Solo crash

Reaction score
So I was flying my 3dr solo drone and it lost the GPS signal then it crashed I try to hit the pause button but nothing happened and my drone disintegrated so I call 3dr and they said it was my fault has anybody else had that problem. I'm thinking about taking 3dr to court does anybody else want to join in

LOL. You want to take 3DR to court because you didn't know how to operate the product you bought. Good luck with that.

When GPS is lost, you are the only one that can tell it what to do. You are responsible for flying it manually in a safe and controlled manner. The pause/brake function requires GPS, so that function is not going to do anything when there is no GPS. You didn't know how to maintain control in manual flight and crashed. That is not 3DR's fault. That is your own.

I take it you've never read the manual? Seek here - Solo User Manual | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

A couple of exerts from the manual....but I highly recommend spending the time reading the entire manual prior to flying....

7.2.4 GPS Signal Alerts
If Solo loses GPS during flight, it switches into Fly:Manual. If this happens, we recommend that you land Solo and wait to acquire GPS lock before taking off again.

In Fly:Manual, Solo uses the same joystick controls as in standard flight (displayed as “Fly”), but it does not use GPS positioning. Thus, Solo does not hold its position when you release the right stick, so you must maintain close control over roll, pitch, and yaw. Without GPS, Pause, Return Home, and Smart Shots are not available. During Land, Solo cannot maintain position due to the lack of GPS positioning, and drifts according to wind and other environmental conditions. If another alert occurs while Solo is in Fly:Manual, Solo cannot return home and instead initiates a non-positioned landing at the current location

So I was flying my 3dr solo drone and it lost the GPS signal then it crashed I try to hit the pause button but nothing happened and my drone disintegrated so I call 3dr and they said it was my fault has anybody else had that problem. I'm thinking about taking 3dr to court does anybody else want to join in

I just experienced a similar situation. I tried flying my 3dr solo the first time without an issues. My third time with my GoPro Hero4. It took off as usual, but when I tried to pan my camera, there was a message saying something like "Gimbal is not installed". All of a sudden, solo rose up to above 15' above ground and I pulled it back down, but instead of coming back down straight as it did the first two times, it increased its speed and flew down side way and crashed to the side of my neighbor's driveway about 54 feet away from where took off. The two left props which it landed on were broken into pieces, damaging the motor/engine on that side as well. The battery was disengaged and scratched; one of the LED light cover flew off and was unable to find. The worst thing was after the crash, the controller and solo were no longer communicating to each other. In other words, solo cannot be started and fly again because the controller didn't communicate with solo.

Solo and the controller log all flights, you should submit those logs to 3DR for further eval of what happened. Please understand every aspect of the flight is logged, they are able to ID in most cases the exact cause of the failure whether the control systems or human error....

Please search the forum for TLogs and guidance for downloading them from the controller. I believe the info is located in the FAQ under Solo Help here at this forum.

First post, first flight, and already calling for a lawsuit.
Man take it easy and learn how to fly :)

Fly:Manual that what the 3dr documentation manual says, but my question is if the gps gradually losing gps the controller will notify or the tablet give a voice message warning?

Last edited:
Knowing how unreliable the gps is on the Solo, especially around buildings, trees, shrubs and tall grass, you needed to be familiar with flying in manual.

First post, first flight, and already calling for a lawsuit.
Man take it easy and learn how to fly :)

Well, my order came in and the charger was not working. I talked to Amazon where I bought the thing from. They issued me RMA and label to return. I contacted them via chat to see if I can get only a replacement for the charger instead of sending the whole package back. He offered me 20% refund so I can keep the order and buy a new charger on my own. To make a long story short, he at the end took his offer back and can only offer 10% discount. I bought the new charger and that's why everything happened. I should have just return the damn thing and buy a new package.

I just experienced a similar situation. I tried flying my 3dr solo the first time without an issues. My third time with my GoPro Hero4. It took off as usual, but when I tried to pan my camera, there was a message saying something like "Gimbal is not installed". All of a sudden, solo rose up to above 15' above ground and I pulled it back down, but instead of coming back down straight as it did the first two times, it increased its speed and flew down side way and crashed to the side of my neighbor's driveway about 54 feet away from where took off. The two left props which it landed on were broken into pieces, damaging the motor/engine on that side as well. The battery was disengaged and scratched; one of the LED light cover flew off and was unable to find. The worst thing was after the crash, the controller and solo were no longer communicating to each other. In other words, solo cannot be started and fly again because the controller didn't communicate with solo.

Various parts of the Solo were smashed into pieces, along with broken motors. And you're upset you can't connect the controller to fly??? Pretty sure it wouldn't be flying even if the controller did connect.

As has been suggested already, open a ticket with 3DR using the app while connected to the controller. It will download the logs and send them to 3DR. You have a warranty. Use it.

Also, no I do not think your new charger caused your crash. Unless your charger grew wings, flew into the air, and caused a collision.

Too many pilots rely on GPS and have zero experience flying a quad in manual. I would never risk flying a quad of this price point without first learning to fly in manual mode. The Solo is my fourth quad. I started with a Helimax SQ1 mini quad that I learned to fly on. Obviously it has no GPS. I still fly it around the office to keep my skills sharp. From there I purchased a Parrot Bebop, then the Yuneec Q500+ and lastly the DJI Inspire 1 prior to selling to purchase the Solo. I could fly all of the above in manual mode. Its a must because as this post shows you cannot rely on GPS. Sorry for your loss OP but its totally your fault. 3DR would laugh at your frivolous lawsuit.

Reactions: Maddog
Fly:Manual that what the 3dr documentation manual says, but my question is if the gps gradually losing gps the controller will notify or the tablet give a voice message warning?
YES, a nice lady voice will tell u. I now wear earphone those small plug type, so that I can hear better. Tablet or smartphon speaker is never good quality or loud enough :)

Reactions: Toiletbowl
Here is where the problem lies.......... aside from "RTFM" ( read the freakin' manual )

Long time ago, we do not carry GPS all day long, now many of us do, inside our smartphone. Well I always turn my LOCATION off.
My first GPS able phone was the famous Nokia N-95 in 2007. Poor sensitivity back then, but useable if open sky. Phone cost a fortune.
Fast forward today, even el-cheapo under US$150 branded Samsung smartphone has GPS chip.
Rewind a bit some years back before 2015. Many smartphones OEM get smart, no GPS no problem, lets call it A-GPS ...LOL.
Cell phone triangulation was used as A-GPS. Then come wifi hot spot able to give positioning data.... yada yada, I do not know what they call that feature. So I think many people today will think that as long as their cellphone shows signal, it surely has GPS positioning too. :)

So those lazy to RTFM, will assume that GPS is like air we breath, no matter where you are, it will always work ..:) and accurate.

I think its the same as the word TURBO, which to many means FAST, while not knowing the true mechanical meaning of it , or how it works.

There is a funny story. I was at a camera store one day. The come a guy who is was warranty claiming a GoPro remote control to the shop, he said "This remote control is defective, because it does not work underwater !!" LOL.

So, if I were the OP :
"I will sue 3DR , I will email my lawyer from my waterproof-housed iPhone 6S..... while I am 3 feet underwater in my pool relaxing myself, I will get a Turbocharged response because 3DR will piss in their pants !! :) "

Too many pilots rely on GPS and have zero experience flying a quad in manual. I would never risk flying a quad of this price point without first learning to fly in manual mode. The Solo is my fourth quad. I started with a Helimax SQ1 mini quad that I learned to fly on. Obviously it has no GPS. I still fly it around the office to keep my skills sharp. From there I purchased a Parrot Bebop, then the Yuneec Q500+ and lastly the DJI Inspire 1 prior to selling to purchase the Solo. I could fly all of the above in manual mode. Its a must because as this post shows you cannot rely on GPS. Sorry for your loss OP but its totally your fault. 3DR would laugh at your frivolous lawsuit.
Totally agree!
I started out with a Syma X5C, then on to the X8C just to see if I could fly a quad. After lots of practice I moved up to the Solo.

I used to say "anybody can fly a quad if all the automation is working", but it seems I was wrong.

Ya gotta learn to fly without the GPS, etc., first in case it fails.

Totally agree!
I started out with a Syma X5C, then on to the X8C just to see if I could fly a quad. After lots of practice I moved up to the Solo.

I used to say "anybody can fly a quad if all the automation is working", but it seems I was wrong.

Ya gotta learn to fly without the GPS, etc., first in case it fails.
Totally agree, it is also more fun to fly without gps. With that said, I also believe quads capable of flying missions and waypoints need to have the most dependable gps capabilities. I believe 3dr missed the boat here by not having glonass capabilities. I know some will disagree with me but I also have a quad that has gps and glonass and in over a year I have never had a gps issue in any environment that I fly in. So there must be something to having both.

I had a crash yesterday too. Went into "follow-me" mode (as I have done many times before with no problem) and it went totally rogue. Despite hitting "exit smart shot" and then the pause button, it ignored any commands and crashed into a metal roof and was totally destroyed. It wouldn't even turn off as it continued to thrash around on the ground. The GoPro was damaged too. I will be on the phone with them Monday morning. Total loss.

LOL. You want to take 3DR to court because you didn't know how to operate the product you bought. Good luck with that.

When GPS is lost, you are the only one that can tell it what to do. You are responsible for flying it manually in a safe and controlled manner. The pause/brake function requires GPS, so that function is not going to do anything when there is no GPS. You didn't know how to maintain control in manual flight and crashed. That is not 3DR's fault. That is your own.

I disagree. See my post about my crash yesterday. Totally destroyed the Solo and probably the GoPro too. It was not a loss of GPS. It had been working fine for at least an hour just prior, then suddenly went totally rogue and would respond to no commands. Flew into a metal roof and blasted into pieces. After hundreds of flights, it goes completely nuts and wont stop. It wouldn't even shut down after it hit the ground and continued to thrash around until the battery could be disconnected. I think the latest software upgrade made this happen. I have done the same shot set up several times with no problems. I will not accept pilot error in this case.

I disagree. See my post about my crash yesterday. Totally destroyed the Solo and probably the GoPro too. It was not a loss of GPS. It had been working fine for at least an hour just prior, then suddenly went totally rogue and would respond to no commands. Flew into a metal roof and blasted into pieces. After hundreds of flights, it goes completely nuts and wont stop. It wouldn't even shut down after it hit the ground and continued to thrash around until the battery could be disconnected. I think the latest software upgrade made this happen. I have done the same shot set up several times with no problems. I will not accept pilot error in this case.
Can you post the log?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado