Solo GPS Rev A / Rev B Availability... Official

I only just joined the FB groups over the last few months. So ya, it's not practical searching out old stuff. But I did get his general sentiment of exactly what you said... a properly designed, installed, and configured 7N shouldn't be a problem. Basically, the implementation of the 7N on the solo is the problem. The 8N can overcome some but not all of those implementation issues, and is more of a bandaid. Perhaps this RFI shield will make the 7N's implementation on the Solo work up to it's true potential. And my hope is the 8N will overcome as well.

he is still hardcore against the 8N even to this day, despite some people using it very successfully.
For the record he did solder on a M8(?) series UBlox to a stock module some while back, you had to look at the photo to tell. I dislike FB as well for what we use it for, too hard to find previous posts. I read, but typically don't post...unless I want to mess with Matt....;)

For the record he did solder on a M8(?) series UBlox to a stock module some while back, you had to look at the photo to tell. I dislike FB as well for what we use it for, too hard to find previous posts. I read, but typically don't post...unless I want to mess with Matt....;)
I still don't understand the draw of Facebook and it's format. Very difficult to find anything. Not sure why they use it instead of a traditional forum format.

Reactions: timzee
What really kills about Facebook in general these days, is they don't think we should be able to decide how to sort posts. Every time i refresh, all the posts sort differently. It's infuriating.

That's what I don't understand as well. If I try to hold my place and refresh to see if there are new posts under that subject, I have to start all over again to find it.

Thanks Jubalr. I just finished ordering the V2 GPS Shield. I will definitely time my lock and watch my HDOP and report back after the mod is in. Since the updates in January I haven't had a problem getting lock where I fly. By the time Solo is talking to the controller and I connect my phone to Sololink wifi and start the app I have lock and am ready to fly. And my Solo was on the pre-order last year. I'm still looking forward to a better signal if I can get it.

Just a heads up I talked to support. They stated that rev B is no longer being produced and they will be using the shield as fix from now on... Now as far fetched as this seems I guess it makes sense.

Philip is really promoting the move to ArduPilot Discourse
The reason I stick with facebook is there is a ton of information there that you don't get anywhere else. Hate to say it but with few exceptions I hear about things over there a long time before they make it here.

Philip is really promoting the move to ArduPilot Discourse
The reason I stick with facebook is there is a ton of information there that you don't get anywhere else. Hate to say it but with few exceptions I hear about things over there a long time before they make it here.

What happened with the Solo tuned GPS that Phillip was hinting at that was supposed to be available this summer?

I am not sure, They put their website up today
shows the new pixhawk 2.1 gps module
cant wait to get my hands on one for my x8

Just a heads up I talked to support. They stated that rev B is no longer being produced and they will be using the shield as fix from now on... Now as far fetched as this seems I guess it makes sense.

This does not make sense to me at all. The Rev B had a few improvements, including one to the battery circuit.

Philip has gone into several detailed posts on FB on how they extensively tested 8/7N all over the world and why they went with the 7N. It had some specifics. Good luck finding those with all of the common terms though. But he responds a lot to posts in the comments and gives a little info here and a little there so that's where you need to look lol. I really dislike FB as a data source and trying to find stuff. It wasn't designed for that. But having been reading his posts for 9 months, he is still hardcore against the 8N even to this day, despite some people using it very successfully. I personally have not seen any evidence that a 8N works better than a working 7N. My stock gps has been more or less rock solid for 9 months now. If I lost gps as much as I used to lose wifi signal which was fixed with FPVLR, I might be more tempted to give it a try. I simply haven't had the issues that some others have had. Sure I've lost GPS a few times, but it's pretty rare and kind of expected in the areas I was flying.
I fly the m8n for 6 months, no problems so far, but I enjoy a rock stable performance and fast GPS lock, especially under "difficult " conditions (eg trees). I see no reason to get back to a m7.

Philip is a bit religious about the m8n. All these panic statements why it doesn't work are simply not true in my experience with many hours up in the air under a broad variety of conditions.

You need a high quality m8n board, you need to take greatest care about shielding, and you need to configure it correctly. No beginners mod I am afraid.

There is no high end drone right now on the market to my knowledge which does not benefit from a multi band GPS- except Solo. And technically, from the underlying Arducopter firmware, there's no limitation to use the m8n.

I think I ordered my M8 from RTF Quads. Hopefully the one they sell isn't a POS?

Last edited:
That's what I don't understand as well. If I try to hold my place and refresh to see if there are new posts under that subject, I have to start all over again to find it.
I recently discovered the "save link" feature...it helps..some

Philip is a bit religious about the m8n

Keep in mind that when you read comments from Philip that he was lead engineer on a good chunk of Solo. I give the guy a huge amount of respect for staying active in the community and providing technical support long after parting ways with 3DR. It must be tough constantly defending his creation to a lot of armchair engineers on the interwebs. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong but you can hear it in the tone of the message sometimes going both directions. Not pointed at anyone just stating an observation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc