Solex for Solo

I am learning a lot.
This may be a silly question. Does the tower app automatically adjust altitude for ground elevation change?
Not with Solo due to the outdated Arducopter version used.
With Master and Lidar yes it's possible.

Steve, What one do you use and like?
I use many Solo, Solex, Tower, for testing & personal use. Pix4d, Qgroundcontrol & other's for Business. "Mapping"

Only using iOS device will adjust automatically altitude for ground elevation change in Follow me mode. I think? Please verify....

Does anyone have a suggestion. I purchased the Solex app because of all the positive talk about the app. I downloaded the app looked all through it looked cool. Went out to fly and now the app will not open at all. I just get a black screen. I opened up the solo app and flew with no problem. I don't know what to do. Thanks for all the help guys.

Does anyone have a suggestion. I purchased the Solex app because of all the positive talk about the app. I downloaded the app looked all through it looked cool. Went out to fly and now the app will not open at all. I just get a black screen. I opened up the solo app and flew with no problem. I don't know what to do. Thanks for all the help guys.
More info would be great.. Device, OS version, etc..

I use many Solo, Solex, Tower, for testing & personal use. Pix4d, Qgroundcontrol & other's for Business. "Mapping"

Only using iOS device will adjust automatically altitude for ground elevation change in Follow me mode. I think? Please verify....
Altitude adjustment in Followme mode works only with the Solo iOS app.

Altitude follow in guided and auto missions works only with Tower AND Master (AC 3.4 and higher) in combination with a Lidar altitude sensor.

Terrain follow works only with Master (AC 3.4 and higher) and a terrain database.
Terrain Following — Copter documentation

I have just started using the Solex app, but I have some questions.
I'm familiar with the stock Solo app and Tower with pixhawk from before.

I noticed that when I first flew the drone it started Loiter mode, which is a good start mode, I think.

It took a while before I found the flight modes. Firstly I tried to click on Loiter on the top bar showing the battery but nothing happened. After a while I understood that I had to click on the camera symbol on the bottom left to see all the flight modes.
I managed to use the Cable Cam. I set a few waypoints, and flew back and fourth on the cable.

But the real problem started when I wanted to change back to Loiter mode for free flying. I didn't find any way of returning to Loiter or free fly modes.
Looking at the top bar again, it seemed like it was in Guided mode. When pressing the camera symbol again, there was no way of choosing Fly or Loiter (only several other flight modes in the list.
Also, since I was in Cable Cam, pressing A or B buttons didn't change mode to my preset flight modes).
I also pressed the Map symbol, but when the map was showing, the camera symbol (flight modes) was not visible on the screen.

So my questions are:

1) How do I change to Fly or Loiter when I have for instance used Cable Cam?

2) Is the camera symbol the only place you change flight modes?

3) Is it possible to do anything when you are in the map mode?
It couldn't find any indicators on the map for Home point or cable cam points on the map.
I'm thinking about something similar to the markers in tower when you perform a mission, selfie or similar.

4) When viewing Live feed from the camera should information like for instance a symbol when yawing past the direction of the RTL point be visible?

Great app, by the way.
I just need to understand the correct way of using it :)

My specs:
3DR Solo
Samsung Galaxy S7
GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition

Appreciate any feedback/advice

Are your A and B buttons set up for Fly Manual and/or Stabilize? That's not the default.

Are your A and B buttons set up for Fly Manual and/or Stabilize? That's not the default.

Yes I have Fly Manual for A, and Stabilize for B. I set them up in 3DR Solo app before I started using Solex.
Does it have anything to say? They were kind of greyed out after I had performed the cable cam, so I couldn't press any of them to change back to Fly Manual or Stabilize. And none of the following flight modes were visible in the camera symbol list: Fly: Manual, Fly (Loiter), Stabilize.

Edit:
I forgot I have the Fly button as well. I'm not sure I tried pressing that one.
I'm a bit embarrased. I will try again, and revert.

Last edited:
Welcome to 3DRPilots,
We may need @Kelly Schrock to chime in on this, but up to recently, The map feature was non existent. Everyone was requesting it,
The last update "1.2.8 version" of Solex,
I think that your devise, while it is already using the WiFi to connect to Solo, Can not also connect to the internet for data retrieval.
So for map image, just continue to preload maps before you connect to Solo.
I have a dedicated Device for my Solo. Removed Sim card.
Hope this helps.

That's correct, it can't see maps while it's connected to Solo. You can tether a phone to it with an internet connection, e.g. over Bluetooth. It works, but it's pretty slow.

One thing to keep in mind: Any time you go somewhere to fly, Solex remembers where you were, and saves it. When you get back to "base" or wherever you have a wifi connection, start Solex, and it will find the name of the location you flew at (usually just its address), and save it in your "Flying Locations" screen. Go there, and hit "Visit all" once in a while, and it will go to each location, and zoom and pan around to get the map data. Then you can fly in the field without an internet connection and use offline maps.

Reactions: SARDG and speatuk
That's correct, it can't see maps while it's connected to Solo. You can tether a phone to it with an internet connection, e.g. over Bluetooth. It works, but it's pretty slow.

One thing to keep in mind: Any time you go somewhere to fly, Solex remembers where you were, and saves it. When you get back to "base" or wherever you have a wifi connection, start Solex, and it will find the name of the location you flew at (usually just its address), and save it in your "Flying Locations" screen. Go there, and hit "Visit all" once in a while, and it will go to each location, and zoom and pan around to get the map data. Then you can fly in the field without an internet connection and use offline maps.

Kelly, I've tried tethering my phone bluetooth (Nexus 6) to my new Shield bluetooth and could never get it connect to the internet as long as the Solo wifi was connected. Not sure if that's a Shield specific issue or what. Works fine if the Wifi isn't on, but as long as it is, the bluetooth never gives me any internet connection

Kelly, I've tried tethering my phone bluetooth (Nexus 6) to my new Shield bluetooth and could never get it connect to the internet as long as the Solo wifi was connected. Not sure if that's a Shield specific issue or what. Works fine if the Wifi isn't on, but as long as it is, the bluetooth never gives me any internet connection

Go into google maps and download an area you wanting to use the solo.
If your unsure how to do this just google it.

Then set your maps in solex to google
Voila all sorted with off line maps.
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go into google maps and download an area you wanting to use the solo.
If your unsure how to do this just google it.

Then set your maps in solex to google
Voila all sorted with off line maps.
[emoji106]

I've already done this. However, I"m speaking of having internet connection while the Wifi is connected to Solo via bluetooth tethering. I've not been able to do both.

I've already done this. However, I"m speaking of having internet connection while the Wifi is connected to Solo via bluetooth tethering. I've not been able to do both.

I've tried it all ways and given up.
I just use off line maps with a dedicated tablet.
No problems, no interference, no notifications, all works as it should. If I need to go "online" I use another tablet or phone, after I have brought solo back and tether at that point. [emoji106]

Tulsa may be wanting to use Follow/Remote which requires 2 connections.

Nah, not that yet. It's just a like to have but I'm not too terribly upset now that I got a 64gb microSD for the Shield and can store a ton of offline maps there. :)

On the last 2 versions (1.2.8, 1.2.9), you'll get a "Warning, no internet connection" message if Solex isn't able to get an internet connection when you open it. Are you seeing this message when you're tethered? And if so, what happens if you, say, go into Chrome or something and load a web page while tethered? I have the Shield, same basic setup as you, and I'm not seeing the issue.

I am having a heck of time with the solex app. Every time I close the app and go back and try to open it up it is just black screen. I have to restart my phone to get it back eveytime. It might be my phone. I am using a Samsung note 4 ver 6.0.1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421