SOLO follow me mode. issues questions

Most tablets do NOT have full GPS, they have AGPS which uses data gathered from access points to guess a location. Solo requires full GPS to work So either a GPS enabled tablet or phone

will an iphone5 work? I'm thinking of upgrading my iPhone 4 to a 5..

Most if not all phones will work, its only a case of supporting the app in the first place, a lot of tablets have a hybrid WiFi/GPS chip in them, apple seem to jump around and choose a different layout now and again

Most if not all phones will work, its only a case of supporting the app in the first place, a lot of tablets have a hybrid WiFi/GPS chip in them, apple seem to jump around and choose a different layout now and again
Thanks R3A for your input.. Much appreciated :)
would u know what people are using for anISO device with follow me mode..? I would like to know so I can review my options On purchasing an ISO Device that will work with this mode..and it would be nice to know if people are using android device or ISO ..or both?

Reactions: R3AP37
Thanks R3A for your input.. Much appreciated :)
would u know what people are using for anISO device with follow me mode..? I would like to know so I can review my options On purchasing an ISO Device that will work with this mode..and it would be nice to know if people are using android device or ISO ..or both?

I only use Android myself, Well its a Windows Tablet running Android via ConsoleOS. What you need to take into account is the open nature of Android, i will openly communicate with most connected hardware without quarrel. IOS is a little more closed off and can be a pain to get fully working results. You could Buy a bluetooth GPS adapter for any IOS device and attach it to your Solo controller to make up for lack of GPS. Or go and buy a new, but cheap android tablet that has GPS and use it only for that reason.

As for people claiming to use the follow me feature on Ipads, they are, if they are using the cellular version it will be using AGPS to gather location data from its cellular connection, then feeding it back to the solo. It is very unreliable and not recommended as its guesswork at best.

On my setup I use a military grade GPS receiver attached to the tablet, at best it will process almost 1500 coordinate checks a minute and feed it to the solo, giving a very tight GPS lock to about 11".

All I can say for people wanting to use their existing kit is to just wait for the updates, they will take up the slack from the Phone/Tablet side but it must have NATIVE GPS, not AGPS or PCAGPS.

will an iphone5 work? I'm thinking of upgrading my iPhone 4 to a 5..
Yes. An iPhone 5 would work. But I would not recommend it because they are so small. Why not an iPhone 6 plus, or a iPad mini with cellular? Or an Android tablet with cellular data, like a Nexus 7.

Yes. An iPhone 5 would work. But I would not recommend it because they are so small. Why not an iPhone 6 plus, or a iPad mini with cellular? Or an Android tablet with cellular data, like a Nexus 7.
I'll probably get the iphone5.. And it won't bother me if its to small..I'll just need it for follow me mode only really..and then my iPads mini for when I do everything els..

I'll probably get the iphone5.. And it won't bother me if its to small..I'll just need it for follow me mode only really..and then my iPads mini for when I do everything els..

Just a heads up, iPhone 5 is currently not supported by the Solo app and will not install. I think 3DR promised support in the future but I don't know when. The iPhone 5s is currently supported.

Reactions: erikgraham
Just a heads up, iPhone 5 is currently not supported by the Solo app and will not install. I think 3DR promised support in the future but I don't know when. The iPhone 5s is currently supported.
Really ..!!! Thanks for the info Lamda...I would hate to by the wrong phone...I will definitely get the 5S then..good to know..thanks

Really ..!!! Thanks for the info Lamda...I would hate to by the wrong phone...I will definitely get the 5S then..good to know..thanks
I'm the one who said the iPhone 5 would work. My bad. 5s with an s. Sorry about that.

You should definitely make a habit of visiting 3DRs support pages. There is a lot of information there: http://3drobotics.com/kb/solo/

For example, here is a list of supported devices for the Solo app.
http://3drobotics.com/kb/solo-app-compatibility/

mine does not work without cellular
The device needs to be capable of 4G/Cellular, but it doesn't have to be activated (don't need the sim card installed). This is only because Apple doesn't give you a GPS chip unless you have the cellular version of the device. I guess those are the only ones who Apple thinks uses GPS lol. Nice way to get you to spend an extra $130 for a $1 sensor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anomaly.Filmworks