Recommendation for Backpack

Reaction score
I'll be doing a lot of travelling across the country this summer for work and want to bring the Solo. The problem is that I am flying cheaply and switching airlines at the airports (no checked bags), so I want to pack as much together as possible in two bags. One bag I'd like to have the Solo, laptop, and all the chargers. The other bag is clothing, etc...

Anyone have experience with drone backpacks and laptops and what's working for you and what isn't? The 3dr Solo backpack looks like it'll only fit the drone and that's about it - true?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Solo backpack fits:
drone w/gimbal
controller
5 batteries
Large flat pouch for tablet (laptop may fit?)

It also has a smaller zip pouch (fits maybe 2 ziplock sandwich bags worth of stuff) and 2 other rigid side compartments where you can put chargers and other things. At the top of the pack there is another space where about 4 packs of spare props fit very well. Its designed to fit perfectly in most overhead bins on airplanes. Theres enough room for my FPVLR antenna too.

There are some decent pics of the backpack in this thread: Where do you put FPVLR in the Solo Backpack?

Solo backpack fits:
drone w/gimbal
controller
5 batteries
Large flat pouch for tablet (laptop may fit?)

It also has a smaller zip pouch (fits maybe 2 ziplock sandwich bags worth of stuff) and 2 other rigid side compartments where you can put chargers and other things. At the top of the pack there is another space where about 4 packs of spare props fit very well. Its designed to fit perfectly in most overhead bins on airplanes. Theres enough room for my FPVLR antenna too.

There are some decent pics of the backpack in this thread: Where do you put FPVLR in the Solo Backpack?
Hmmm. Thanks! I'll have to track down pics of the flat pouch part to see.

I didn't realize til now that the entire molded styrofoam is actually removable! It's just velcro'd in. You could probably stick an entire laptop under it, but that means it would be right on your back when wearing the pack with no protection other than the fabric of the bp.

It is a great packpack. Very well though out and holds a lot of stuff.

I didn't realize til now that the entire molded styrofoam is actually removable! It's just velcro'd in. You could probably stick an entire laptop under it, but that means it would be right on your back when wearing the pack with no protection other than the fabric of the bp.

It is a great packpack. Very well though out and holds a lot of stuff.
That's not bad. Thanks again for the help - this is extremely useful.

I second the Solo backpack. I looked at lots of the different ones available but chose the Solo. Fits all I need and is very comfortable to carry. Straps are thick and durable and so are the zippers. The backpack even fits in the overhead of small commercial planes.

i have the solo backpack and i love it. i also have a 5.11 rush 72. that is the best backpack i've owned. gpc who makes the 3dr backpack, also makes a standard edition that is like a rush 5.11 72 and a limited edition version that uses the 5.11 rush 72.

the rush 72 has an internal hydration compartment, adjustable chest straps with molle, waist strap with molle, front compartment with molle, two side pockets with molle, shove-it pocket, an admin organizer pocket and fleece lined sunglass pocket. it also has a lifetime guarantee.

if you want to carry solo on your back for long periods or travel and take one bag then the gpc limited edition is the better choice because of the chest straps, waist strap and molle system. i can add carabiners, 6x6 pouches or 6x9 pouches to the front compartment or to the side pockets to carry more stuff.

i'll most likely sell the solo backpack and get the limited edition.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFly121 and Maddog
combined weight of 2 bags may be your limiting factor? i have done a lot of travelling and have found that this is pure luck on whether your stopped / charged excess etc .... It all depends on how bad a day the airline person is having????

J

I just traveled through east asia with a big backpack and solo backpack, all carry-on. Solo backpack can squeeze under the seat in front of you (depends on the airline). It will certainly be over the weight limit though if they are picky. Wasn't an issue for me on half a dozen international flights.

Now that I've carried it around extensively I can say that the Solo backpack strap padding is not adequate if you're going to fully load it up with 5 batteries etc and walk around all day with over 10 lbs. My shoulders were getting quite sore at end of each day. If you're only carrying a few batteries and leaving all the chargers/tablet in the hotel it's much more managable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
I just traveled through east asia with a big backpack and solo backpack, all carry-on. Solo backpack can squeeze under the seat in front of you (depends on the airline). It will certainly be over the weight limit though if they are picky. Wasn't an issue for me on half a dozen international flights.

Now that I've carried it around extensively I can say that the Solo backpack strap padding is not adequate if you're going to fully load it up with 5 batteries etc and walk around all day with over 10 lbs. My shoulders were getting quite sore at end of each day. If you're only carrying a few batteries and leaving all the chargers/tablet in the hotel it's much more managable.
Thanks Twitchy- I love my Solo backpack but have never gone far with it. Thanks to @franknitty69 I have a good alternative to consider if I need something more comfortable.

That's just a back pack, not the case for solo. Like in the link I posted

That's just a back pack, not the case for solo. Like in the link I posted
Yep, I think the one Frank is talking about is just a backpack. The straps on the GPC case you posted look like they have better padding and would be more comfortable than the 3DR backpack.

Reactions: Scientific11

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela