Should videos taken with the gimbal be this shaky?

It could just be less windy but I put a piece of foam on top of the gimbal loosely just to see if it worked similar to this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
so that the hdmi cable would touch that and it's a lot smoother so I may put a more permanent piece of foam.
Maybe I will try and strip the wire since that seems to be the problem.
What about the gimbal data wire also?
That looks slightly better but I don't think the cables are your problem.

I honestly found that going from the stock HDMI cable to a ribbon cable got rid of 90% of the vibrations from my video's. Used the Relish3D cable and it worked just fine. (damn, I should have told them to pay me money for that advertisement...).

Maybe you should look at your PID rates ?
My video is rock steady... Even when flying in Gusty winds.

I honestly found that going from the stock HDMI cable to a ribbon cable got rid of 90% of the vibrations from my video's. Used the Relish3D cable and it worked just fine. (damn, I should have told them to pay me money for that advertisement...).

Maybe you should look at your PID rates ?
My video is rock steady... Even when flying in Gusty winds.

How would you go about looking at this, do you just have to fly and download the logs?

Check the gimbal manual. I think you need to use the smallest weight in the kit.

You need to use a balance weight with the Silver. The gimbal is optimized for a GoPro 4 black. No weights, full functionality, and no vibrations or shakes at all.

Check the gimbal manual. I think you need to use the smallest weight in the kit.

You need to use a balance weight with the Silver. The gimbal is optimized for a GoPro 4 black. No weights, full functionality, and no vibrations or shakes at all.
Yeah the small weights are on and it still vibrates.

Thanks for the advice, would ear plugs work for the foam?
Yes, but be forewarned, foam ear plugs like memory foam have issues in colder temps. Both become hard when cold. Also cut down the ear plug to fit inside the isolator ball, bigger is not always better. 16mm seems the proper dimension.

I still haven't gotten around to the mod with the foam but I have noticed that the gimbal doesn't look balanced with the correct weights and a hero 4 silver. When placed facing directly down with no power it returns to facing parallel with the ground which I believe is not correct.

I still haven't gotten around to the mod with the foam but I have noticed that the gimbal doesn't look balanced with the correct weights and a hero 4 silver. When placed facing directly down with no power it returns to facing parallel with the ground which I believe is not correct.
Have you thought about just buying a hero 4 black ?

It works perfectly with no weights

I flew with near Gale force gusts from the north east . The airfield I fly out of is near the coastline.. very stable video. I will post it soon. It will be my Normandin rc 7-28 video

With the camera installed and Solo powered off, the gimbal should come to level. Adding a filter or heavier lens and the camera will pitch down from the imbalance. The experts suggest to balance the gimbal with additional weights, if adding filters or lens.

Personally I don't balance my gimbal'd GP4B when using filters, but then I'm no expert...

With the camera installed and Solo powered off, the gimbal should come to level. Adding a filter or heavier lens and the camera will pitch down from the imbalance. The experts suggest to balance the gimbal with additional weights, if adding filters or lens.

Personally I don't balance my gimbal'd GP4B, but then I'm no expert...

Same here A GP4B works great with the Solo Gimbal.. right out of the box. No customization required. That isbwhy why I recommended that he should upgrade. If the weights don't work and he's not comfortable customizing the solos firmware then it would be the least painful solution to just buy a GP4B.

Last edited:
I initially went to the BCRCC airfield to fly my sailplane. The sailplane needed more work to get perfect and a Sr. Member at the club offered to help me rework the T tail fin, also Gale warnings were posted. I decided to fly my solo.
Check out how stable the video is. You will also see the Solo take a turn into a Gale force head wind.. compensate a bit and level off.

The Gale force wind was a 45 mph gust. This why you don't see many boats out in the water. Here's the video:

Last edited:
I just recently bought the hero 4 silver so I don't think I'm going to be buying a hero 4 black anytime soon.

Did you route both cables (control and HDMI) very carefully and as instructed in the manual?
When I installed mine I noticed that 3DR left very little room for anything but an almost perfect installation.
I had to redo mine around three times until I felt the gimbal was moving really freely and not constrained by anything. I already flew it in windy situations where we can see Solo struggling against the wind but the image is rock solid.
That the first thing everyone I show the video to comment.

I just recently bought the hero 4 silver so I don't think I'm going to be buying a hero 4 black anytime soon.
You just recently bought the wrong camera then.

If I were you I would sell it on eBay and get the right camera that all of us that are getting great videos are using.

I just think selling the GoPro 4 silver on eBay will be the least aggravating route. If you keep the old GoPro silver then watch then monitor the ardupilot forums. At this point 3DR didn't release the source to the gimbal. It might be because they had a NDA with GoPro. If that's the case we will have to reverse engineering the code. It's not impossible but it's not easy.
Realistically I do not think we will see the GoPro gimbal in the ardupilot open solo code for at least a year. Hopefully I am wrong.
I think the easiest solution with the quickest results is sell the GoPro silver and buy a GoPro 4 black from b & h photo or Amazon.
I am not saying this to be a jerk. I had an unsupported GoPro as well.
I kept mine to use for fpv with my Hobbyking CloudSurfer.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000