Solo App issue when using 2.7k 60fps with a GoPro Hero 4 Black

Does your video feed become enlarged when hitting record using a GoPro Hero 4 Black at 2.7k, 60fps?

• Total voters
are your recordings stretched like in those screenshots?

I have the GoPro Hero 4 Black with 5.0 firmware and NTSC and none of your issues. if your recordings are normal, then it looks like a smartphone issue. rebooting everything didn't fix things (the phone, the gopro and the controller)?

as for field of view (FOV), the GoPro lens is a fisheye lens. So center will be the least distorted and as you go toward the outer edge of the lens, it will get more distorted. So wide is the full lens and thus the greatest field of view but the most distortion as you go toward the periphery of the image. Medium merely crops away the outer parts of the lens (so it basically throws away the most distorted part) so it looks more normal. That why the view looks more "zoomed in". Narrow crops even more so you're only getting the most middle part of the lens which is the least distorting. And thus it looks super zoomed in. But narrow will look the most normal and most approximate to traditional lenses.

I have the GoPro Hero 4 Black with 5.0 firmware and NTSC and none of your issues. if your recordings are normal, then it looks like a smartphone issue. rebooting everything didn't fix things (the phone, the gopro and the controller)?

as for field of view (FOV), the GoPro lens is a fisheye lens. So center will be the least distorted and as you go toward the outer edge of the lens, it will get more distorted. So wide is the full lens and thus the greatest field of view but the most distortion as you go toward the periphery of the image. Medium merely crops away the outer parts of the lens (so it basically throws away the most distorted part) so it looks more normal. That why the view looks more "zoomed in". Narrow crops even more so you're only getting the most middle part of the lens which is the least distorting. And thus it looks super zoomed in. But narrow will look the most normal and most approximate to traditional lenses.
This can not be! All this problem!

No, the GoPro videos have always been fine.

Really? Are you on iPhone or Android? So when you are using 2.7k, 60fps, the image does not warp when you start recording? My iPhone 6 is fine, it's using the latest iOS, the App version is the latest, same with the controller and the Solo. I always keep everything up to date, and I often do a double hard-reset on my iPhone, so it wouldn't be the issue. And besides - I've seen this issue since 2015. It's only with 2.7k, 60fps. But the problem is - that's my preferred recording format.

Thanks - yes, holditnowfilms, mentioned this earlier. Although - there is now Narrow FOV in 2.7k, 60fps.

I had the same issue.... It apparently isn't related to the Solo because I removed the camera from the Solo, Shot a short video of my dog... Same issue. I rolled the gopro firmware back to the previous release... Problem solved.

I have Android. none of these problems in the app or in the recordings. I also prefer 2.7k60 because it's the highest that allows 60 fps.

On what firmware gopro?
I didn't really pay attention to the revision number. It was just common sense to me. Used to work fine... and after the auto update, broke.
So I reverted to the previous release tested... worked fine so I disabled updates.

I only use 2k and 4k mode when I am capturing video to make a poster or large print.
I can only view 2.6k on my computer
My TV is 1080p so it's not really worth it to go any higher for video.

I have Android. none of these problems in the app or in the recordings. I also prefer 2.7k60 because it's the highest that allows 60 fps.

I'm sure everyone here knows this but just aren't saying. You always capture video higher than what you want and then down rez.

1080p is still overkill when posting to YouTube.
Also disk space requirements for 2.6k and 4k are higher.
I am fine with recording 1080p video is primarily for me, my family and friends I only benefit from higher resolution when I am going for large photos.

If I was shooting video for money then I would record in a higher resolution .. for my purposes I do not need to do that.

I had the same issue.... It apparently isn't related to the Solo because I removed the camera from the Solo, Shot a short video of my dog... Same issue. I rolled the gopro firmware back to the previous release... Problem solved.

Jerryn I think what you're mentioning there is a different issue. My GoPro has no issue in recording - on or off the Solo. The issue is the warping of the live the video feed within the Solo App once you hit record in 2.7k 60fps.

I'm sure everyone here knows this but just aren't saying. You always capture video higher than what you want and then down rez.

This is the reason for this post. 2.7k @60fps is my preferred shooting format as it gives the best frame rate at the largest frame size (4k @30fps is inferior, for my purposes). The problem is - I'm prevented from shooting video effectively because once you hit record - the Solo App warps the video feed (see this earlier post with example images).

I use Medium FOV to reduce warping.... in 2.7k and 4k is switch between narrow and medium. I've always done this.. even when mounting my camera on my wrangler when I ride trails. Take the GoPro out of cradle, slap a the backpack on it if you have one... if not just shoot video in different FPV modes, pan and tilt while shooting video. This is why a lot of people modify their lenses. I'm going to do it, it's on my list. Right now I'm concentrating on increasing range and experimenting with the Tower App.

Here's a great link for lenses:

GoPro Hero 4 Black & Silver Lenses – Peau Productions

I am running an older version than that when I get home from work I will post the version. With the falling out between GoPro and 3dr I wouldn't rule out that firmware developed after the falling out has enough issues to make it quirky.

As promised I wanted to update the thread regarding my GoPro 4 Hero Black formware version that I use with my Solo.. and I do not have errors.
I am running version 3.0 This version is 100% compatible with the Solo Gimbal. I believe when 3DR and GoPro had a falling out, GoPro broke compatability with the GoPro Hero 4 firmware updates

I use Medium FOV to reduce warping.... in 2.7k and 4k is switch between narrow and medium.

Thanks Jerryn. You must be only using 30fps as I don't think Narrow is available in 2.7k 60fps. And I think this issue only happens with frame rates > 30fps.

Here's another useful resource that's been posted on this forum:

https://3drpilots.com/threads/suggested-gopro-settings-for-solo.1657/

Thanks - yeah I did see that a while back. It also recommends 2.7k 60fps, which is where the issue is. It does seem that firmware is the issue.

I posted about this a while back. The solution is to roll back the firmware to v3. That's the last version supported by Solo.

https://3drpilots.com/threads/gph-4...ling-problem-on-firmware-v-5.8986/#post-95829

Thanks very much - looks like that's the solution, as a few people have mentioned (apart from dirtyvu who is also using firmware v5?). It's been over a week since I submitted a ticket about it to 3DR after they requested more info. Not sure how keen they are on still supporting problems like this? Someone who is more active than me in this forum probably knows more about that.

it seems the common thread is ios. can't you borrow an android phone from someone and try it out?

rolling back to such an old firmware seems weird.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela