ND filter recommendations

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking around for a filter or two for my Hero 4 Black, and am curious what people recommend at present.

Suggestions on vendors, combinations, etc are welcome.

Cheers.

Hi folks,

I'm looking around for a filter or two for my Hero 4 Black, and am curious what people recommend at present.

Cheers.
Did you search for "filter" on this forum?

Hi folks,

Cheers.
I've had good results using Polar Pro Filters. ND4 and 8 get used the most

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

If you are going to use the shutter lock on the new firmware you are going to need some high stop filters 16 and higher.
The polar Pros are good, SRP are good.
Currently I am using the 8 filter pack from Peau. $80.
They are boty ND and Circular Polorizers

I had a problem with one of them, but Peau replaced it no charge

Thanks folks, that's the sort of feedback I was after - Looks like PolarPro and Peau are still the preferred options, and no-one has found something new/better.

And yes - I did search @SARDG, but there's a lot of results, and I was looking for *current* recommendations, in case there are new/better options available.

I think I'll grab a set of PolarPro stuff.

Cheers.

Thanks folks, that's the sort of feedback I was after - Looks like PolarPro and Peau are still the preferred options, and no-one has found something new/better.

And yes - I did search @SARDG, but there's a lot of results, and I was looking for *current* recommendations, in case there are new/better options available.

Cheers.
...and that's why you 'order' by Most Recent in your search. I'm glad that others have been more kind than I. My philosophy remains unchanged however...

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day,
Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime.

I just rarely feel so entitled that I can't spend a moment doing my own searches. Or as my mommy would say if I asked how to spell a word - "look it up!"

As both an NRA and a Coast Guard Aux Instructor, I prefer to challenge my students. :eek:

Cheers.
Amazon has the Polar Pro 6 pack for $99. includes a ND 4, 8, 16 and 32 plus a couple of PL filters which are great for water video. Well worth the money slowing down the shutter. With an ISO of 400 on the video I can get down to 1/125 of a second using a 32 on a sunny day. Colors pop nice also.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Are the polar pro circular polarizers too?
that would be the only big difference in them, though I think the Peau is a bit lighter and the 8 pack was 80 bucks not sure if they still are.

On all these filters, a note of caution if your running one of the new 16mp after market lenses like the Peau 3.97. they can push on the back of the filter and cause the lens to pop out.
I am using an oring on the base of the lens housing to prevent that now.

that would be the only big difference in them, though I think the Peau is a bit lighter and the 8 pack was 80 bucks not sure if they still are.

On all these filters, a note of caution if your running one of the new 16mp after market lenses like the Peau 3.97. they can push on the back of the filter and cause the lens to pop out.
Yes, the Polar Pro are circular polarizers.

I'm using SRP set of 3 and they appear to maintain good color through the depth of ND's. Quality build and having the ability to separate to clean the lens is great. With CP lenses, you'll need to remark orientation when lens are removed for cleaning.....silver sharpie. These are heavier than the PP, but I've had no issues with gimbal balance in flight and do not use a balance kit. Fit is nice and snug on my camera, without supplied o-rings.

I also have the "pro" kit from Polar Pro, 6 filters. Light weight and fits well without adding provided spacers. The fixed lens allows you to mark the adapter for the CP orientation and forget. Cleaning is a bother, but just make a point to not expose the interior lens for log periods.

I'd like to try Taco RC's high-end set of coated filters, but still playing around with what I have....

I'm using a Peau 3.97 with the Polar Pro filters and have not had a problem. Everything is also very crisp.
Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks