Solo App issue when using 2.7k 60fps with a GoPro Hero 4 Black

Does your video feed become enlarged when hitting record using a GoPro Hero 4 Black at 2.7k, 60fps?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue with a GoPro is a Hero 4 Black when you have it set to 2.7K, 60fps. When I hit the record button through the Solo App, my GoPro video feed is suddenly enlarged. This makes it impossible to accurately frame what is being recorded because you can't see the bounds of the video frame. Additionally - the video image is blurred, but this may be just a result of the video enlarging issue.

Before or after pressing the record button, the full frame is shown and the image is clear and correct size. Using other resolutions, like 1080p - it's fine, there is no enlarging when recording.

My Solo app and Solo firmware are all the latest versions. The GoPro Hero 4 Black's firmware is 05.0.0. I suspect that because the GoPro Black's firmware was updated in February of 2015 to allow 2.7K at 60fps - that this may be the issue? That update is listed here : GoPro News: Firmware Update for HERO4 Silver & Black - Feb 2015. Perhaps the Solo App was not updated to accommodate this update?

Anyhow - does your Solo also do this?

Thank you,

Jayden

Edit: apologies if this should be in Solo Help forum. I'll be happy to delete and re-post there if this is better etiquette.

Edit 2: I'm unsure of my FOV settings - will check those.

Last edited:
I had some type of problem with my video - think it appeared stretched. I was running GoPro V5 firmware. I downgraded to V3 to resolve this issue.

Wow ok thanks. The only update advantage of 5.0.0 is Linear FOV, but I can do that in post editing if need be.

Wow ok thanks. The only update advantage of 5.0.0 is Linear FOV, but I can do that in post editing if need be.

I use a lens with no distortion, so it was no problem for me to lose the Linear FOV. Another benefit of using V3 is that the camera turns on automatically when you start your Solo.

Reactions: skyhax
Another benefit of using V3 is that the camera turns on automatically when you start your Solo.

Ok nice one. I'm not sure if that's the case with 5.0.0 because I always start the GoPro before Solo after an early issue where there was no video feed if you started the GoPro after the Solo. Looks like I'll be downgrading :) Although 3DR are looking at it at the moment so we'll see what happens there.

Here's the issue.

1080, 60fps before recording:

IMG_0478.PNG

1080, 60fps during recording. Note: video stream is perfect:

IMG_0479.PNG

Here is the GoPro Hero 4 Black in 2.7k, 60fps before recording:

IMG_0480.PNG
Here is the GoPro Hero 4 Black in 2.7k, 60fps during recording. Note the extreme stretching, making it impossible to correctly frame the shot during flight:

IMG_0481.PNG
Settings are correct:

IMG_0482.PNG IMG_0483.PNG

Also tested the only other available FOV mode, which is Wide. This is before recording:

IMG_0484.PNG
During recording: you can see warping again. Not as bad, but still makes it impossible to accurately frame a scene during flight.

IMG_0485.PNG

In the PAL, there is no such problem
Wow, really. So NTSC is the issue! I'll have to work out the sequential steps to change my GoPro... the screen is completely busted after numerous racing drone incidents :p

I asked Kelly a question, maybe in future updates it will be possible to fix this?

Are you sure it isn't the med setting that is cropping. Perhaps the feed doesn't show the sensor crop until after record. Try it on a tv hdmi output and see if it changes there too

Are you sure it isn't the med setting that is cropping. Perhaps the feed doesn't show the sensor crop until after record. Try it on a tv hdmi output and see if it changes there too
Do you mean med as in - 2.7k 60fps on Medium FOV? Can you clarify that please? Ok that's an interesting test. I'll try it when I can.

Yeah in Medium mode the sensor is cropped to the middle leaving the wide edges out of capture. It's a 4:3 sensor so only the center gets used when in med mode. In wide mode only the center but also full width. In 4:3 the whole sensor is used. So the lack of distortion is really the fact the sensor is getting cropped so the barrel dist. is cut off. the live feed doesn't need to adjust until the record button is pressed. Only Then it may send a cropped feed to the receiver. IF the feed matches the recording then that would make sense.

I see what you mean about the 4:3 sensor, and the various cropping. That's interesting. If you look at the screenshots from the Solo App above, I've included both Medium and Wide FOV. In both cases its the width that is squashed. So it looks like the image is zoomed, and horizontally squashed.

That is strange. Let me know if it does the same thing when you use a TV or different monitor. It could be a glitch in the way the receiver is reading the image. I have some strange issues from time to time. Occasionally when I hit record it records the video stream to my phone photo library but not the camera and when it does all the screen menu info is recorded too. Have not figured out why. No way to double check to make sure it recorded to the camera easily so I always do at least two shots to start with. It usually happens on the first shot of the day.

That's amazing - both the last two posts. It's especially annoying because original purpose of the Solo was to be a videography drone. That's why I bought it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea