Solex for Solo

Yes, yes , thank you Kelly. My stumbling block was how to ID batteries in Solex. Roger that there is no auto ID, but how do I identify the battery on the Solex app?

Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble tracking with this question. You give the battery a name that matches up with the ID you've written on the battery case ...I seem to be missing something here. :)

Kelly Schrock
2 hrs
Just in time for the day 2 days before 12.4! Here is Solex 1.2.4.

Here's what's new in this version:

. Movable Cable Cam

This is something a few people asked for, and I must say, it's a pretty good idea. Once you've created a cable cam and gotten all of its moves the way you want them, it's nice to be able to fly it somewhere else without having to re-create it manually. Here's how it works: When you load a previous Cable Cam and you're more than 20 meters away from its original start location, you'll see a prompt asking if you want to run it in place, or move it. If you say "Yes, move it", it will move everything so the start of the Cable is right where your copter is. Then when you hit "Fly me there", it will just rise (or drop) to the altitude where the cable starts. (Note that this is AGL, so the moved cable's altitude will be the same altitude above the current location as it was in the original location.) There's a video below showing a really lame demo of it.

. Flight Profiles params display

I thought it would be cool to show the parameters being changed by a Flight Profile, so that's in there now. You can turn this sort of thing off with a new "Verbose Output" option in the App Settings. This option will affect things like this moving forward.

. Fix "Delete Remote Command" bug

Turns out that it's difficult to delete a Remote Command when the author of the app doesn't put any code in place to delete one when you hit the button. Oops!

. Fix commands being disabled on menu

On occasion, the buttons on the "commands" menu would be disabled when they shouldn't be. That's fixed.

. Geofence address search

When you're creating a Geofence at some location you plan to fly at later, it's kind of a pain to have to pan the map around over great distances to find it. So now you can just type all or part of the address you're interested in, and it will try to find it. It's meant to support "vague" addresses, so if you're trying to find "12345 Elm St. MyTown AK" or something, you might be able to get away with just typing "12345 Elm St". If it works, it will pan you there. Otherwise it won't, and you'll have to type more of the address.

. Timelapse/timed photos

Scott Manthey had a cool idea: Time-lapse mode. As it happens, the GoPro doesn't want to switch to time-lapse mode, throwing an error instead of just doing what it's told. But that doesn't mean Solex can't just take pictures at regular intervals anyway. So, you'll notice there's a little selector under the shutter button when you're in Photo mode. If you select one of the items in it other than "off" and hit the shutter button, Solex will trigger the camera to take a picture at that interval. This way, you can fly around and take a massive bunch of pictures that you can then stitch together later using ffmpeg, kdenlive or other software to make time-lapse videos. There's a time-lapse demo below, where I didn't bother to set my camera to a narrow enough FOV to avoid shooting my Solo's leg, but it gets the point across. You can also use this for just taking a picture every "n" seconds if you're into that kind of thing. (Which, now that I think of it, is what a time-lapse is.)

https://youtu.be/BCyHHUtV-7U

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Solex Movable Cable Cam demo

Just a simple demonstration of a movable Cable Cam. It gets recorded in one place, then I have to stop and change a battery, then I fly somewhere different. ...

Hi Kelly

thanks heaps for putting my geofence address search idea in this release. It will make things heaps easier!!!

keep up the good work and look forward to trying this one and whatever else you have coming in the next incarnations!

Kelly Schrock
2 hrs
Just in time for the day 2 days before 12.4! Here is Solex 1.2.4.

. Movable Cable Cam

This is something a few people asked for, and I must say, it's a pretty good idea. Once you've created a cable cam and gotten all of its moves the way you want them, it's nice to be able to fly it somewhere else without having to re-create it manually. Here's how it works: When you load a previous Cable Cam and you're more than 20 meters away from its original start location, you'll see a prompt asking if you want to run it in place, or move it. If you say "Yes, move it", it will move everything so the start of the Cable is right where your copter is. Then when you hit "Fly me there", it will just rise (or drop) to the altitude where the cable starts. (Note that this is AGL, so the moved cable's altitude will be the same altitude above the current location as it was in the original location.) There's a video below showing a really lame demo of it.

I thought it would be cool to show the parameters being changed by a Flight Profile, so that's in there now. You can turn this sort of thing off with a new "Verbose Output" option in the App Settings. This option will affect things like this moving forward.

Turns out that it's difficult to delete a Remote Command when the author of the app doesn't put any code in place to delete one when you hit the button. Oops!

On occasion, the buttons on the "commands" menu would be disabled when they shouldn't be. That's fixed.

When you're creating a Geofence at some location you plan to fly at later, it's kind of a pain to have to pan the map around over great distances to find it. So now you can just type all or part of the address you're interested in, and it will try to find it. It's meant to support "vague" addresses, so if you're trying to find "12345 Elm St. MyTown AK" or something, you might be able to get away with just typing "12345 Elm St". If it works, it will pan you there. Otherwise it won't, and you'll have to type more of the address.

. Timelapse/timed photos

Scott Manthey had a cool idea: Time-lapse mode. As it happens, the GoPro doesn't want to switch to time-lapse mode, throwing an error instead of just doing what it's told. But that doesn't mean Solex can't just take pictures at regular intervals anyway. So, you'll notice there's a little selector under the shutter button when you're in Photo mode. If you select one of the items in it other than "off" and hit the shutter button, Solex will trigger the camera to take a picture at that interval. This way, you can fly around and take a massive bunch of pictures that you can then stitch together later using ffmpeg, kdenlive or other software to make time-lapse videos. There's a time-lapse demo below, where I didn't bother to set my camera to a narrow enough FOV to avoid shooting my Solo's leg, but it gets the point across. You can also use this for just taking a picture every "n" seconds if you're into that kind of thing. (Which, now that I think of it, is what a time-lapse is.)

https://youtu.be/BCyHHUtV-7U

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Solex Movable Cable Cam demo

Just a simple demonstration of a movable Cable Cam. It gets recorded in one place, then I have to stop and change a battery, then I fly somewhere different. ...
Hi Kelly. These are great new capabilities and it is much appreciated. Any news as to when we can expect the map display and possibly Way-points capabilities? Have a great weekend...

Reactions: SARDG
In apologize for crearing confusion. I mean to say that I have not been able to bring up a keyboard when I touch various places relating to battery ID.. No keyboard comes up.. It's not editable anywhere.. S7 edge
Ah, that's strange. You should be able to just click on the place where you type the battery's name and a keyboard should pop up automatically. I have an S7 Edge here I can test that with. It's really more of a function that happens automatically in Android on any text field, an app doesn't have to do anything special to get a keyboard to appear.

Hello Kelly, thanks for a great app. I'm still working the basics on it, but is there any plan to have additional map datum options (specifically MGRS) in the future?

Hello Kelly, thanks for a great app. I'm still working the basics on it, but is there any plan to have additional map datum options (specifically MGRS) in the future?

Sure, I'll look into MGRS. I thought I had that on the list, but it wasn't. It is now though. :)

Reactions: SteveReno
Kelly Schrock
2 hrs

. Movable Cable Cam
. Timelapse/timed photos.

Dude, you're a miracle worker on par with the great Montgomery Scott himself!

I just ordered one of the lanyards from your donate page... although I really do wish I could just donate the money with nothing in return. You keep adding features BEYOND those I paid for when I originally purchased Solex, so I'm more than happy to throw some more money your way. Well, I hope the lanyard has a decent profit margin.

Thanks again for all your work. You've single handedly upheld the promise of the Solo since 3DR dropped the ball.

Dude, you're a miracle worker on par with the great Montgomery Scott himself!

I just ordered one of the lanyards from your donate page... although I really do wish I could just donate the money with nothing in return. You keep adding features BEYOND those I paid for when I originally purchased Solex, so I'm more than happy to throw some more money your way. Well, I hope the lanyard has a decent profit margin.

Thanks again for all your work. You've single handedly upheld the promise of the Solo since 3DR dropped the ball.

Oh, haha, I didn't know Scottie's first name was Montgomery, had to look that up. :)

Now that I've figured out how to ship something internationally without going into the red on shipping, I think the lanyards will do OK. First time I calculated postage costs for one to (I think) Norway, the default is "Priority express", for something like $74. Not going to do that, haha. :)

Oh, haha, I didn't know Scottie's first name was Montgomery, had to look that up. :)

Now that I've figured out how to ship something internationally without going into the red on shipping, I think the lanyards will do OK. First time I calculated postage costs for one to (I think) Norway, the default is "Priority express", for something like $74. Not going to do that, haha. :)
Whoa, I wouldn't have thought about international sales ether.

Last edited:

I used to sell (and occasionally still do) a print of a photo I took about 10 years ago (of a German submarine off North Carolina). I ship them in a heavy cardboard tube about 16 inches long and about 2.5 inches in diameter, and US postal service was never more than about $6 internationally. Never had anyone complain about the time or not getting them, and I shipped all over. I forget what the actual shipping method was (priority, etc.), but they just gave me a list and I chose the cheapest one.

I got the ship notification for my lanyard, and it's USPS, but I just thought I'd share that they're good for international as well.

I got the ship notification for my lanyard, and it's USPS, but I just thought I'd share that they're good for international as well.

I shipped the first batch out doing it the old-school way, writing on the envelopes and doing everything manually, then letting the Post Office do their thing with them. The second round is far more optimized. :)

Can someone point me to the website that has Kelly's items for sale please? I'm still pretty new to solo, but so far love Solex and all the constant improvements from Kelly and would like to throw him some beer money for his efforts.

Reactions: Deleted member 7413
I would like it as well. I know I seen it in one of the threads, but I can't remember exactly which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44