Newbie to 3DR Solo

• Thread starter Deleted member 7413
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7413

Hi, I'm new to both 3DR Solo and this forum. I use Solo with my iPhone 6. I have a couple of hopefully simple questions: (1) what is the best/most popular iOS app (excluding the 3DR Solo app)? (2) when I stream my videos onto my phone, why does the video include heads up display info? (3) if I was to purchase an android tablet what are the best ones for 3DR Solo? Thank you

welcome aboard
for the display, go into the gopro setting and turn off the OSD on screen display
the best app on IOS is the 3dr app
I mavlink is another
and I am not sure if it came out of beta but Qground control is ok
let me check

Qground control is out of beta it is not a free app but pretty good
search the app store for mavlink

Hi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to get back to me so quickly with the answers to my questions. WRT The QGroundControl app, its actually on the Apple Store and its free.
Also, would you happen to know which relatively inexpensive android tablets can be used with the 3DR Solo?
Kindest regards...Sam

Hi Sam007, and welcome to the forum. I have 2 android tablets for my Solo. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8", and a Nexus 7 (2013). I find myself using the Nexus most of the time because of the brighter screen. My Tab 4 just isn't bright enough on some days even with a hood. I am sure others will chime in on this, as there are a number of tablets and phones being used. Good luck, and safe flying.

Hi Sam- ditto on the Nexus 7 (2013). I got mine at Amazon for around $100.

It's normal for the information regarding camera settings to show up on the video feed to your phone, but it shouldn't show up on the video recorded to the GoPro SD card. If it does, do what Pyrate said about the OSD.

When you ask about the "best/ most popular iOS app" I presume you are talking about for controlling Solo? If so, Mavlink is the only one available- stick with the 3DR app.

For Android, everybody is raving about Solex even though it's $30. (Worth every penny, NO "in app purchases" or any of that BS)
Tower is the ground control app you can get if you want to fly autonomous missions.

Thanks everybody. You've all been very helpful and kind to take time out of your lives to answer my mundane questions. They are all great suggestions and I hope return the favour some day. Have a great weeken. Sam

Reactions: Maddog
Hi, I purchased Solex a few days ago and just gave it a trial run today. I took a few short videos and when I reviewed them they weren't very good. They were pretty pixelated and the display was very patchy as Solo turned. I have a gimble and a GoPro 3 Black. I have not had this poor quality issues with the native Solo app. Is there something that I need to set in the Solex app? Also, just for curiosity sake, is anyone disappointed that Solex does not have a Map Display like the Solo App?

welcome aboard
for the display, go into the gopro setting and turn off the OSD on screen display
the best app on IOS is the 3dr app
I mavlink is another
and I am not sure if it came out of beta but Qground control is ok
let me check

Pyrate, would that get rid of the onscreen display on my phone? Hated the info displaying when I snap still image..

Hi, I purchased Solex a few days ago and just gave it a trial run today. I took a few short videos and when I reviewed them they weren't very good. They were pretty pixelated and the display was very patchy as Solo turned. I have a gimble and a GoPro 3 Black. I have not had this poor quality issues with the native Solo app. Is there something that I need to set in the Solex app? Also, just for curiosity sake, is anyone disappointed that Solex does not have a Map Display like the Solo App?
Are you talking about the video recorded on the GoPro SD card?
Only used the map for setting up orbit shots but the crosshairs in Solex work fine for me.

I'm referring to the Video that's streamed on my device!

Are you talking about the video recorded on the GoPro SD card?
Only used the map for setting up orbit shots but the crosshairs in Solex work fine for me.
New
I'm referring to the Video that's streamed on my device!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks