My first urban exploration with the Solo - Video

Reaction score
This was filmed on 2 Solos with a friend who also owns the Solo, in fact this was his first flight with the gimbal, this was filmed in around an hour, edited over 2 evenings. It's a fairly dangerous site, so we avoided any internal shots, but I may go back looking for some safe enough to shoot and then add those to the edit.

One GoPro is stock fisheye lens (corrected in post), the other a 4.35mm. I think they match together fairly well, but judge for yourself.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed that Ian! Loved the low level shots and great subject area.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
This was filmed on 2 Solos with a friend who also owns the Solo, in fact this was his first flight with the gimbal, this was filmed in around an hour, edited over 2 evenings. It's a fairly dangerous site, so we avoided any internal shots, but I may go back looking for some safe enough to shoot and then add those to the edit.

One GoPro is stock fisheye lens (corrected in post), the other a 4.35mm. I think they match together fairly well, but judge for yourself.

Really nice. Congrats!

It's amazing what you can do with the imagination and the creativity .. Really good Job Ian.

I'm also interested in the lens question. Thinking about doing a lens mod to speed up the eliminate the process in post.

That was cool!

I'm also interested in the lens question. Thinking about doing a lens mod to speed up the eliminate the process in post.

Post processing with either lens has pros and cons.

The stock GoPro lens, on one hand has fisheye which takes extra time in post (for render time) to remove, but on the plus side it picks up less vibration, so the shots need stabilising far less often.

On the other hand the 4.35mm, looks a bit sharper, doesn't need fisheye removing, but it picks up more vibration, especially on fairly gusty days like the one shot here. So it takes as much if not more post time dealing with this lens. I'm assuming 3DR will improve the gimbal performance in future especially with the yaw motion in the wind, so it may become unnecessary, but right now some 4.35mm footage will be best dealt with using ProDrenali, Mercalli, Warp Stabilizer or similar.

Personally right now, I'd only change your lens if that's essential to you, either if you're doing commercial work or if you're just a perfectionist. For most people I'd recommend, sticking with the stock lens for now. I'd consider getting the ProDrenalin software using the voucher code 3DR as it's a small price to pay to be able to deal with vibration in gusting winds.

Reactions: RichWest
Post processing with either lens has pros and cons.

The stock GoPro lens, on one hand has fisheye which takes extra time in post (for render time) to remove, but on the plus side it picks up less vibration, so the shots need stabilising far less often.

On the other hand the 4.35mm, looks a bit sharper, doesn't need fisheye removing, but it picks up more vibration, especially on fairly gusty days like the one shot here. So it takes as much if not more post time dealing with this lens. I'm assuming 3DR will improve the gimbal performance in future especially with the yaw motion in the wind, so it may become unnecessary, but right now some 4.35mm footage will be best dealt with using ProDrenali, Mercalli, Warp Stabilizer or similar.

Personally right now, I'd only change your lens if that's essential to you, either if you're doing commercial work or if you're just a perfectionist. For most people I'd recommend, sticking with the stock lens for now. I'd consider getting the ProDrenalin software using the voucher code 3DR as it's a small price to pay to be able to deal with vibration in gusting winds.

So it sounds like one should definitely avoid the 5.44mm lens - 2x closer but probably also 2x vibration... I was thinking about the 4.35mm myself...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc