SD error on GoPro black 4 when flying solo

Reaction score
i am finally comfortable flying my solo but it is very upsetting that I haven't been able to record anything since I got the GoPro 4, keeps giving me a SD error and I have tried already reset the GoPro, and reformat the SD card. Has anyone experience this?
Any advice?

Thank you all!

Try this :

01. Use PC and card reader .......and quick format at 32KB file allocation for up to 32GB card, if 64GB card use 128KB file allocation size.
02. Put memory card in GP. Do DELETE ALL/FORMAT again in GP.

If all the time SD error, it can only mean 3 things :
A. The card reader mechanism in the GP cam is faulty
B. The camera has problem
C. Your card is defective <<< this you can verify using card reader on a PC.

Beware, defective microSD card is no un-common and if the defective condition is a short circuit, your camera can get fried.
I got once a defective Sandisk Ultra which became hot when inserted into GP cam, in mere seconds. Lucky I detected fast. The card was short circuited one.

A Sandisk Extreme also fried a friend's GP cam when it is is shorted.
MicroSD card in a GoPro is the hottest any memory card can be, it can hit 68C ...., which 68C is the auto cut off thermal protection of a GoPro, if you are using ORIGINAL GoPro battery. Do not use 3rd party battery, as the temperature sensing chip is not available in 3rd party battery. GP cam's battery has 3 pins, one of them is for the temperature trigger to camera motherboard.

Good luck......

Reactions: Tamj and RichWest
SPP covers all the possible issues.

Buy a new Micro SD card... Had a couple of cards go bad on me. If it continues contact GP.

fwiw, Sandisk is good to work with on warranty claims as well.

Try this :

01. Use PC and card reader .......and quick format at 32KB file allocation for up to 32GB card, if 64GB card use 128KB file allocation size.
02. Put memory card in GP. Do DELETE ALL/FORMAT again in GP.

If all the time SD error, it can only mean 3 things :
A. The card reader mechanism in the GP cam is faulty
B. The camera has problem
C. Your card is defective <<< this you can verify using card reader on a PC.

Beware, defective microSD card is no un-common and if the defective condition is a short circuit, your camera can get fried.
I got once a defective Sandisk Ultra which became hot when inserted into GP cam, in mere seconds. Lucky I detected fast. The card was short circuited one.

A Sandisk Extreme also fried a friend's GP cam when it is is shorted.
MicroSD card in a GoPro is the hottest any memory card can be, it can hit 68C ...., which 68C is the auto cut off thermal protection of a GoPro, if you are using ORIGINAL GoPro battery. Do not use 3rd party battery, as the temperature sensing chip is not available in 3rd party battery. GP cam's battery has 3 pins, one of them is for the temperature trigger to camera motherboard.

Good luck......
Great! Thank you! Will try reformatting using my Mac and also buy a few SD cards, usually buy Sandisk but might try another brand name.

SPP covers all the possible issues.

Buy a new Micro SD card... Had a couple of cards go bad on me. If it continues contact GP.

fwiw, Sandisk is good to work with on warranty claims as well.
That's what I thought but I have never had that problem before. First I thought was associated with my GoPro while in the solo but just tried it a few times just to take video and pics and still get the same error. Lucky didn't fry my GP!
Thank you for your advice guys!

and.. spend the money on the best San Disk Extreme Pro, had many problems before getting the best.
Well worth the few extra bucks.
I delete and format from the GP before every flight with these.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo