Green Cube Update, Open Solo, Versioning and Solex

Reaction score
Trying to get through the green cube update. Upgraded stock Solo from 3DR version 2.4.2 to Open Solo through Solex. Process went fine.

In reviewing to prepare for the green cube install, I see that OpenSolo 2.5-RC2 is the current version as of 4 days ago. I downloaded and installed the Open Solo packages this evening through Solex and did the install. I honestly didn't pay attention to the versions being installed while they were loading.

When I prepare to update the files, both my controller and the Solex app are reporting that I'm on RC1, but the only available updates through Solex are ArduCopter 3.5.3, the 3.5.x parameters and a camera trigger mod. Am I to assume the versioning reported is incorrect and I'm actually on RC2 based on the hfirmware updates? Hard for me to actually tell.

I'm sure it would be fine to proceed either way with RC1, I just would rather do it cleanly without any ambiguity as to which versions I am dealing with since the install vulnerability and locked up cubes were reported.

That's a headache I'd rather try and avoid.

Thanks for all the w ork unshackling Solo so we can all expand the platform.

UPDATE:

Just repeated the process with Bird#2.

I now see other firmware update packages, but still not sure. OpenSolo packaiges are versionless in Solex, so no way to confirm what I'm installng.

Upon reboot controller says RC1.Upon connnection to Solex, Solex says RC1. I now see the rest of the updates, however the only OpenSolo packages available are what I already downloaded (assumed to be RC1), so am I missing something?

Instructions to upgrade to RC2 say to follow the full instructions, skipping the controller update, but that doesn't seem to pull in the RC2 updates in Solex.

I could very well be overthinking it, but I just brought a sick stock cube back from the dead after weeks of sweat and I'd hate to end up there again.

Thanks

Last edited:
the ones you want just say open solo copter and controller with no revision number

Trying to get through the green cube update. Upgraded stock Solo from 3DR version 2.4.2 to Open Solo through Solex. Process went fine.

In reviewing to prepare for the green cube install, I see that OpenSolo 2.5-RC2 is the current version as of 4 days ago. I downloaded and installed the Open Solo packages this evening through Solex and did the install. I honestly didn't pay attention to the versions being installed while they were loading.

When I prepare to update the files, both my controller and the Solex app are reporting that I'm on RC1, but the only available updates through Solex are ArduCopter 3.5.3, the 3.5.x parameters and a camera trigger mod. Am I to assume the versioning reported is incorrect and I'm actually on RC2 based on the hfirmware updates? Hard for me to actually tell.

I'm sure it would be fine to proceed either way with RC1, I just would rather do it cleanly without any ambiguity as to which versions I am dealing with since the install vulnerability and locked up cubes were reported.

That's a headache I'd rather try and avoid.

Thanks for all the w ork unshackling Solo so we can all expand the platform.

UPDATE:

Just repeated the process with Bird#2.

I now see other firmware update packages, but still not sure. OpenSolo packaiges are versionless in Solex, so no way to confirm what I'm installng.

Upon reboot controller says RC1.Upon connnection to Solex, Solex says RC1. I now see the rest of the updates, however the only OpenSolo packages available are what I already downloaded (assumed to be RC1), so am I missing something?

Instructions to upgrade to RC2 say to follow the full instructions, skipping the controller update, but that doesn't seem to pull in the RC2 updates in Solex.

I could very well be overthinking it, but I just brought a sick stock cube back from the dead after weeks of sweat and I'd hate to end up there again.

Thanks

Hello..maybe you can help.

I've been trying to get some help from someone and it sounds like you may know what your doing.
I'm going through the green cube install and have been able to download the open solo firmware on the old cube, then the Arducopter firmware on the new cube...but now Solex won't let me download the remaining firmware saying that my Vehicle is incomparable ?

Can you give me a little direction.
Thanks

you should not have loaded the firmware after the open solo
open solo loads the firmware
this is why I recommend following Matts video

Hi Pyrate,
Wonder if I explained fully.

The OpenSolo install went flawlessly and I'm ready to install my green cube and ArduCopter 3.5.3. I'd like to start by having OpenSolo at RC2 because of the reported issues, but Solex is installing RC1. Did so on two separate birds.

Can I proceed with the GC install/update w/o issues?

Thanks

Hi Pyrate,
Wonder if I explained fully.

The OpenSolo install went flawlessly and I'm ready to install my green cube and ArduCopter 3.5.3. I'd like to start by having OpenSolo at RC2 because of the reported issues, but Solex is installing RC1. Did so on two separate birds.

Can I proceed with the GC install/update w/o issues?

Thanks
Thanks for the link...

Can you provide that link ?
Is what I've done irreversible ?

No, as far as I know not irreversible... But looks like you got a little further than I did. I think I know as much about the install as you do, so I'd hate to be a source of misinformation. I code walthroughs and try my best to break code for systems programmers for a living. I will say the instructions are a little bit scattered and vague. Not a complaint or flame, as I appreciate the time invested by those that have brought us these upgrades, just an observation.

It seems easily recoverable if you muck things up, just time consuming.

I'm going to give the GC install a shot...We'll see how it goes.

Have you found a solution or the info you need to finish up?

Good luck

No, as far as I know not irreversible... But looks like you got a little further than I did. I think I know as much about the install as you do, so I'd hate to be a source of misinformation. I code walthroughs and try my best to break code for systems programmers for a living. I will say the instructions are a little bit scattered and vague. Not a complaint or flame, as I appreciate the time invested by those that have brought us these upgrades, just an observation.

It seems easily recoverable if you muck things up, just time consuming.

I'm going to give the GC install a shot...We'll see how it goes.

Have you found a solution or the info you need to finish up?

Good luck
No.im still stuck....thanks for the input.

RC-2 is called "Open Solo Clean Install (copter or controller).zip. If you already have RC1 on both, you only need to install the (copter) version as the controller does not change. Even though you will be on RC-2, it still will say RC-1 on the controller. With a green cube, you will then load the Arducopter 3..5.3 firmware and then parameters as you did with RC-1. Here is the link to the instructions for Open Solo:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

GREEN CUBE SUCCESS.

After bringing my dead Solo back to life, finally finished the Green Cube update. It went (nearly) flawlessly, although there were a few moments where I wasn't sure. Here are some notes.

I don't now about anyone else, but every time I have to lift out the main board, the pucker factor increases by a factor of 10.

I noted the initial issues experienced by others and wanted to avoid that by installing RC2. It was unclar and a little confusing which version I was actually installing, RC1 or RC2. Since I did so after RC2's release, I assumed it would be RC2.

After I got RC1 installed, tried to upgrade to RC2. Once Solex said that the RC2 update was incompatible with my vehicle, I realized that I needed to upgrade the ardupilot firmware first. After that the RC2 update went fine.

Another freak-out moment came upon the first reboot... The startup tones reminded me of the Pixhawk death rattle I experienced when I lokced up my stock cube. Green LEDs didn't help... But I could see the factory reset was initiaited, so I just waited it out.

After that, the process went smoothly. Got the 3.5.3 firmware loaded and the RC2 update done.

All that's left now is calibrations and a test flight this afternoon.

Thanks to all who are working hard to get Solo live up to its full potential. Your efforts are appreciated and well worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela