Solo GPS Rev A / Rev B Availability... Official

Just a heads up... I haven't finalized my test and need to edit the videos for the test that I did today but was able to see some real differences between the Rev A and Rev B units.

Test Equipment:
1st Solo purchased in Dev 2015 has new Rev B and copper shield that came with the unit shipped from Current UAS
2nd Solo purchased two weeks ago for the 599.00 deal has old Rev A GPS and new shield from 3DR.

Test Scenario:
1. Area at my house has poor satellite reception because of the trees
2. Both units have flow in this area and have had satellite lock so this is not a first time acquiring of satellites for either Solo
3. Place each Solo independently on my kitchen table on the second floor of a three floor home.
4. Videoed the start of both units after the controller and iPhone were initialized
5. Both Solo's have the 2.4 firmware and iOS 2.4 as well

Test Results:
1st Solo with Rev B GPS and copper shield actually acquired 8 satellites (sometimes 9) and went to flight mode. I videoed this and started the motors (no props)

2nd Solo with Rev A GPS and new shield fluctuated between 0 and 6 satellites a lot (I may have seen 7 once or twice) without ever acquiring a lock and really showed some strange behavior. I noticed that the speed went from 0 to over 60 mph then back to 0 then up to 50 or higher while trying to acquire the satellites.

In my case, the Rev B GPS with the copper shield performed considerably better then the Rev A GPS and new shield.

I hope that I can find some time to get the videos up soon and maybe even try some more testing.

Last edited:
looks like results are going to vary
I have both versions running the new shield, and honestly don't see a difference

I am and have already ordered the second shield but it seems to be taking a little longer to get shipped than the first when I ordered. Since I saw such a difference with my two units I ended up putting the newer Rev B on the 2nd Solo. I had purchased two of them but waited to install the second Rev B on the 2nd Solo so that I could run the test above. I'll let you know if there is a difference between them. I would expect that the 2nd Solo should be better since it has both the Rev B and new shield.

don't think I am going to get a rev b for my second
it is working fine with the shield
Thanks for sharing your findings

I couldn't get it sent from 3DR but from this company here in Australia so that is good hope this helps me Solo GPS Shield V2
Search results for: 'shield'
I used a mail forwarder in the USA to get mine here in Aus. Cost about $40AUD in total (with the 3dr 50% discount). It arrives tomorrow but im at the ski fields for the week [emoji4], i can wait. If weather permits ill get some aerial footage as the main roads in the NP arent part of the NP.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Cynthia Farr
image.jpeg
I tried to place an order using the coupon code "FBGPSV2" only to get an error stating "Coupon code usage limit exceeded".

Is anyone else seeing this problem?
Yes, just tried to order and received same error.

Don't know what the Aussie dollar is at right now, but those prices seem crazy since "shipping" is in a first class envelope like any other business letter.

Don't know what the Aussie dollar is at right now, but those prices seem crazy since "shipping" is in a first class envelope like any other business letter.
Yes i use a mail forwarder for bigger packages and they do ok on those charges but sucks for mailing small packages. Was around $15 USD to send, I'll use a diff provider for smaller parcels in future.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Was your card charged upon ordering, or not until after it came back into stock? I ordered on 7/4. Card was charged on 7/16. Still nothing.

I've just contacted them for the third time about this. They finally admitted their order system screwed it up, they fixed it, and it will ship tomorrow morning. Of course, they said shipping will take 1-2 weeks by USPS. Is it coming an outpost in Fairbanks??? Hopefully they say that since there is no tracking on plain old USPS letter mail and are being overly cautious.

In the 2-3 years I've been buying things from 3DR, at least half of my orders have been screwed up like this. Stuck in processing, never shipped. I end up having to contact Vu directly, or go through customer service three times to get it fixed. Nothing changes.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I've had incomplete orders from them on more than one occasion. That's always fun to sort out. I think everybody else got theirs within a week of shipping notification.

I've had incomplete orders from them on more than one occasion. That's always fun to sort out. I think everybody else got theirs within a week of shipping notification.
I got my shipping notification on 7/8 and still nothing... looks like they sent that envelope to walk all the way east to FL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M