Solex: New App just for Solo!

A lot if not all of the GoPro incompatibility and problems are entirely on GoPro. That's one thing 3DR can only do so much about.

folks I could be wrong, but been around since the begining.
I owned a 3
and was never under any impression that it would be supported
I knew a 3+ would be partially supported.

Besides you may want to start reading some of the more big picture posts
I would not expect too much more out fo 3DR right now

Reactions: Thegeek and SARDG
folks I could be wrong, but been around since the begining.
I owned a 3
and was never under any impression that it would be supported
I knew a 3+ would be partially supported.
That's also what I remember from many months ago, and that's why after my first 3+ I never bought less than a 3+ again.

Haven't been flying Solo that long, but have been researching them from the early days when Solo (and then the gimbal) were nothing more than a promise.

Reactions: pyrate
I read the manual before I purchased. It clearly states camera control is available for 3+ Black, or either 4 model. Live feed available from all models 3 and up. I didn't feel duped.

Page 22:
3.2.9 Recommended GoPro Settings For optimal results, adjust your camera settings to these recommended values. If you’re using the Solo Gimbal with the GoPro Hero3+ Black or either Hero4 model (Silver or Black), you can change settings in flight: For details, see Section 6.1.3, Camera Controls and Settings, on page 40.

Page 30:
The GoPro® is recording. If have the Solo Gimbal and the GoPro HERO4, you can start and stop recording midflight. You can also change camera settings in flight while not recording.

Page 80:
Camera: Streaming video compatible with GoPro® HERO 3, 3+ or 4 Full compatibility with GoPro® HERO 4

There are more mentions in there... just use the search function in the pdf manual for "gopro"

Reactions: IceFyre13th
I read the manual before I purchased. It clearly states camera control is available for 3+ Black, or either 4 model. Live feed available from all models 3 and up. I didn't feel duped.

Page 22:

Page 30:

Page 80:

There are more mentions in there... just use the search function in the pdf manual for "gopro"

Exactly, I read everything available before purchase..............BTW I have GoPro hero 3+ Black

Bottom line, if I knew it was only going to have "limited" control of the camera I would of stayed with my home built UAV's and stayed away from Solo.

I used 3DR for everything before Solo (APM, GPS, etc.)..I had confidence they would do great things with Solo (and they promised to do so)....the marketplace where I think they should of stayed, supplying parts for the home builder......Solo lead them down a dark path towards their end, they wont even build PixHawk II now.

Now I hope the community can fill in the missing pieces that 3DR is not going to do, hopefully this new app can be made to do the same functions with GoPro 3 and up across the board (wish I had the smarts to help, but I don't code......LOL).

I would not look for that. The challenge is what GoPro makes available to developers. Has nothing to do with 3dr.

Sorry but I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum. I have a question regarding the settings of Solex under App settings. Can someone explain the three options offered under "Object Tracking Type" and which should be used and under what case scenario?
Appreciate the wisdom of some of you guru's in here on this! Thanks!

Guys,

Rather than start a new thread...

Is it possible to recommend new functions to the developer?

I'm in a search and rescue team in the UK and I've been setting up my Solo to use as a proof of concept demonstrator for SUAV. Some of the key limimitations I have on a low cost platform are that: it is difficult to know exactly where the Solo is, which way it is pointing and it's actual altitude above ground (we work in mountains and altitude relative to home point isn't much use!).

The change requirements I'd put forward are:
  1. Priority: must. On screen display of current coordinates in British National Grid format (simple display of current WGS 84 coordinates with conversion to UK coordinate system?). To allow us to plot current position of Solo on the search manage to systems maps.
  2. Priority: should. On screen display of current bearing taken from digital compass. To allow us to use the current coordinates with the bearing to work out the approximate location of an item of interest visible in the video feed.
  3. Priority: should. On screen display of actual altitude above ground level. Could be calculated by taking GPS altitude and subtracting the DTM ground level provided by the Ordnance Survey based on current GPS coordinates. To allow us to maintain a safe altitude in some fairly featureless terrain.
  4. Priority: could. Link altitude above ground level to flight controls so that Solo maintains a minimum/maximum altitude above ground level. This could automatically adjust altitude to avoid running in to a hillside/slope. It would also keep the maximum altitude below the CAA limit or a manually defined limit if there are SAR helicopters operating in the area.
  5. Priority: would. API interface to pass current coordinates and an ID to third party mapping software. To allow the solos location to be automatically displayed on the search management map alongside other resources, such as search teams, helicopters, etc. This would improve the safe operation of the Solo and make more efficient use of it in some complex situations.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this request. If someone can point me to the developer's website or give me his contact details that would be appreciated.

Guys, ...Rather than start a new thread... Is it possible to recommend new functions to the developer?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this request. If someone can point me to the developer's website or give me his contact details that would be appreciated.
Like all Android apps, the developer's contact info is listed in that app's Play Store page under "Read More". You will find Kelly Schrock's email address there and he is also a member on this board.

Kelly has been responsive to suggested changes, but I see many of your priorities as 1) being well beyond the scope of a consumer app, and 2) technically impossible to achieve with current hardware - both Solo's and Android's.

Regardless, and because of other user's specific desire for drones as a SAR tool, your post would likely have warranted a entire discussion in a separate and new thread where those interested in SAR use good congregate.

Why Solex don't give us a verry funy panorama photos function?

That's could be a very good improvement that let me - and some other users - buy it! ;)

No so difficult to produce .... am I wrong?

Reactions: Alpine
Guys,

Rather than start a new thread...

Is it possible to recommend new functions to the developer?

I'm in a search and rescue team in the UK and I've been setting up my Solo to use as a proof of concept demonstrator for SUAV. Some of the key limimitations I have on a low cost platform are that: it is difficult to know exactly where the Solo is, which way it is pointing and it's actual altitude above ground (we work in mountains and altitude relative to home point isn't much use!).

The change requirements I'd put forward are:
  1. Priority: must. On screen display of current coordinates in British National Grid format (simple display of current WGS 84 coordinates with conversion to UK coordinate system?). To allow us to plot current position of Solo on the search manage to systems maps.
  2. Priority: should. On screen display of current bearing taken from digital compass. To allow us to use the current coordinates with the bearing to work out the approximate location of an item of interest visible in the video feed.
  3. Priority: should. On screen display of actual altitude above ground level. Could be calculated by taking GPS altitude and subtracting the DTM ground level provided by the Ordnance Survey based on current GPS coordinates. To allow us to maintain a safe altitude in some fairly featureless terrain.
  4. Priority: could. Link altitude above ground level to flight controls so that Solo maintains a minimum/maximum altitude above ground level. This could automatically adjust altitude to avoid running in to a hillside/slope. It would also keep the maximum altitude below the CAA limit or a manually defined limit if there are SAR helicopters operating in the area.
  5. Priority: would. API interface to pass current coordinates and an ID to third party mapping software. To allow the solos location to be automatically displayed on the search management map alongside other resources, such as search teams, helicopters, etc. This would improve the safe operation of the Solo and make more efficient use of it in some complex situations.
Hi,

Solex is geared more towards videos / photos and smartshots. I suggest you use Tower for your use case. You can modify towers code, available on github. What your asking for is exactly whats needed but not written by anyone yet.

I also do Search and Rescue stuff but not with my RPA's due to our agency using other agencies RPAs when needed.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I like that the solex app is not trying to be the 3dr app
Pano works fine in the latest iteration of IOS and Android
so If I needed to do one of those shots I would just use the 3dr app.

Hi,
I'm interested in this app. Just wanted to know if metric system is supported in the app. Anyone knows?

I left this morning planning to fly 5 batteries on solex and get used to it.
I ended up flying 2 and gave up. Most likely my fault but I just could not get it to work.
flew three in IOS
Getting ready to head to the beach. going IOS
everything just works

I left this morning planning to fly 5 batteries on solex and get used to it.
I ended up flying 2 and gave up. Most likely my fault but I just could not get it to work...
Wish I had time to fly to try out apps and mods. Only time to order parts for mods - only some of which I actually do - and of course be a keyboard kommando on 3drpilots. :(

You need to jump into DIY
Solo is my fun flyer.
On my custom build I have a list of todos a mile long. They are on hold waiting on the PH2 to ship

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo