Solex: New App just for Solo!

You need to jump into DIY
Solo is my fun flyer.
On my custom build I have a list of todos a mile long. They are on hold waiting on the PH2 to ship
Ugh... I think Solo is DIY, the way I do it - or the way I imagine it... Just too many @#$%# hobbies and interests!

Can anyone please supply a link to the Solex website and the Facebook page?
I tried clicking on the "visit website" here Solex - Android Apps on Google Play and it hangs for a while and then shows up as not being able to load.
I just can't seem to find the FB page either.

I would like to find out about this app and it's capability/compatability with Nexus 7 second gen WiFi tablet. I know it has a GPS chip set but before purchasing the App, I want to know how the features fair with the tablet.
I don't want to bother Kelly (the developer) with a barage of emails before doing my own homework.

Cheers
Aussie

edit, it's a late 2013 Nexus 7

Can anyone please supply a link to the Solex website and the Facebook page?
I tried clicking on the "visit website" here Solex - Android Apps on Google Play and it hangs for a while and then shows up as not being able to load.
I just can't seem to find the FB page either.

I would like to find out about this app and it's capability/compatability with Nexus 7 second gen WiFi tablet. I know it has a GPS chip set but before purchasing the App, I want to know how the features fair with the tablet.
I don't want to bother Kelly (the developer) with a barage of emails before doing my own homework.

Cheers
Aussie

edit, it's a late 2013 Nexus 7
I use the program on the same tablet. Works excellent and I highly recommend the program for any Solo user. More features than the 3DR program and excellent response and updates from the developer. I haven't used the 3DR app for some time now. FB Link...

I don't think he has an actual fb page.. I am sure he will see this.

Do you have any issues downloading other new apps?

I have had that happen before with other apps not wanting to install. Try a soft reset of your device connect to a good working wifi connection with internet and try again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't think he has an actual fb page.. I am sure he will see this.

Do you have any issues downloading other new apps?

I have had that happen before with other apps not wanting to install. Try a soft reset of your device connect to a good working wifi connection with internet and try again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
He does have a FB page that he created for Solex and Solex users. It is at This Link as Posted above..

Reactions: prowler9
Jubalr,
Cheers mate. I joined the FB page. Appreciate the link and the info that you have the same tablet.

Prowler9,
Thanks for your input mate. I have not yet bought the app. I just wanted to make sure it played nicely with a non-cell powered tablet as mine is wifi only, albeit with the GPS chip before I pay for the app.

I think I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Aussie

OK, I bought the app. I had all sorts of trouble with my bank card after using in for the first time on the Google Play Store involving emails and phone calls and texts from my bank, but that's another story.

I can't get the smart shots to work. Here is how it plays out.

Solo in the air at about 20 ft alt.
Click the smart shot menu
Click the appropriate smart shot
The screen comes up (I tried selfie and orbit)
Play and or rewind button is grayed out as is the pause button. Not clickable.

I'm not an Android man, I use iOS. Do I need to give permissions or something to the app to use the GPS like I would with Apple?
Again, it's a late 2013 Nexus 7 WiFi (no cell) running Android 6x

Cheers
Aussie

I added an Android tablet to my AT&T plan just for Solo and this app :) I have owned 2 Yuneec's and have a Mavic on pre-order but still picked up a Solo. Love the open source nature of it and needed something to do with my GoPro anyway.

ok created a FB account just for this app lol and asked this there also. Bought an android tablet just for this app too. Couple of things. When I try an open any of the files saved in the Solex folder, the tablet tries to open them as a PDF and fails. I don't see a way to tell the android tab to 'open as' or 'open with' like i can with iOS. Second problem is saving to the eternal SD card. I have actually deleted Solex and all it's associated folders to try and fix this. When I check the box to 'Store Files Externally' it says that it is copying the files to external device, but when I check using the file manager it actually hasn't. When I flew yesterday it saved everything internally.

Last thing. On the solo app it will save pictures and things to my device, I know the ones stored on the SD in the GoPro are higher quality but I liked this feature. Does or can Solex do this? If it does I don't seem to be able to get this to work either.

I am using a LG G Pad x 8.0 (LG-V520) with Android 6.0.1 32Gb of internal memory and a 64 Gb Samsung EVO+ external card. The GoPro is a 4 Silver with the latest firmware.

Played with the Optical tracking a little yesterday and it seemed to work well, but I still have some fiddling to do to get the settings right. Cable Cab and zipline worked great.

PS what are you using for screen recording

OK, i scanned all 8 pages and correct me if i am wrong... but i do not think that the Solex app gives full camera control of the GoPro Hero 3+ silver. Is that correct. Is that even an issue that can be fixed by a flight app or is that something that GoPro and 3DR would have to fix. You would think an app could correct that issue. I would think it would just be a matter of software coding. I have downgraded my 3+ GoPro version to work with the Solo app as far as video feeds, but no camera control. I have to start a video recording before launch. Would love to be able to click photos in flight. Seems the only answer is to sell my 3+ silver for a black or a 4.

OK, i scanned all 8 pages and correct me if i am wrong... but i do not think that the Solex app gives full camera control of the GoPro Hero 3+ silver. Is that correct. Is that even an issue that can be fixed by a flight app or is that something that GoPro and 3DR would have to fix. You would think an app could correct that issue. I would think it would just be a matter of software coding. I have downgraded my 3+ GoPro version to work with the Solo app as far as video feeds, but no camera control. I have to start a video recording before launch. Would love to be able to click photos in flight. Seems the only answer is to sell my 3+ silver for a black or a 4.
3+ Silver is, for all intents and purposes, not compatible - except to the extent that you've discovered.

IF 3DR or GoPro has to fix it... it ain't happening. 3DR is history as far as new HW, SW, development, and GoPro is done with the 3 and 4 line and have a recent habit of not caring about GP/Solo compatibility beyond what exists today. So far, they have only been able to break compatibility with updates. If we are lucky, I'd say there may be FW updates for 3s and 4s in the future, but I'd be about 99% certain those updates will NOT address Solo compatibility. Time to move up to a newer discontinued GP! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tommie Thomas
I purchased Solex sight unseen, as I had not even received my Solo at that point. My faith is in the individual to keep the Solo doing new tricks from now on. And, since I own Android tablets as well as an iPad mini 2, I don't really care which platform it's written for.

Bring it on, smart people! Bring whatever you have in the form of software development to this wonderful bit of hardware! Keep it flying!!!

what is the different between solex and solex target?

I have purchase the solex.

besides one is free? and less features. are all of the free version features in the paid version. I have not used the app yet.

do I need the free version? if I own the paid version.

Solex target works as it's named. The device you run target as works as follow me I believe on Solex. You would still need Solex in order for it to work.

Will this work on an android tablet? I'm an apple owner and would prefer not to by an android phone just for my Solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will this work on an android tablet? I'm an apple owner and would prefer not to by an android phone just for my Solo.

The consensus is yes, but different tablets have different results. The most popular one I've seen used on here is the NVidia Shield K1 (which I have) and it does work well. What tablet do you have?

The consensus is yes, but different tablets have different results. The most popular one I've seen used on here is the NVidia Shield K1 (which I have) and it does work well. What tablet do you have?

Currently none (except my iPad mini). I've seen Solex and Tower out there on interwebs and have been kicking around getting a droid just for my solo (and other video productions). So I'm interested in hearing what works with it (besides your kind input).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo