Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable (replacement for Solo's HDMI cable)

Reaction score
Website
www.relish3d.com
Available at: Relish3D.com

It is common knowledge that one of the main reasons why videos captured using Solo's gimbal has significant vibrations. While others have tried 'rerouting' the stiff HDMI cable, to 'shaving-off' the casing to 'loosen' the cable, it remains a challenge to get buttery-smooth cable-cam shots.

At Relish3D, we have been experimenting with various options and finally decided that the only viable solution was to custom design a micro HDMI cable specifically to replace the OEM Solo HDMI cable. (Note that this procedure may void your Solo Warranty.)

20151013_233850__34135.1444809260.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 1. The male Micro HDMI connectors are at polar opposite ends to accommodate both spaces on the gimbal as well as on the Solo motherboard.

Our Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable is a replacement cable for the Solo's rigid Micro HDMI cable. This is a 2 x reinforced, ultra thin, ultra flexible Micro HDMI to Micro HDMI cable that is specifically custom designed for Solo. It uses a 90 Degree Micro HDMI connector (with reversed ends) for minimal footprint and limited space gimbals. Measuring only 10cm long, it is perfectly fitted to accomodate Solo's gimbal and body connectors.

20151013_231423__29896.1444809272.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 2. The replacement cable being fitted into the motherboard's underside HDMI connector.

20151013_231934__56426.1444809293.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 3. The other end is fitted through the underside gap without duress or being pressed against the Solo body hence minimising transmission of vibration.

20151013_232117__24630.1444809282.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 4. The other end is fitted into the gimbal end with the right angled micro HDMI ribbon cable facing downwards. [TIP: You will need to gently add a 'bend' to the end of the ribbon that is stiff. This will allow you to fit the gimbal in easier. Just be careful not to break the ribbon-board which is fragile.]

Disclaimer: There are many factors that contributes to vibrations in the video and we do not assume that simply swapping the HDMI cable will eliminate 100% of the vibration. You will still need to explore the use of vibration dampeners and address the stiff data link cable connecting the motherboard to the gimbal board. Again, this may void your Solo warranty hence proceed with care.

UPDATE: Check out these test videos!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Imho, 3DR should provide a solution to the stiff HDMI cable. But good luck with your business.
The only real way 3DR could fix all the issues is to do a recall on every Solo sold witch by the way is very unlikely to happen unless a lawsuit for quality control plays out, I mean sure you could change the HDMI cable with this over prized one here, but how are you going to change the data molex cable that's also putting strain on the gimbal if it's solder to the motherboard.

Not over priced based on what I've been able to find. Note that the connectors orientation is opposite from one another, based on the connector's end profile. You'd have to take the AerialPixel version and modify (solder) the orientation of one of the connectors to fit the Solo. Edit to add: It appears that the PCBs are laid out differently to accommodate the wiring order...

The lack of shielding around the connectors for Relish3D and AP would be my biggest question regarding throughput or interference to other components within Solo..

Sure 3DR should source a better solution and very possibly they are working on one. Threatening LS is not going to get a quicker resolve btw. The standard HDMI cable will in fact work, but for many it is a challenge to orient within. If 3DR would sell me a couple of HDMI cables I think I could DIY a resolve.

@jeeboont aka Relish3D, I'd be happy to be a tester...send private mail for shipping address...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Burkeam

It is common knowledge that one of the main reasons why videos captured using Solo's gimbal has significant vibrations. While others have tried 'rerouting' the stiff HDMI cable, to 'shaving-off' the casing to 'loosen' the cable, it remains a challenge to get buttery-smooth cable-cam shots.

At Relish3D, we have been experimenting with various options and finally decided that the only viable solution was to custom design a micro HDMI cable specifically to replace the OEM Solo HDMI cable. (Note that this procedure may void your Solo Warranty.)

20151013_233850__34135.1444809260.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 1. The male Micro HDMI connectors are at polar opposite ends to accommodate both spaces on the gimbal as well as on the Solo motherboard.

Our Solo Ultra Thin Micro HDMI Flat Ribbon Cable is a replacement cable for the Solo's rigid Micro HDMI cable. This is a 2 x reinforced, ultra thin, ultra flexible Micro HDMI to Micro HDMI cable that is specifically custom designed for Solo. It uses a 90 Degree Micro HDMI connector (with reversed ends) for minimal footprint and limited space gimbals. Measuring only 10cm long, it is perfectly fitted to accomodate Solo's gimbal and body connectors.

20151013_231423__29896.1444809272.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 2. The replacement cable being fitted into the motherboard's underside HDMI connector.

20151013_231934__56426.1444809293.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 3. The other end is fitted through the underside gap without duress or being pressed against the Solo body hence minimising transmission of vibration.

20151013_232117__24630.1444809282.1280.1280.jpg

Figure 4. The other end is fitted into the gimbal end with the right angled micro HDMI ribbon cable facing downwards. [TIP: You will need to gently add a 'bend' to the end of the ribbon that is stiff. This will allow you to fit the gimbal in easier. Just be careful not to break the ribbon-board which is fragile.]

Disclaimer: There are many factors that contributes to vibrations in the video and we do not assume that simply swapping the HDMI cable will eliminate 100% of the vibration. You will still need to explore the use of vibration dampeners and address the stiff data link cable connecting the motherboard to the gimbal board. Again, this may void your Solo warranty hence proceed with care.

I like it. I've been waiting for 3DR to send me a replacement cable. They informed me that as soon as they settle their "account" whatever that means they will ship the cable that I've already paid for.
However, your solution will eliminate one more possible source of the shaky jello ridden video that I have seen on Youtube with this overpriced four hundred dollar plus, with tax gimbal. So, I might as well purchase an over priced hdmi cable to match.

Not over priced based on what I've been able to find.

I'd have to agree, it's not cheap, but when you consider the cost of having a specific cable manufactured for such a limited market, the price is probably not that bad. How many are they really going to sell? The cheap cost of most cables is because they're being manufactured by the 100's of thousands, if not more, not 100's, if that.

That said, it's expensive enough that I'd probably look into building one myself before purchasing. The cables to the gimbal, without question, are way, way, WAY too damn stiff, and it's amazing 3DR chose to use those particular ones. The data cable might as well be a piece of coax. Literally every one of my videos needs to be stabilized to remove the fine vibrations, and I have balanced my props. This is a pretty big disappointment in what has otherwise been an amazing product.

Not over priced based on what I've been able to find. Note that the connectors orientation is opposite from one another, based on the connector's end profile. You'd have to take the AerialPixel version and modify (solder) the orientation of one of the connectors to fit the Solo.

The lack of shielding around the connectors for Relish3D and AP would be my biggest question regarding throughput or interference to other components within Solo..

Sure 3DR should source a better solution and very possibly they are working on one. Threatening LS is not going to get a quicker resolve btw. The standard HDMI cable will in fact work, but for many it is a challenge to orient within. If 3DR would sell me a couple of HDMI cables I think I could DIY a resolve.

Relish3D, I'd be happy to be a tester...send private mail for shipping address...;)
I like it. I've been waiting for 3DR to send me a replacement cable. They informed me that as soon as they settle their "account" whatever that means they will ship the cable that I've already paid for.
However, your solution will eliminate one more possible source of the shaky jello ridden video that I have seen on Youtube with this overpriced four hundred dollar plus, with tax gimbal. So, I might as well purchase an over priced hdmi cable to match.
At this point you should just purchase an inspire one and called it a day.

Not over priced based on what I've been able to find. Note that the connectors orientation is opposite from one another, based on the connector's end profile. You'd have to take the AerialPixel version and modify (solder) the orientation of one of the connectors to fit the Solo. Edit to add: It appears that the PCBs are laid out differently to accommodate the wiring order...

@jeeboont aka Relish3D, I'd be happy to be a tester...send private mail for shipping address...;)
The Solo is overpriced, the gimbal is okay, plus after all the mods like this expensive HDMI cable you might as well have bought a Inspire One unless you're like some type of anti DJI product dude, better yet just build your own quad.

I've ordered one from eBay for about $10 USD free shipping.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
The Solo is overpriced, the gimbal is okay, plus after all the mods like this expensive HDMI cable you might as well have bought a Inspire One unless you're like some type of anti DJI product dude, better yet just build your own quad.

I've spent $1500 on the Solo, gimbal, extra batteries and props. I had the camera for other uses so while it is another cost if you don't have one, it wasn't for me personally. Even if I spent another couple hundred on some minor modifications, I'm still well over $1000 less than an Inspire 1. And I did consider the Inspire, but just wasn't comfortable putting THAT much money up in the air with DJI's support reputation. 3DR's support is a feature that must be considered and that is worth paying for.

Not saying Solo isn't expensive, but there's more to the equation than simple MSRP to MSRP.

There you go, but honestly I don't think anyone should be spending a dime trying to solve 3DRs poor design flaws. :(
I like the open source nature. I submitted a suggestion to add Zebra exposure highlighting - much better chance of getting that from 3DR, don't you think? Considering someone already has done most of the open source work:

https://github.com/ford-prefect/gst-plugins-bad/blob/master/gst/videofilters/gstzebrastripe.c

It's things like this that make it a good system to tinker with.

The other brands have their merit - and are more mature, for sure. If I was doing this for work this last summer or had a big trip where aerial video was extremely important, I would NOT have bought only a Solo. That being said, I have voiced my dissatisfactions to 3DR directly :)

There you go, but honestly I don't think anyone should be spending a dime trying to solve 3DRs poor design flaws. :(
Honestly I'd get bored if I couldn't tinker with this thing. What fun is it when it works correctly every time. FFS NASA has blown stuff up do to a faulty o-ring lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I've spent $1500 on the Solo, gimbal, extra batteries and props. I had the camera for other uses so while it is another cost if you don't have one, it wasn't for me personally. Even if I spent another couple hundred on some minor modifications, I'm still well over $1000 less than an Inspire 1. And I did consider the Inspire, but just wasn't comfortable putting THAT much money up in the air with DJI's support reputation. 3DR's support is a feature that must be considered and that is worth paying for.

Not saying Solo isn't expensive, but there's more to the equation than simple MSRP to MSRP.
I hear you the only upgrade I bought for the solo where the FPVLR antenna's because the stock antennas are garbage and almost insulting from what advertised I find it crazy that people are spending more money on modifications just to try to make this bird what it should have been out the factory I'm seriously considering getting my money back before my 30 days are up.

Honestly I'd get bored if I couldn't tinker with this thing. What fun is it when it works correctly every time. FFS NASA has blown stuff up do to a faulty o-ring lol.

Trust me I spend more time tinkering then actually flying and since currently I couldn't fly even if I wanted to it really makes me think about the price tag, couple more Benjamins and I could have an Inspire One with light bridge and solid video feedback light years ahead of 3DR.

Thats a solid point. What is irritating me currently are the software and firmware issues that I lack the skill to fix.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Thats a solid point. What is irritating me currently are the software and firmware issues that I lack the skill to fix.

You and me are on the same page if it wasn't for the terrible software and firmware updates the bird would be tolerable, also the gimbal in no way is worth $400+ I feel ripped off at this point, but if you can get past that if the updates just worked without messing something else up that wasn't broken or bricking you're Solo in some cases I'd be fine.

Guys, I have finished publishing the YouTube video on our first test flight for the HDMI Ribbon Cable. Pretty good results.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Raybro and z-axis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc