Pixhawk (Black cube) ‘standard’ carrier boards

These look great! Getting closer to making a custom around the Pixhawk 2.0 cube :D
Yep, determined to get these things done, tested and available. There’s some nay sayers out there PM’ing I believe, but I ain’t paying much attention to them, they’re missing the point of my goal here I think

At the end of the day, I’ll end up with a viable mini carrier board for PH 2.0 to share, or I’ll have blown a few $$$. Either way, I’m enjoying the process, learning heaps and getting to know some more ‘like minded’ 3DR enthusiasts looking to extend the life (and exploit the full potential) of this awesome little cube.

Last edited:
Yep, determined to get these things done, tested and available. There’s some nay sayers out there PM’ing I believe, but I ain’t paying much attention to them, they’re missing the point of my goal here I think

At the end of the day, I’ll end up with a viable mini carrier board for PH 2.0 to share, or I’ll have blown a few $$$. Either way, I’m enjoying the process, learning heaps and getting to know some more ‘like minded’ 3DR enthusiasts looking to extend the life (and exploit the full potential) of this awesome little cube.
Those nay sayers are in this as a business and carrier boards connected to pixhawk 2.0 salvaged from solos is a perceived threat to their business model. They use this forum to pitch their Wares.. If you don't fall in line you're going to get smacked!

I sent an email to Hex and links to three posts in this forum letting them know people are interested in carrier boards for their stock 2.0 cubes. If you guys want to try to get them motivated, send an e-mail as well expressing your interest. If enough people write, maybe they will consider selling the standard (non-Edison) carrier by itself to us. It worth a shot anyway...

The address is: [email protected]
Hex is not looking backwards, there are even newer versions of the cube coming, the solo cube was mass manufactured for a mass market product. Not to say you should not work on keeping the old 2.0 cube alive. I am sure there are some great uses for it. I have one now, but the last one I have I just donated to someone in need.

Those nay sayers are in this as a business and carrier boards connected to pixhawk 2.0 salvaged from solos is a perceived threat to their business model. They use this forum to pitch their Wares.. If you don't fall in line you're going to get smacked!

evil business people, dang them
Honestly, not sure if you know but the guy who built all of this stuff makes his money consulting and designing for a lot more than and end user consumer drones. The firmware everyone is playing with is open source, try getting rich on that. LOL

Reactions: MrSteal
Any update on the quotation for parts assembly?
You rule btw!
Yeah, looking at $15 to $20 - can’t start assembly as unfortunately I have a shipment of components I need stuck in Customs for some reason (been there nearly 2 weeks) no idea why, normally things clear in 24-48 hours.

Yeah, looking at $15 to $20 - can’t start assembly as unfortunately I have a shipment of components I need stuck in Customs for some reason (been there nearly 2 weeks) no idea why, normally things clear in 24-48 hours.
Sorry to hear about the Customs issue I'm sure they'll clear sooner than later. Add me to your list for two at the very least once you've got assembled versions.

Sorry to hear about the Customs issue I'm sure they'll clear sooner than later. Add me to your list for two at the very least once you've got assembled versions.
Stewing over what the problem is over at Prolific CNC. Why is it I can yank the schematics off GitHub and shotgun them over to any of the China PCB manufacturers and have a batch of units shipped DHL to your door in less than a freaking week BUT "THEY" won't can't don't have them EVER?
IMG_20180325_110858.jpgIMG_20180325_110817.jpgIMG_20180325_110914.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Arny58
10 Mini CB sets have been manufactured and ready to ship (including Mini Breakout boards) - waiting on an assembly quote before making a decision on next step.

Depending on the assembly cost, might provide these in kit form for anyone interested in arranging their own assembly, though keep in mind there are some 0402 SMT’s and components mounted on both sides of the board.

As this is just a prototype run, I’ll only have a few available in the short term. If there s enough interest I’ll kick off a 50 or 100 unit production run.

Estimated costs so far in USD (Will reduce on larger run)
Mini CB bare board $10
Mini Breakout bare board $5
All components, headers and CB to Breakout cable $15
Assembly $TBA

Also required..
Pixhawk2 PSM $35 - Power Selection Module - Pixhawk2
Pixhawk2 cable set $15 - Pixhawk2.1 Cable Set - Pixhawk2

I’ll post again as soon as I know the assembly cost.

Where are you procuring the components from? (Digikey is wacked in the head on price!)

Stewing over what the problem is over at Prolific CNC. Why is it I can yank the schematics off GitHub and shotgun them over to any of the China PCB manufacturers and have a batch of units shipped DHL to your door in less than a freaking week BUT "THEY" won't can't don't have them EVER?
View attachment 8333View attachment 8334View attachment 8336
Yeah, I kind of agree that it’s a pain you can’t buy stand alone CB’s, but I also see it from their point of view. HEX is the official manufacturer of PH in agreement made with ProfiCNC in 2016 and they are busy manufacturing and distributing the new products (as @pyrate has mentioned) - as I understand it, ProfiCNC still does the design work (happy to be corrected here)

In any case, as you mentioned, there is nothing stopping anyone grabbing the open source files from GitHub and flicking them off to a PCB manufacturer, which is what I have chosen to do. You just need to buy in decent quantities to get to a decent price point. I’ve got 10 in progress purely to test/qa the manufacturing process and functionality. If successful, I’ll probably order 100 to get to a semi decent price point, depending what interest there is. I for one am very grateful for all the hard work and effort that has gone into the whole PH and ArduPilot open source projects.

Reactions: Arny58
Where are you procuring the components from? (Digikey is wacked in the head on price!)
I went direct to an alleged ‘manufacturer’ in China - I’d suspect they have stuffed up the paper work so it’s stuck in the too hard basket at customs

Decided to cut my losses on that and reordered everything again yesterday from Digikey and element14. Nearly double the price but at least they should arrive

View attachment 8333View attachment 8334View attachment 8336
Are those photos of a retail board or one somebody has had manufactured?

Is it just me or are those connectors not straight? I’d have thought the retail boards would be close to perfectly aligned.

Any chance you could PM me (or post here if you chose) the overseas MFG parts info?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo