Problems/Fly awaw crash with new Solo

Ok so here is the link to the log that I believe contained the incident. I narrowed it down by the time the logs were and the one before was too early and no irregularities, and the one after was to late after I sent in the support ticket, probably just me seeing if it still powered on. I found the batter about 3 feet away from solo after the crash.

Now my biggest issue with this log however is that when the solo had the fly away it went in the opposite direction the log is showing. The Solo was facing me at the time and went to my left its right.

Ok so here is the link to the log that I believe contained the incident. I narrowed it down by the time the logs were and the one before was too early and no irregularities, and the one after was to late after I sent in the support ticket, probably just me seeing if it still powered on. I found the batter about 3 feet away from solo after the crash.

Now my biggest issue with this log however is that when the solo had the fly away it went in the opposite direction the log is showing. The Solo was facing me at the time and went to my left its right.
How much R/C flying experience did you have before you got the Solo? Is this your first?

Negative not my first, I have been flying home builds for the past year or so including fixed wing foamies, my buddy's tricopter, and some store bought quad and single rotors.

Just checking. I noticed it was nose-in to you when you put in a hard input on CH4. Did it hit a tree?

It didn't hit a tree exactly but luckily some vines hanging off a tree caught it it mid air.

So these should be the correct log and maybe these graphs will help not really sure. Here is also a video of the HUD during the incident. If you want any other info let me know and I'll do my best.

upload_2016-8-1_14-46-27.png

upload_2016-8-1_14-46-53.png

upload_2016-8-1_14-47-29.png

upload_2016-8-1_14-49-54.png

You ran into an EKF error.
GPS was ok. Solo did not switch into Manual mode as it should do in such situations, likely because it crashed before.

Reasons can be manifold, typically this can be caused by a compass failure, or eg too high vibrations.
Contact support and let's see what they say.

You ran into an EKF error.
GPS was ok. Solo did not switch into Manual mode as it should do in such situations, likely because it crashed before.

Reasons can be manifold, typically this can be caused by a compass failure, or eg too high vibrations.
Contact support and let's see what they say.
Ok perfect thanks for the info. I did send in a ticket as soon as it happened but they haven't gotten back to me yet. What could cause a compass failure? Is that something that would be covered under a warrenty?

Nice to hear things turned out OK. Something that you may want to keep in mind re: vibrations in video is that in wind, the quad is compensating and sometimes the video is shaky, which has little to do with the gimbal and more to do with the bouncy movement of the quad in space. Further vibrations can be caused by poorly balanced props or wire routing that makes the vibration bypass the rubber offsets the gimbal is mounted on. Try flying somewhere with less wind (or flying slowly downwind) and see how the video compares--it's been my experience that hovering or going upwind even in fairly calm conditions can lead to shaky video like what you posted.

Nice to hear things turned out OK. Something that you may want to keep in mind re: vibrations in video is that in wind, the quad is compensating and sometimes the video is shaky, which has little to do with the gimbal and more to do with the bouncy movement of the quad in space. Further vibrations can be caused by poorly balanced props or wire routing that makes the vibration bypass the rubber offsets the gimbal is mounted on. Try flying somewhere with less wind (or flying slowly downwind) and see how the video compares--it's been my experience that hovering or going upwind even in fairly calm conditions can lead to shaky video like what you posted.
Thanks for the info but I did balance the props and I have did also check the gimbal for wiring issues. That wasn't the only video that the vibration happened on. It was also fairly calm that day.

Wilco. I'm thinking before I even fly it, update, level cal, compass cal, stick cal, and finally balance the props.

I have already done both the level and compass calibrations with no change at all. Yes I have checked for proper installation of the gimbal twice already. Video of shaky video here. Photo of gimbal here. No I do not fly aggressive I have it on the lowest setting, what I am wondering is if the motors are overcompensating for the poor hovering, but I really can't say. I have yet to turn the speed above the slowest setting.

Edit: Video was taken on a fairly calm day, only about 5mph.

Edit2: Reuploaded video for higher res

Hi Austin
When I play your video on my laptop I get two perfect orbits of the light house. I cannot detect any vibration at all. I have had problems viewing my videos on some laptops but when played on a machine with a faster graphics card my videos were now perfect. Maybe this is your problem because really your video was perfect!!!

Hi Austin
When I play your video on my laptop I get two perfect orbits of the light house. I cannot detect any vibration at all. I have had problems viewing my videos on some laptops but when played on a machine with a faster graphics card my videos were now perfect. Maybe this is your problem because really your video was perfect!!!
Unfortunately that isn't the case, I have viewed on many different computers most of them high end personal built gaming rigs and an couple imacbook pros. Seemed shaky on all of them to me. Thanks though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea