Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable (replacement for Solo's HDMI cable)

Guys, I have finished publishing the YouTube video on our first test flight for the HDMI Ribbon Cable. Pretty good results.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
What resolution did you capture this in?

It was captured in 2.7k but iMovie converted it to 1080p for sharing on YouTube. The original video is a lot sharper.
It was captured in 2.7k but iMovie converted it to 1080p for sharing on YouTube. The original video is a lot sharper.
Looks slightly better then stock, but I could still see micro vibrations plus I don't know if it's worth voiding the warranty at least not for me.

I hear you the only upgrade I bought for the solo where the FPVLR antenna's because the stock antennas are garbage and almost insulting.

I ordered an Alpha antenna from Amazon when my Solo shipped. It was only $20 and I figured it'd extend my range until I wanted to invest in the FPVLRs, but I've honestly not even tried it yet. I've had the Solo out to about 1/2 a mile and at no point have had even a hiccup in the video feed or control. I am flying out in the mountains, so there's pretty much zero wifi interference, maybe that makes a difference. It was one of the things I was concerned about, but at least for where I've been flying, hasn't been an issue.

Aside from the gimbals vibrations, which are fairly easily solvable with some softer cables, and my right pointing gimbal, which 3DR will undoubtedly fix or replace, the Solo has otherwise performed flawlessly for me.

I ordered an Alpha antenna from Amazon when my Solo shipped. It was only $20 and I figured it'd extend my range until I wanted to invest in the FPVLRs, but I've honestly not even tried it yet. I've had the Solo out to about 1/2 a mile and at no point have had even a hiccup in the video feed or control. I am flying out in the mountains, so there's pretty much zero wifi interference, maybe that makes a difference. It was one of the things I was concerned about, but at least for where I've been flying, hasn't been an issue.

Aside from the gimbals vibrations, which are fairly easily solvable with some softer cables, and my right pointing gimbal, which 3DR will undoubtedly fix or replace, the Solo has otherwise performed flawlessly for me.
I tried the Alpha antenna and it did not work for me. In fact the range got worse.
I don't know why- perhaps because I fly in an urban, high wifi area.

I tried the Alpha antenna and it did not work for me. In fact the range got worse.

Yea, I hadn't seen a lot of people talking about them, I saw a YouTube video where a guy takes his Solo 1.6 miles out over the ocean using one but that was about it. I'm sure that's a pristine environment (over water) for them, but at $20, I won't be upset if it doesn't work well.

Reactions: Maddog
Nice solution. I have one coming from 3dr as a replacement. If it's no good I may get this.
Personally I want the green one shown in the solo advertising that connects your screen to the back of the controller. .. kewl.

Maybe it's specific to your unit? I've had mine for a while and it definitely helps.

Orientation during use also helps and aiming at Solo with it as you fly further out is important. I've posted screen shots with distance from home in the prior wifi mod threads.

Considering how relatively inexpensive they are, it gives my more expensive antennas a run for the money - granted I didn't have a matching circular polarized antenna on Solo at the time. I'll be doing that upgrade soon as I finally got my u.fl-SMA pigtails.

Available at: Relish3D.com

It is common knowledge that one of the main reasons why videos captured using Solo's gimbal has significant vibrations. While others have tried 'rerouting' the stiff HDMI cable, to 'shaving-off' the casing to 'loosen' the cable, it remains a challenge to get buttery-smooth cable-cam shots.

At Relish3D, we have been experimenting with various options and finally decided that the only viable solution was to custom design a micro HDMI cable specifically to replace the OEM Solo HDMI cable. (Note that this procedure may void your Solo Warranty.)

20151013_233850__34135.1444809260.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 1. The male Micro HDMI connectors are at polar opposite ends to accommodate both spaces on the gimbal as well as on the Solo motherboard.

Our Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable is a replacement cable for the Solo's rigid Micro HDMI cable. This is a 2 x reinforced, ultra thin, ultra flexible Micro HDMI to Micro HDMI cable that is specifically custom designed for Solo. It uses a 90 Degree Micro HDMI connector (with reversed ends) for minimal footprint and limited space gimbals. Measuring only 10cm long, it is perfectly fitted to accomodate Solo's gimbal and body connectors.

20151013_231423__29896.1444809272.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 2. The replacement cable being fitted into the motherboard's underside HDMI connector.

20151013_231934__56426.1444809293.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 3. The other end is fitted through the underside gap without duress or being pressed against the Solo body hence minimising transmission of vibration.

20151013_232117__24630.1444809282.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 4. The other end is fitted into the gimbal end with the right angled micro HDMI ribbon cable facing downwards. [TIP: You will need to gently add a 'bend' to the end of the ribbon that is stiff. This will allow you to fit the gimbal in easier. Just be careful not to break the ribbon-board which is fragile.]

Disclaimer: There are many factors that contributes to vibrations in the video and we do not assume that simply swapping the HDMI cable will eliminate 100% of the vibration. You will still need to explore the use of vibration dampeners and address the stiff data link cable connecting the motherboard to the gimbal board. Again, this may void your Solo warranty hence proceed with care.

UPDATE: Check out these test videos!

Available at: Relish3D.com

$33 is nothing to reduce vibration - but voiding the SOLO warranty is no fly for me... i would suggest speaking with Chris or Colin so they can "approve" it. then you could sell direct to them and or us.

they love entrepreneurial peeps - give it a shot.

Maybe it's specific to your unit? I've had mine for a while and it definitely helps.

Orientation during use also helps and aiming at Solo with it as you fly further out is important. I've posted screen shots with distance from home in the prior wifi mod threads.

Considering how relatively inexpensive they are, it gives my more expensive antennas a run for the money - granted I didn't have a matching circular polarized antenna on Solo at the time. I'll be doing that upgrade soon as I finally got my u.fl-SMA pigtails.
I don't know, but I'm not going to worry about it- I ordered the FPVLR and hopefully that will work better here in "wi-fi central".

Looks pretty feasible. $30 is a little much but this is a small business. Not like he's making thousands of them and selling them for $5 a piece. Gotta take what you can get.

i'm going to order one right now. A small price to pay for a better machine. We all knew we were biting off on something different when we bought this thing. Let's help make this thing better. We've already made the investment.

Jerry

I has just tagging David as he is having cable issues. I wanted to make sure he saw this :)

Guys, I have finished publishing the YouTube video on our first test flight for the HDMI Ribbon Cable. Pretty good results.

Okay, I bought your cable. It's done, in the books. I decided to come back and review the video. Watched the full 4+ minutes. It does look good but everything is at a pretty slow speed. You should show a video with that bird cranked up a bit. What does it look like when that bird is clipping along at 15-30? I'm just saying, so other people will order one, mine is already on the way!

Jerry

Ordered! $5.00 shipping. We'll see what she does boys!

Jerry
Are you having gimbal problems that have been traced to the HDMI cable?
I watched the video and the quality wasn't any better than the average Solo video. You did make a good point that Solo seemed to be flying awfully slow and not really doing much of anything.

Maddog,

Yes. Lot's of low-level vibration. I've dug into the battery bay 3 times now but still cant alleviate it. I suppose we've got to try whatever we can to get this thing right. It'd be great if we got DJI chasing Solo's tail. It's going to be a long, hard, road I think.

Jerry

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea