Solex for Solo

Anyone having issues with the pano mode? Last 2 times I tried a cylinder pano I got vid files instead of jpg. I had the app set in pic mode before opening up the shot and starting. Once started it would flip to video mode and then do it's thing. Is there some other setting I am missing?

Having the same problem as you on pano's as well as app crashes. Selfie mode turns away from you and a few other bugs. I no longer use Solex back to Solo.

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the reply.
No, I have a Cellular connectivity, not WiFi.
When, I exit out of solex, and use 3dr app, I have internet again.
I will try another android phone. and see if it has the same issue.

thanks for your reply again.

I am having the exact same issue with my Samsung Note 3 and Also a Samsung Tab E

Selfie mode turns away from you and a few other bugs. I no longer use Solex back to Solo.

Ditto. Any ideas why the selfie shot doesn't function correct? Using solo app until I find a fix as solex is now unreliable.

I take it you received your replacement From 3DR?
I do have two operating Solo's. Is there a reason for the question?

I am curious if the issues stated here are all on Samsung devices. I have a Samsung S7 and a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 that I have used with Solex. I've had a few app crashes with Solo but I find Solo considerably more stable than Solex on my devices. What about the others here? I see one person mentioned Samsung, if others could post what device they used it might help the developer to crack some of the issues with Samsung.

My issues were on a cheap Insignia tablet, and my Pixel XL phone. Same issues on both.

I do have two operating Solo's. Is there a reason for the question?

I am curious if the issues stated here are all on Samsung devices. I have a Samsung S7 and a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 that I have used with Solex. I've had a few app crashes with Solo but I find Solo considerably more stable than Solex on my devices. What about the others here? I see one person mentioned Samsung, if others could post what device they used it might help the developer to crack some of the issues with Samsung.
"I do have two operating Solo's. Is there a reason for the question?"

I also own several units, I never had Solo or Solex apps crash, that i can remember.
As to my devices used for video feed, most flavors of the Nexus series, A few Sammies S3,S4, Ipad Air with Cellular & even a NetBook But all dedicated.
Most devices keep logs & crash reports on the Mobile or Pad. iOS & Android

Had my first Solo 7-12-16 Never a crash, Customer Support sent me a new battery once,

Even though, you haven't answered my question
But to answer your question to me,
So when someone experiencing both types of problems & failures "Hardware & Software" just trying to figure out what's going on?
Between 3DRPilots & 3DR customer service, your problems should get solved.

Steve, I believe this is the Solex thread or am I posting in the wrong forum? I don't recall posting anything about a hardware or mechanical failure here... I thought I was just confirming another members behavior with Solex per his request, exactly the same issue I am having with Solex.

Again I have no hardware issues or problems and am not at this time looking for any help with hardware issues with either of my Solo's, from this forum or 3DR. Both are operating perfectly, I did experience a crash due to a motor failure around the holidays (confirmed by 3DR) that was posted in another part of this forum. But I replaced that motor and have flown many flights since trouble free.

But I do fly with two other Solo pilots and both are experiencing app crashes in Solex as I am. One is IOS and the other is Android. It sounds as if it is working fine for you and many others, but based on a number of posts here others seem to be experiencing some issues. I was hoping by people posting the type of devices they are running Solex on it may be of benefit to the developer. Possibly I stepped out of line?

To try and get this back on track my workaround to the selfie issue in Solex is to set up a cable cam shot. I set an A point and a higher further away B point and just have it fly the cable cam. When it gets to the end I then have it play the other way so that it comes back to point A. It really does almost the same thing as a selfie shot, it just doesn't return to the start automatically when reaching the end point.

Last edited:
Steve, I believe this is the Solex thread or am I posting in the wrong forum? I don't recall posting anything about a hardware or mechanical failure here... I thought I was just confirming another members behavior with Solex per his request, exactly the same issue I am having with Solex.

Again I have no hardware issues or problems and am not at this time looking for any help with hardware issues with either of my Solo's, from this forum or 3DR. Both are operating perfectly, I did experience a crash due to a motor failure around the holidays (confirmed by 3DR) that was posted in another part of this forum. But I replaced that motor and have flown many flights since trouble free.

But I do fly with two other Solo pilots and both are experiencing app crashes in Solex as I am. One is IOS and the other is Android. It sounds as if it is working fine for you and many others, but based on a number of posts here others seem to be experiencing some issues. I was hoping by people posting the type of devices they are running Solex on it may be of benefit to the developer. Possibly I stepped out of line?

To try and get this back on track my workaround to the selfie issue in Solex is to set up a cable cam shot. I set an A point and a higher further away B point and just have it fly the cable cam. When it gets to the end I then have it play the other way so that it comes back to point A. It really does almost the same thing as a selfie shot, it just doesn't return to the start automatically when reaching the end point.
"return to the start automatically when reaching the end point Of a CC" I read in the manual, it does have a setting for this feature in setting.
Also. Like i said, Check Logs on your device that you use Solex on. to see why it's crashing. isolated incidents causing issues, none the-less @Kelly Schrock may have some insight on this?
So Hardware not causing Software app crash, OK good to know.

Last edited:
You are correct, the gentleman with IOS he has had a few app crashes in Solo, I apologize for not making that distinction and lumping them together.

Interesting..what altitude were you at when you hit 6200 feet?
With the alphas on mine I could get abt 3600 feet. With the REXUAV antenna I got 4200'
With the alphas I was 44' up and 85' with the REXUAV antenna. Both of those tests were in the desert. Very little wifi.

How careful do you need to be using the Alphas compared to your REXUAV antennas, as far as pointing them in the direction of the Solo? The FPVLR site says their beam width is 60 degrees. I'd assume the REXUAVs are similar. Is the beam for the Alphas narrower?

By the way you're the only person on here who has mentioned REXUAV antennas. Care to do a review of them? You probably don't have the FPVLRs, but a direct comparison would be awesome. The REXUAVs are $20 cheaper and available on Amazon, but I don't know if I trust them in comparison.

Kelly,

regarding my post above about the selfie not working. it was suggested by others that i provide some detailed feedback for you to sort out and fix this potential bug...

I attempted a selfie smart shot this weekend and the solo didn't behave as expected. instead it just turned 180 degrees and hovered. nothing else. turned solo back around and attempted it again with the same result. i then abandoned the smart shots on the solex for that day. i have not returned to the solex since (but would love to if we could get it working right).

Second issue i found that day; while using my Samsung Galaxy S5 it took a few attempts to set the settings before flight (max distance, max height, RTL height). the app would allow me to move the sliders but when i released the screen, the slider icon moved back to the original position. upon further attempts the slider acted somewhat glitchy and not as responsive as you would expect. after about 3-4 attempts, the app finally took the set parameters and that was that. Off to the air the solo went. Other than these two "bugs", the app has worked as i expected in every other aspect with the exception of the smart shots as i only attempted the selfie twice.

I hope this feedback helps you/me out as i really want to use the app, but given the risks of Drone flying, im a little hesitant to use the app.

one thing the solex has over the solo app is that solex NEVER crashes, whereas the solo app crashes upon bootup almost everytime. ;)

one thing the solex has over the solo app is that solex NEVER crashes, whereas the solo app crashes upon bootup almost everytime. ;)

Well, that's good! One of the most difficult tasks in the universe (seemingly) is to keep an Android app from crashing when it runs on a variety of devices. So I'm glad to hear it's being stable. :) There's just a huge amount of variance in devices to try and account for.

As for the Selfie's behavior: To my knowledge, everyone's experiencing weird behavior with Selfie on the 3DR app on iOS and Android, and on Solex. When I built the Selfie shot in Solex, it never did work properly, and I looked at the Selfie code on the Solo itself. What it's supposed to do is set an ROI (region of interest) on the location calculated by the gimbal angle/heading/location/altitude, and maintain focus on that as it flies backwards to the designated distance and altitude, then reverse course and fly back. It doesn't do that. It picks an arbitrary location 8 feet or so directly in front of the Solo, then flies. So it never tracks the actual target like did in earlier versions. To see about fixing it, I modified it to work like an earlier (good) version of Selfie on my particular Solo? The result? My Solo now turns to the north. I screwed it up, but this is not in Solex. It's in the python code on my Solo. :) I've no idea why yours is doing a 180 when you run Selfie. Others have reported the camera jerking to straight ahead position, others report it not doing anything, etc. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but in the meantime I'd suggest using MPCC in place of a Selfie. It works great, and can do a bunch of other things besides, as you probably well know.

On the Vehicle Settings screen, it pauses for ~1 second before actually trying to write your settings to the Solo. The reason is that if you move a bunch of sliders in rapid succession (or move a single slider back and forth), it "batches" those changes together and writes them all when you've stopped making adjustments. The idea is to avoid trying to write settings constantly, and greatly reduces the chance of something going wrong. What I would suggest is making a few changes and giving it some time, until you see the "X parameters updated" at the bottom of the screen. It displays that message when it's successfully written the changes out.

Thanks,
Kelly

Well, that's good! One of the most difficult tasks in the universe (seemingly) is to keep an Android app from crashing when it runs on a variety of devices. So I'm glad to hear it's being stable. :) There's just a huge amount of variance in devices to try and account for.

As for the Selfie's behavior: To my knowledge, everyone's experiencing weird behavior with Selfie on the 3DR app on iOS and Android, and on Solex. When I built the Selfie shot in Solex, it never did work properly, and I looked at the Selfie code on the Solo itself. What it's supposed to do is set an ROI (region of interest) on the location calculated by the gimbal angle/heading/location/altitude, and maintain focus on that as it flies backwards to the designated distance and altitude, then reverse course and fly back. It doesn't do that. It picks an arbitrary location 8 feet or so directly in front of the Solo, then flies. So it never tracks the actual target like did in earlier versions. To see about fixing it, I modified it to work like an earlier (good) version of Selfie on my particular Solo? The result? My Solo now turns to the north. I screwed it up, but this is not in Solex. It's in the python code on my Solo. :) I've no idea why yours is doing a 180 when you run Selfie. Others have reported the camera jerking to straight ahead position, others report it not doing anything, etc. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but in the meantime I'd suggest using MPCC in place of a Selfie. It works great, and can do a bunch of other things besides, as you probably well know.

On the Vehicle Settings screen, it pauses for ~1 second before actually trying to write your settings to the Solo. The reason is that if you move a bunch of sliders in rapid succession (or move a single slider back and forth), it "batches" those changes together and writes them all when you've stopped making adjustments. The idea is to avoid trying to write settings constantly, and greatly reduces the chance of something going wrong. What I would suggest is making a few changes and giving it some time, until you see the "X parameters updated" at the bottom of the screen. It displays that message when it's successfully written the changes out.

Thanks,
Kelly
Wow, awesome response! Thank you!!

Glad to know it wasn't just me with the selfie, and that you're aware of the issue, and flabbergasted at the fact that you shared the details of WHY the issue exists (I work for manufactures as a service field tech, so you can understand why I was thrown back as most, if not all, want to keep that shit a secret!). I haven't tried MPCC yet because I got cocky with my first solo and crashed it leading me to be way more reserved in my flights and slowly building confidence (the right way to do it) again. When the weather ever decides to give me an opportunity to fly, I'll go to a nearby open field and give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!

You know, for my first encounter with you directly (you're kind of famous here), everybody is right. You're cool as fuck! Thanks for being you!:cool:

Glad to know it wasn't just me with the selfie, and that you're aware of the issue, and flabbergasted at the fact that you shared the details of WHY the issue exists (I work for manufactures as a service field tech, so you can understand why I was thrown back as most, if not all, want to keep that shit a secret!). I haven't tried MPCC yet because I got cocky with my first solo and crashed it leading me to be way more reserved in my flights and slowly building confidence (the right way to do it) again. When the weather ever decides to give me an opportunity to fly, I'll go to a nearby open field and give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!

You know, for my first encounter with you directly (you're kind of famous here), everybody is right. You're cool as fuck! Thanks for being you!:cool:

One other thing to note when trying to adjust the sliders for vehicle settings: Make sure the 'HIGH TRAFFIC' message is not displayed anymore on the screen. I can't remember if you can even access the sliders before it goes away, but just a thought.

LOL, thanks! Best of luck with MPCC. Wide open spaces are the best. If there's anything within 100' feet of where I'm flying a smart shot, my thumb hovers over the FLY button. :)

Reactions: dml931
One other thing to note when trying to adjust the sliders for vehicle settings: Make sure the 'HIGH TRAFFIC' message is not displayed anymore on the screen. I can't remember if you can even access the sliders before it goes away, but just a thought.

Oh, right, that's true. When the "High message traffic" message is showing, the "Vehicle Settings" item on the menu is disabled. Otherwise, it's trying to "solve" that problem and retrieve all of Solo's settings at the same time. If all the messages were flowing through a hose, it would burst right then. :)

Reactions: dml931

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela