will need to relook at the datalink which is another culprit contributing to vibrations.

Reactions: Ryan Farnes
Cable I got was no good. No video sometimes I will get a feed but can't see anything flicker bad colors etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo