Did a shoot at a Wal-Mart and playing back the videos it hit me how much quieter the T-motors are. In the clip below there was virtually no wind, so the wind noise you hear is from the prop wash of the Solo.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And here is a clip from last summer (before gimbals were shipping as you can tell). Notice the difference in motor noise?

Did a shoot at a Wal-Mart and playing back the videos it hit me how much quieter the T-motors are. In the clip below there was virtually no wind, so the wind noise you hear is from the prop wash of the Solo.

And here is a clip from last summer (before gimbals were shipping as you can tell). Notice the difference in motor noise?

Difference is like night and day: thanks for sharing.

Reactions: RolandS888
I'm wondering: how is real safe MT2216 bearings resource. T-Motors says it's 60 hours, but 3DR are telling us, that they much cheaper bearings will last 150 hours (which is very unlikely IMO, but this is written in manual). It's very unbalanced statements, because motors quality difference is significant. So, maybe 60 hours is way too short on such a quality product and we can safely fly for at least let's say 100 hours. It's not a very big problem to change even motors after 60 hours of flight time (it will be about 2 years in my style of flying ;) ), but don't want to throw away quality product and mess with disassembling, soldering again. Any thoughts from fellow members of this forum ?

Last edited:
I highly doubt that the 150hrs stated in the manual will be true in the real world. At this point in time it's to early to tell but I'm sure some guys have been logging lots of hours and we soon might have some data as to what we can really expect the lifespan to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering: how is real safe MT2216 bearings resource. T-Motors says it's 60 hours, but 3DR are telling us, that they much cheaper bearings will last 150 hours (which is very unlikely IMO, but this is written in manual). It's very unbalanced statements, because motors quality difference is significant. So, maybe 60 hours is way too short on such a quality product and we can safely fly for at least let's say 100 hours. It's not a very big problem to change even motors after 60 hours of flight time (it will be about 2 years in my style of flying ;) ), but don't want to throw away quality product and mess with disassembling, soldering again. Any thoughts from fellow members of this forum ?
Can you please point me to the documentation on where 3DR says to change the bearings at 150 hours? From what I remember, they didn't mention bearings at all and said 150 hours is how long the MOTOR lasts. I think you're comparing apples to oranges. Bearings are not the same thing as the actual motor.

Reactions: RichWest
Can you please point me to the documentation on where 3DR says to change the bearings at 150 hours? From what I remember, they didn't mention bearings at all and said 150 hours is how long the MOTOR lasts. I think you're comparing apples to oranges. Bearings are not the same thing as the actual motor.

If 3DR claims motors will last 150 hours, so original 3DR bearings should last 150 hours also. What's not clear here? A point of my post was about possible real resource of T-Motors bearings and 3DR motors was only used as reference.

What's clear is you are making an assumption. "...so bearings should last 150 hours"

Given that the bearings are the only part of the motor that sustains any wear, it seems more logical deduction than assumption.

After received warranty motors from 3DR (one of my Solo motor pods failed at between 5 an 6 hours of flight, other was suspicious- very loud bearings, so 3DR sent me 2 motor pods as warranty replacements), fitting them into my Solo and made few test flights, finally decided to switch to T-Motors MT2216. The last drop regarding decision was, that newly received motors sounds uneven and terrible: even worse than old ones, which was originally on Solo and I can feel a lot of vibration also. Upgrade went smooth, soldering was a little bit challenging for not so experienced solderer like me, but it went OK. Made a test flight today: everything is working fine so far :) . Sounds and vibration differs like night and day. Only made one stupid mistake (stupid, because it only takes to look at props tightening direction and props blades curvature and everything became clear :) ) and think it will be useful for future upgraders to know about it. Initially thought that arrows on the top of motor pods indicates rotation, but that's not true. Motors rotates in opposite to arrows directions. You should look at attached diagram from Solo user manual. So, made this mistake and was forced to swap and re-solder two wires of each motor. Used props adapters from Team BlackSheep online store @RolandS888 pointed at and can re-confirm they are fitting/working fine with original Solo props and MT2216 motors.

Once again big thanks for @RolandS888 and others fellows members of this forum for this wonderful and very useful thread.
View media item 270

And these appear to be re-branded T-Motor 900kv, exact same specs, $160 for (4) with TBS prop adapters

Team BlackSheep Online Store - 900kV2 Motor Set 4pcs
I believe Roland does provide some results for same motors from his testing. Page two or three in this thread.... I went with the 800kV version based on his recommendation only. My sole reasoning to change was to have a smoother operating motor, which I now have.

The TBS 900kv motors are T motors in black paint, thats the only difference.
$160 for 4, including PAs that fit the stock Solo props is a good deal.
800kV or 900kV is not gong to make any significant difference as the stock Solo "Sunny-T" motors rpm/V is somewhere in between there anyway..
Pic copied from earlier in this thread.
imgp4646-jpg.2075

Reactions: RichWest and Nerius
I believe Roland does provide some results for same motors from his testing. Page two or three in this thread.... I went with the 800kV version based on his recommendation only. My sole reasoning to change was to have a smoother operating motor, which I now have.
This is the post @RichWest was referring to, I wont repost it, its kinda long.
It was all happening back on page 3.
Motors Swapped to T-Motor 2216-12 800kV

the t motors look bigger, is that just an illusion?
so if 40 bucks is not big deal would you go amazon or TBS

the t motors look bigger, is that just an illusion?
so if 40 bucks is not big deal would you go amazon or TBS
I've done a lot of business with TBS and they are good company, but if you are in the US they ship from the US with Amazon. TBS is overseas and if you needed to return anything it becomes more expensive and time consuming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado