Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

Reaction score
Up to this point of using gimbals I've only used gimbals that were held by the isolator (balls) in tension. Basically the gimbal is dangling down from these isolator balls that are attached to the frame above. Very common type.

The Solo's gimbal is supported by a frame from underneath, the gimbal isolators balls hold up the actual gimbal. The isolator balls are in compression

I find very little information comparing one design versus another. Curious what are the advantages, other than securing, does a gimbal have when the isolators are in compression? Are there any disadvantages for one design over another?

Reactions: J R
Someone in the facebook group Solo Mod Club actually modded their gimbal as you described. But they've yet to come to a conclusion on which way is better. So I guess stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compression is *supposed* to be better, because in tension configuration vibration can be communicated to the gimbal via the failsafe retention posts... but the DJI gimbals perform extremely well and they are tension, so who knows. If I had to guess (and I am guessing), I'd say that as weight increases, the advantages of compression starts to show. Don't have any links for you but I've seen it discussed at DIY and rcgroups - that's where you should search.

Up to this point of using gimbals I've only used gimbals that were held by the isolator (balls) in tension. Basically the gimbal is dangling down from these isolator balls that are attached to the frame above. Very common type.

The Solo's gimbal is supported by a frame from underneath, the gimbal isolators balls hold up the actual gimbal. The isolator balls are in compression

I find very little information comparing one design versus another. Curious what are the advantages, other than securing, does a gimbal have when the isolators are in compression? Are there any disadvantages for one design over another?
Rich, I feel like you could be the one who comes up with a solution to make Solo usable. I am losing hope of 3DR fixing anything. Its beginning to look like that might take a complete recall and from-scratch re-design of the gimbal. My guess is that we will end up with some sort of DIY frankensolo if we want stable video. And then the questions are 1) how much time and money will said modding require and 2) would the results be any better than an out-of-the-box phantom?

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Rich, I feel like you could be the one who comes up with a solution to make Solo usable. I am losing hope of 3DR fixing anything. Its beginning to look like that might take a complete recall and from-scratch re-design of the gimbal. My guess is that we will end up with some sort of DIY frankensolo if we want stable video. And then the questions are 1) how much time and money will said modding require and 2) would the results be any better than an out-of-the-box phantom?
The gimbal is working fine for me. It's much smoother than the DYS 3 axis I use on other drones - and infinitely easier to install and configure - you don't have to configure it at all! That's so huge if you've ever tried to dial in a DYS or Feiya tech.

Rich, I feel like you could be the one who comes up with a solution to make Solo usable. I am losing hope of 3DR fixing anything.
Maybe I shouldn't be airing out my efforts openly, not trying to complain that there is a problem. I'm just sharing and interacting with other with like interests. I think the majority have no issues what so ever. I'm just trying to obtain a level of performance that may not be obtainable at any level or on any platform.

I do believe 3DR will resolve any perceived issues. There are several things that could be done without even considering hardware. Their engineering is sound, but the install could be made easier or more fool proof.

Don't lose hope.

PSA - Just for the record I went out and bought a crap load of isolation balls....not one of them will fit the Solo's Gimbal. If you're in the market, don't waste your time on name brand isolators, as they are too small for the gimbal's mounting holes.

DJI-H43D-part3 DJI H4-3D Damping Rubber part 3 1
DJI-ZH3-P42 DJI Part42. ZH3-3D Damping Rubber 1
R250-Z-08 Walkera Runner 250 Damping ball 1
YUNCGO2GB101 Yuneec Rubber Dampers (8 pieces): CGO2-GB 1
MJ280-0024 Aerialfreaks Camera Damperner Set - VECTOR 250 / MOJO 280 1

The Solo gimbal needs isolators that are designed for 9mm hole. I haven't found anything yet.... Anyone else find a suitable alternative?

Still going to try a few to see what happens....

EDIT to Add: It was a compulsive purchase. I was already buying thrust washers and cir-clips from the same dealer, so figured what the hell...didn't research properly.

Last edited:
PSA - Just for the record I went out and bought a crap load of isolation balls....not one of them will fit the Solo's Gimbal. If you're in the market, don't waste your time on name brand isolators, as they are too small for the gimbal's mounting holes.

DJI-H43D-part3 DJI H4-3D Damping Rubber part 3 1
DJI-ZH3-P42 DJI Part42. ZH3-3D Damping Rubber 1
R250-Z-08 Walkera Runner 250 Damping ball 1
YUNCGO2GB101 Yuneec Rubber Dampers (8 pieces): CGO2-GB 1
MJ280-0024 Aerialfreaks Camera Damperner Set - VECTOR 250 / MOJO 280 1

The Solo gimbal needs isolators that are designed for 9mm hole. I haven't found anything yet.... Anyone else find a suitable alternative?

Still going to try a few to see what happens....

hobbyking sells gimbal dampening balls for 9mm, I tried some of the red ones but they didn't help. I put earplugs in all 4 original on my solo and I'm pretty happy with the video I'm getting.

Reactions: erikgraham
hobbyking sells gimbal dampening balls for 9mm, I tried some of the red ones but they didn't help. I put earplugs in all 4 original on my solo and I'm pretty happy with the video I'm getting.

Thanks for the reply and adding to knowledge of what not to use....

I have a hand full of various ear plugs, been waiting to test. The 3M 29db feel correct from what I've read to date about people trying. Got distracted by the motor "rabbit hole" (thanks @Raybro ), at least at this point. I'll try the plugs tomorrow.

Any link or suggested way to install?

Reactions: Raybro
All I did was twist them between my finger and thumb to get them nice and small then I poked them into the holes from the bottom of the gimbal. After they swelled back up I have about 1/8 of a inch sticking out the bottom

Reactions: RichWest
All I did was twist them between my finger and thumb to get them nice and small then I poked them into the holes from the bottom of the gimbal. After they swelled back up I have about 1/8 of a inch sticking out the bottom
Sounds like a plan, thanks for the tip...

I gave the ear plugs a try over what I was using. The results in my case were worse using the ear plugs. Even pulled the battery tray to insure a reasonable through fit. Again my issue is trying to eliminate micro vibes in my videos. I had resolved the HDMI cable issue a few weeks back.

And to correct what plugs I had used , they are 32db plugs from 3M at HomeDepot. I'm sure ear plugs work for you and others, but I was not getting the improved results as I had hoped. It was worth a try based on your experience and that I had been meaning to try the plugs. Again thank you for offering your experiences.

.357 inch rubber ball bullets. Most ammo supply houses have them (or can get the,). Might try Midway, too.

.357 inch rubber ball bullets. Most ammo supply houses have them (or can get the,). Might try Midway, too.
LOL, so is this a suggestion or that it has worked for you?

Well actually I do have a lathe, so this really isn't that far fetched. Let me think on that a while...

Here's a video showing some of my vibration testing, this is the best to date. Originally shot in 2.7k at 60fps, converted in GoPro Studio using the Vimeo default settings output. YouTube butchers the video, lots of horizontal shutter that wasn't in the original footage or the Vimeo'd file.

Video removed, let YT stabilize the video. Previously it looked fine....:(

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela