Solex firmware updates menu procedural changes

Reaction score
The latest version of the Solex app released this week has some procedural changes that affect the firmware updates menu. So I've updated the Solex instructions for Open Solo installs on GitHub. In short, you must connect to the Solo first. That way Solex and can download parameters and verify it is working with a Solo and no some other vehicle type. The Firmware Updates menu will not be available until this happens. Then you can change to your home WiFi to download firmware. Then change back to Solo WiFi to install them.

Full Open Solo Readme: documentation/README.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation · GitHub

Solex Instructions: documentation/install_solex.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation · GitHub.

I have the updated firmware on SOLEX on Nvidia K1 and have six stock SOLO's. I fly everyday. Now, with the latest firmware I have video but no camera control.
The 3DR Solo app has all camera control.

I did not have the chance to uninstall SOLEX and reinstall. But I did do that for the last firmware and all worked well. Any idea's

i just downloaded the solex app and after connecting to the Solo the parameters are downloaded and the firmware updates are shown greyed out - as soon as i connect my tablet to the internet the firmware update option disappears so it is impossible to download the updates....
I can't connect to Solo and the internet at the same time....
My solo is still stock and i intend to install the green cube on a short term but for now it should be possible to download updates too for the stock configuration or am i wrong here ?
Thanks for any pointers in the right direction !

i just downloaded the solex app and after connecting to the Solo the parameters are downloaded and the firmware updates are shown greyed out - as soon as i connect my tablet to the internet the firmware update option disappears so it is impossible to download the updates....
I can't connect to Solo and the internet at the same time....
My solo is still stock and i intend to install the green cube on a short term but for now it should be possible to download updates too for the stock configuration or am i wrong here ?
Thanks for any pointers in the right direction !

I'm not positive this is your problem but, if your tablet only has internet over WiFi you will lose internet access when coveted to solo WiFi. It might make it easier to try doing the firmware update with a phone or some other device with internet access.

Reactions: Flasher
thank you for your reply, that makes sense but i assume the firmware update option should not be greyed out when there is connection with the Solo and the parameter list has been downloaded ?

i just tried with a 100% charged Solo battery but the firmware update option is still greyed out / inactive- do i have to install any Open Solo software before the firmware update field will be active ?

Sorry you're still having trouble. These are the steps to update it manually without the solex app it was originally shared by another user here "Carpy"

1. Download the firmware, ArduCopter-v2.px4. Use firmware tagged 'Latest release'.
2. Download and install FileZilla or WinSCP.
3. Turn on Solo and Controller.
4. Connect to Solo's WiFi network from your computer (similar to how you would connect your phone to it via the app).
5. Launch FileZilla or WinSCP and connect to Solo using it's IP address '10.1.1.10' for the Host and 'root' for the Username and 'TjSDBkAu' for the Password. Use port 22.
6. Copy/transfer the firmware to /firmware on Solo.
7. Reboot Solo.
8. After reboot the LED's on Solo should change colors (party mode).
9. Accomplish a Level Calibration.

Sorry you're still having trouble. These are the steps to update it manually without the solex app it was originally shared by another user here "Carpy"

1. Download the firmware, ArduCopter-v2.px4. Use firmware tagged 'Latest release'.
2. Download and install FileZilla or WinSCP.
3. Turn on Solo and Controller.
4. Connect to Solo's WiFi network from your computer (similar to how you would connect your phone to it via the app).
5. Launch FileZilla or WinSCP and connect to Solo using it's IP address '10.1.1.10' for the Host and 'root' for the Username and 'TjSDBkAu' for the Password. Use port 22.
6. Copy/transfer the firmware to /firmware on Solo.
7. Reboot Solo.
8. After reboot the LED's on Solo should change colors (party mode).
9. Accomplish a Level Calibration.
That's only for updating the ArduCopter firmware. That doesn't do parameters or full file systems for Open Solo.

thank you both for your replies , i tried to download Solex on my old Samsung S3 and Acer HD7 but Solex is not shown in Google Play store, probably because the Android version of both the Samsung and the Acer is too old ??
I was able to temporary activate the firmware update option in Solex by switching off the controller, quickly switch the tablet to my home wifi and then reopen Solex - i was able to download both clean releases for the controller and the Solo but the Install button of the software is not active- i guess you are right about the need of a tablet with both Wifi and a G3/G4 network option - switching the Wifi between Solex and home WiFi does not work....
I can't find the downloaded files anywhere so i guess they are not stored on my tablet and were only stored in the temporary memory.
I also watched the video of Matt Lawrence where the downloading of the firmware works ok, anyone happens to know what type of tablet he is using ?
I will try to buy a Google/Acer Nexus 7 2013 with 32 GB and SIM card option and see if that will work....
Thanks again for all help and suggestions !

well i finally managed to download and install successfully the Open Solo 2.5 RC3 on both the controller and the Solo - i still don't know how i did it exactly because i did a lot of fiddling with the bluetooth connection between my tablet and my Samsung S3 Phone, did a lot of switching between the Solo wifi and home wifi but at some point the files could be downloaded and installed succesfully !
After performing the level and compass calibration the Solo should be ready to fly now, i'll have to wait a bit because it's snowing right now....
thank you for all help, next step will be the green cube installation when it arrives !

EDIT - i just remember i also set Use Cached Parameters in App Settings menu which seemed to trigger the activation of the Firmware Updates option.....

Last edited:
well i finally managed to download and install successfully the Open Solo 2.5 RC3 on both the controller and the Solo - i still don't know how i did it exactly because i did a lot of fiddling with the bluetooth connection between my tablet and my Samsung S3 Phone, did a lot of switching between the Solo wifi and home wifi but at some point the files could be downloaded and installed succesfully !
After performing the level and compass calibration the Solo should be ready to fly now, i'll have to wait a bit because it's snowing right now....
thank you for all help, next step will be the green cube installation when it arrives !

EDIT - i just remember i also set Use Cached Parameters in App Settings menu which seemed to trigger the activation of the Firmware Updates option.....

That's awesome glad it worked out. I'm thinking the use of cached parameters is what finally did it. I've used different devices, the LG gpad seemed to have the most issues, the nvidia shield and every galaxy tablet/ phone have been flawless.

i just received my Google Nexus 7gen.2 tablet with 32 GB and Wifi + 4G network and reinstalled Solex , i have replaced the original controller wifi card with the Mikrotik R11E-2HnD 800 mW card and i will replace the Solo's wifi card when opening it up for the green cube installation.
I hope this will work without any trouble, if not i know where to find great help !

The latest version of the Solex app released this week has some procedural changes that affect the firmware updates menu. So I've updated the Solex instructions for Open Solo installs on GitHub. In short, you must connect to the Solo first. That way Solex and can download parameters and verify it is working with a Solo and no some other vehicle type. The Firmware Updates menu will not be available until this happens. Then you can change to your home WiFi to download firmware. Then change back to Solo WiFi to install them.

Full Open Solo Readme: documentation/README.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation · GitHub

Solex Instructions: documentation/install_solex.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation · GitHub.
Hello thanks for all your work for Solo and for us Solo users. I am having trouble with the green cube installation and will try to explain what I've done. I have probably made mistakes, but in my defence, I will say that I wasn't in a hurry. Probably, I overthought some simple statements and got confused.It's what I always do.
This is what I did.

1. Updated both controller and solo through 3DR app.
2. Connected to Solo network with Solex app.
3. Disconnected and downloaded firmware.
4. Installed green cube and tried to install firmware on it and on controller.
5. Restarted them both and waited half an hour. Controller opens with Open Solo but drone just sat there for the whole time. Not sure anymore exactly what it was doing(it was a couple of days ago) It was beeping intermittently and flashing lights. I could never pair it with the controller.
6. Took the green cube out and reinstalled black cube. I think I tried to install Open Solo on it. Still no luck and no pairing. Now I can't seem to factory reset it...
7. In all honesty, this is what I think I did but I could be remembering wrong... I'm sorry!!!

8. So today. Sitting in front of me is my drone with the battery out and drone opened up. I am connected to my green cube via usb to my desktop. Mission Planner shows connected via com14. Can I get any files off of my drone that would help explain what's going on?

Hello thanks for all your work for Solo and for us Solo users. I am having trouble with the green cube installation and will try to explain what I've done. I have probably made mistakes, but in my defence, I will say that I wasn't in a hurry. Probably, I overthought some simple statements and got confused.It's what I always do.
This is what I did.

1. Updated both controller and solo through 3DR app.
2. Connected to Solo network with Solex app.
3. Disconnected and downloaded firmware.
4. Installed green cube and tried to install firmware on it and on controller.
5. Restarted them both and waited half an hour. Controller opens with Open Solo but drone just sat there for the whole time. Not sure anymore exactly what it was doing(it was a couple of days ago) It was beeping intermittently and flashing lights. I could never pair it with the controller.
6. Took the green cube out and reinstalled black cube. I think I tried to install Open Solo on it. Still no luck and no pairing. Now I can't seem to factory reset it...
7. In all honesty, this is what I think I did but I could be remembering wrong... I'm sorry!!!

8. So today. Sitting in front of me is my drone with the battery out and drone opened up. I am connected to my green cube via usb to my desktop. Mission Planner shows connected via com14. Can I get any files off of my drone that would help explain what's going on?
I do believe you're supposed to update your black cube before swapping in the green cube. IMX.6 needs to be updated and so needs a black cube to start.

I think.

Thanks. I updated them to the newest version (step 2) but I didn't realize I was supposed to install Open Solo on it. So (step 6) I put the black cube in again and did a factory reset. Then I tried installing Open Solo on it. (Was that correct?) After that I couldn't seem to factory reset it any more.So I just took it out and put my green cube back in. Which is where I am now...

You will have to wait for one of the more experienced folks. It would appear you didn't locate or didn't follow the instructions. So be real nice to them if/when they appear.

Reactions: BrentW and Wetstone
I guess i'm too newbie to help you out but i just managed to install the green cube using Matt's latest Green Cube install instructions :
documentation/README.md at master · OpenSolo/documentation · GitHub
-seperate updating of the IMX6 is no longer needed and the instructions are very clear - sometimes the waiting times are rather long which makes you think updating went wrong but as Matt says be patient and don't touch anything till the right moment....
So when you manage to reset your Solo to the initial state with the black cube start with installing Open Solo 2.3 rc3, calibrate and test fly your Solo and when it flies ok proceed from point 2 of the new Green Cube Installation instructions onward - also watch the video on YouTube where Matt explains the whole procedure very clearly.....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
good luck !

Reactions: BrentW
thanks so much. I'll put my black cube back in and see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo