Newbee Dumb Questions

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Even after reading the user manual, one pass only, I haven't been able to suppress my inner Arnold Horshack from impulsively raising an arm in this forum, say "Uu! Uu! Uu!", and ask the following dumb questions...where da heck is the "Search" feature? Too excited to ask dumb questions to look hard for it on the user interface.

1) Where on the display can I always look to determine if I'm reaching the distance limit? It's a little difficult to visually gauge the guide stated .5 mile distance limit and I am scared of the Solo going so far that I can no longer control it, and it and I are, literally, solo.

2) I'm a little leery of going to advanced flight mode but, I'll eventually have to. If I interpreted the guide correctly, if I am in advanced flight mode and press the fly button, will pressing it again, return me to the basic fly mode where I can press the return home button? Or, does the return home button work regardless of flight mode? Sorry, I missed that in my first pass of the user guide.

3) I was a little too excited on our maiden flight and didn't check the controller or my iPhone display to see if I got a good GPS lock, do I assume correctly that there is an indicator somewhere that will tell me I don't have a good lock? I assume I did on this flight as the ET go home button worked great!

Thanks greatly!,...for your patience and kindness!

You actually went flying not knowing this stuff?
Nah- you're punkin' us!

(While waiting for replies, you should read the manual again- just saying).:D

Reactions: DroneNerd702
I feel an unfortunate crash in the works
that is a pretty expensive risk to take, most of what your are looking for in information is on the app display.
I can share with you that even having read the manual a dozen times and watching all the flight school videos I pushed and held fly at the wrong time and ditched mine in the sand

Even after reading the user manual, one pass only, I haven't been able to suppress my inner Arnold Horshack from impulsively raising an arm in this forum, say "Uu! Uu! Uu!", and ask the following dumb questions...where da heck is the "Search" feature? Too excited to ask dumb questions to look hard for it on the user interface.

1) Where on the display can I always look to determine if I'm reaching the distance limit? It's a little difficult to visually gauge the guide stated .5 mile distance limit and I am scared of the Solo going so far that I can no longer control it, and it and I are, literally, solo.

2) I'm a little leery of going to advanced flight mode but, I'll eventually have to. If I interpreted the guide correctly, if I am in advanced flight mode and press the fly button, will pressing it again, return me to the basic fly mode where I can press the return home button? Or, does the return home button work regardless of flight mode? Sorry, I missed that in my first pass of the user guide.

3) I was a little too excited on our maiden flight and didn't check the controller or my iPhone display to see if I got a good GPS lock, do I assume correctly that there is an indicator somewhere that will tell me I don't have a good lock? I assume I did on this flight as the ET go home button worked great!

Thanks greatly!,...for your patience and kindness!
Good post! A sign that you'll be a good pilot - admitting you need help!
Ok. See the little magnifying glass near the upper right corner of the page? Push it and search away (I'm assuming you meant the forum search).
Secondly, don't be afraid to go advanced. If you don't change any flight parameters or the like you simply won't know the difference.
You'll then get access to all adjustments. Just set them as needed.
For example: If the area you are flying is littered with super high trees, hills, etc., you'll want to be sure the RTL is set to an appropriate altitude. Obviously, you gotta be high enough to clear them because Solo returns as the crow flies - a straight line! It'll shoot straight up on afterburner and rocket straight above you, then come down. Be high enough!
Third, if you took off... you must've had a good lock. You can't take off without it (unless you're in manual). Give it a try. Make sure everything's ok, remove the props, and start everything up indoors. See that searching for GPS screen? You can fly when that goes off. Of course it's possible your Solo came in manual mode, but if that's the case and you got through a flight... you're way ahead of the game!

You actually went flying not knowing this stuff?
Nah- you're punkin' us!

(While waiting for replies, you should read the manual again- just saying).:D
Well, I kind of didn't mention that I've had a much less expensive drone to practice on before the Solo. I just didn't wanna have to answer any questions as to the model and make. Hehe.

Reactions: Maddog
I feel an unfortunate crash in the works
that is a pretty expensive risk to take, most of what your are looking for in information is on the app display.
I can share with you that even having read the manual a dozen times and watching all the flight school videos I pushed and held fly at the wrong time and ditched mine in the sand
Oh great. I was a bundle of questions and worries prior to making this post. (slaps his forehead). i just haaaad to ask!

Question 1. If you go into the 3DR Solo app on your mobile device and go to advanced settings it will display how high and how far you are from the controller. You can also go to the settings tab in the app and set a limit if you want.

Question 2. Please DO USE advanced flight mode because it has flight settings and displays that are vital for certain situations. It is not hard at all to use these settings and can give you valuable information such as flight height how far you are this is important because I believe you can only be a mile and a half away as of now hopefully that will change soon but you want to always have an idea in case of an issue. Also always fly within your sight.

Question 3. It is good to have GPS lock if your a first time like me however it is good to learn manual and set the A or B button for fly manual because it can get a little on and off at times so don't just rely on GPS or you will also be more restricted with the Solo. You can check to see if your in GPS Lock on your controller at the top left of the screen of the controller it will have a satellite symbol and it will have numbers next to it notifying you how many you have locked. If it is red and your in GPS mode it will not let you fly. Mainly you need at least 9 and have the number be white to know your ok to fly but learn to fly manual don't rely just on the GPS lock it will not be trust worthy at times.

Good post! A sign that you'll be a good pilot - admitting you need help!
Ok. See the little magnifying glass near the upper right corner of the page? Push it and search away (I'm assuming you meant the forum search).
Secondly, don't be afraid to go advanced. If you don't change any flight parameters or the like you simply won't know the difference.
You'll then get access to all adjustments. Just set them as needed.
For example: If the area you are flying is littered with super high trees, hills, etc., you'll want to be sure the RTL is set to an appropriate altitude. Obviously, you gotta be high enough to clear them because Solo returns as the crow flies - a straight line! It'll shoot straight up on afterburner and rocket straight above you, then come down. Be high enough!
Third, if you took off... you must've had a good lock. You can't take off without it (unless you're in manual). Give it a try. Make sure everything's ok, remove the props, and start everything up indoors. See that searching for GPS screen? You can fly when that goes off. Of course it's possible your Solo came in manual mode, but if that's the case and you got through a flight... you're way ahead of the game!
Roger...magnifying glass...upper right of the page. Holy cow. Took me almost a minute to find the dang thing. So, okay, I was going to configure it appropriately for my area, per Las Vegas guideline, no lower than 250 feet near or around residential area for privacy. I may be a newb but, I can read hehe. Max I was able to attain on today's maiden flight was around 156 or something like that. Tomorrow, if conditions are good, going with 250 feet in advanced mode. Found a very large clearing for practice today but there's another one closer. Alllright, good to know I can't take off in that flight mode but, the warm fuzzy feeling went when you mentioned I can take off without it in manual mode. I do recall a part in the user guide that sez if the Solo grabs a lock while already in flight, that's where "home" is. Yikes. I gotta watch for that. I wish I could tell the controller that its position is home. Good tip on removing the blades and turning it on indoors to get cozy with the display. Clevvverrr! Now why didn't I think of that? Because I'm a noob. That's why. Going to try that when my spare batts arrive. I friggin ordered two without realizing it. Well, cool man, thanks all for the replies and easy welcome. I thought I was going to come back to a bunch of butt whipping responses lol.

Question 1. If you go into the 3DR Solo app on your mobile device and go to advanced settings it will display how high and how far you are from the controller. You can also go to the settings tab in the app and set a limit if you want.

Question 2. Please DO USE advanced flight mode because it has flight settings and displays that are vital for certain situations. It is not hard at all to use these settings and can give you valuable information such as flight height how far you are this is important because I believe you can only be a mile and a half away as of now hopefully that will change soon but you want to always have an idea in case of an issue. Also always fly within your sight.

Question 3. It is good to have GPS lock if your a first time like me however it is good to learn manual and set the A or B button for fly manual because it can get a little on and off at times so don't just rely on GPS or you will also be more restricted with the Solo. You can check to see if your in GPS Lock on your controller at the top left of the screen of the controller it will have a satellite symbol and it will have numbers next to it notifying you how many you have locked. If it is red and your in GPS mode it will not let you fly. Mainly you need at least 9 and have the number be white to know your ok to fly but learn to fly manual don't rely just on the GPS lock it will not be trust worthy at times.
I'm feeling that self-confidence and excitement returning! How high and how far is exactly what I'm looking for and if it's only available in advanced mode then, that's where I wanna be to try and get rid of this uncomfortable "helicopter parent" feeling with my baby. Huh, interesting, I definitely need to re-re-review the user guide because I don't recall seeing the indicators you mentioned. Well, I did see some of course but perhaps this might be a clue, for my eyesight at least, that I should get an ipad mini for a bigger display. I did do a little bit of steering for today's maiden flight besides try the default B button preset for Orbit but, I don't think that's "true manual"? Anyhow, going to try advanced mode tomorrow if the weather's good. Thanks for the reply man! The answers I've gotten so far has me feeling "upwardly mobile" !!

Well, I kind of didn't mention that I've had a much less expensive drone to practice on before the Solo. I just didn't wanna have to answer any questions as to the model and make. Hehe.
No worries! We are more than happy to help those that ask for help- welcome aboard!:)

Just to clarify, you don't need to fly in any advanced mode to get basic flight information such as your altitude, distance from "home"" etc. That info is always available in every flight mode.

Don't ever take off without a good GPS lock if you can get it. All safety features such as Return To Home and Pause, rely on GPS to save your butt if you get in trouble. With a good pre takeoff lock, if you fly out of controller range, Solo will simply RTH and land. Just be sure to set your RTH altitude high enough to clear all obstacles between you and Solo.

Here endeth the lesson for now...

...basic flight information such as your altitude, distance from "home"" etc. ...is always available in every flight mode.

...safety features such as Return To Home and Pause, rely on GPS to save your butt if you get in trouble. With a good pre takeoff lock, if you fly out of controller range, Solo will simply RTH and land. Just be sure to set your RTH altitude high enough to clear all obstacles between you and Solo.

Here endeth the lesson for now...

(Salutes) (Stands at parade-dress) Thank you, Sir, for chilling out my Drone "Helicopter Parent" anxiety. I will be make multiple round-trip sanity check look-ups in the user guide. Not to refute any advise that's been given so far but to merely say to himself in flabbergast, "dang!"

(Salutes) (Stands at parade-dress) Thank you, Sir, for chilling out my Drone "Helicopter Parent" anxiety. I will be make multiple round-trip sanity check look-ups in the user guide. Not to refute any advise that's been given so far but to merely say to himself in flabbergast, "dang!"
DroneNerd, while in the Solo app and connected to Solo, if you tap on the little Home icon in the upper LH side of the screen the info bar will drop down with additional helpful realtime information.
Welcome to the forum!......BTW, are you really 113? :D

DroneNerd, while in the Solo app and connected to Solo, if you tap on the little Home icon in the upper LH side of the screen the info bar will drop down with additional helpful realtime information.
Welcome to the forum!......BTW, are you really 113? :D

113 going on 20! The Solo is no toy but, I swear, it's been making my inner child joyous. I had more practice today but, had to make two trips out to this field on account the first mid-morning session, I forgot to enable record. Duh! Me! Thus, on the second trip back after a battery re-charge at home, I reminded myself to slap myself in the back of the head to be sure record on the go-pro is on. I made a setting change on the controller and now the GoPro's record button doesn't show up on the iPhone. Weeyerd.

I did experiment with the different flight modes, yikes, nervous time, but I soon got into a zone of comfort. Main focus for today's flying session was getting a feel for keep the solo in my line of sight while simultaneously peeking at the controller display for distance and elevation. Main thing was to have it help me gauge real time distance with distance stated on the display and eyes to controller and navigation dexterity. Was able to take it up to 250 feet and out to a nice distance of 750 feet. It was kind of funny at first because I had mixed up the 750 feet for elevation and I already imagined the sound of police sirens coming my way. Geezo.

Gawd, look at me, I sound as serious as a heart attack. But, I had fun today! Lots of fun. I love my Solo.

Also, go to the 3DR website and watch the "how-to" series of Solo videos, not to mention videos on YouTube!

Ohh yeah but, of course. But I can only take so much of it. It gets to a point where I'm salivating and wanting to go do some flying myself but, I'm making a point to watch at least 1 tutorial a day. If not, three!

113 going on 20! The Solo is no toy but, I swear, it's been making my inner child joyous. I had more practice today but, had to make two trips out to this field on account the first mid-morning session, I forgot to enable record. Duh! Me! Thus, on the second trip back after a battery re-charge at home, I reminded myself to slap myself in the back of the head to be sure record on the go-pro is on. I made a setting change on the controller and now the GoPro's record button doesn't show up on the iPhone. Weeyerd.

I did experiment with the different flight modes, yikes, nervous time, but I soon got into a zone of comfort. Main focus for today's flying session was getting a feel for keep the solo in my line of sight while simultaneously peeking at the controller display for distance and elevation. Main thing was to have it help me gauge real time distance with distance stated on the display and eyes to controller and navigation dexterity. Was able to take it up to 250 feet and out to a nice distance of 750 feet. It was kind of funny at first because I had mixed up the 750 feet for elevation and I already imagined the sound of police sirens coming my way. Geezo.

Gawd, look at me, I sound as serious as a heart attack. But, I had fun today! Lots of fun. I love my Solo.
I can't remember how many times I forgot to turn the GoPro on before takeoff! Lol It happens..

I don't think the police will come after you- unless you collide with a 747 and bring it down..on a school..full of grade schoolers..on meet the teacher day..with dignitaries from 43 countries on hand..to dedicate a memorial to veterans..while 200 vets are there.. with their families...whoa- that was weird.:confused:

Here's my YouTube channel in case anyone wants to check out this newbee's self progress. Basically using it to jot down general notes but, leaving some stuff out. For example, on my maiden flight,

With record to camera roll, the user interface on my iPhone had the typical video record controls, where as with the setting off, the big red dot to start / stop record was absent. This threw me off on the follow up flight session at another location. Ugh. I think I recall a setting in there somewhere, where you can specify to start recording as soon as you start flying. To be confirmed.

Also, during maiden flight, there was a moment when I seemed to have lost functionality of the controller. I couldn't pilot. So, I panicked and pressed RTH. This did not happen at any time during my follow up flight.

Video quality. Much better when recording direct to GoPro. Have to remember to check and set the color which I didn't do on the next day's flight.

One panic moment I had during the second flight was, I became temporarily disoriented between the controller and the drone. It was only at 15 feet high and about 30 feet from my spot. When I toggled the joystick for the Solo to move forward, it moved backward instead. For some reason, I froze and kept my eye on the drone and tried to pilot based on my line of sight. I realized then that I should have more trust in the iPhone display because essentially, I can see what the drone sees, and use that to stay oriented. Anyway, weird moment.

Oh, my drones had babies the other day. Came with cute little controllers too. According to the instructions that came with them, you can fly them indoors and I was like, "sheeeit, yer crazy". The lil critters can zip from A to B in no time and therefore need to be tied down with fish wire just to be able to adjust trim before flying them. Then I read further, "suggested minimum space for flying is in a space with 200 square feet in either direction". You got that right. Flying these things inside the house is nutty. But, they're cute as hell though.

Attachments

• WD_9E91.JPG
    WD_9E91.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
Man, DroneNerd.... you better watch out for all them trees and buildings around yer flying place!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo