Lets talk about CRASHES (video posting etc)

Reaction score
Crash my Solo today , was flying around of church when lost signal (am was 150 ft away ) , solo switched to Return Home mode and hit the tower . Aftermath gimbal destroyed , same as gopro 4 black , shell cracked (needs to be replaced ) propellers , LED covers missing . Here is the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds like a clear case of pilot error. Seems like you shouldn't have been flying until you understood what would happen on loss of signal.

Probably would have been a good idea for you to have joined here and read up before buying and flying your Solo.

Hope you didn't hurt the church!

Reactions: Solo Keith
Greg am not blaming the system , and i own the drone for more than a year now , just want share my situation with you guys . By the way i just oredered a new shell , is there any step by step videos of replacing it ? Thank you
Sounds like a clear case of pilot error. Seems like you shouldn't have been flying until you understood what would happen on loss of signal.

Probably would have been a good idea for you to have joined here and read up before buying and flying your Solo.

Don't care to see your video.

By the way i just oredered a new shell , is there any step by step videos of replacing it ? Thank you
I haven't seen one, but it would be good to film yourself taking it apart so you can review to see how it goes back if you get stuck. I'm sure it's fairly intuitive.

Alex- sorry about your crash. Here is a link to a video that might help:

Was your RTL altitude set higher than the tower?

Reactions: AlexDigassta
@Maddog @PdxSteve thank you for reply guys . I just find the video with step by step instructions , looks like its straight from 3DR

Reactions: Maddog
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure your RTL altitude is set to a value higher than the highest surrounding obstacle. Or, this is what will happen.

Mine is set for 135ft, which is high enough to clear any trees around here, and account for small changes in elevation. Before every flight, I check the RTL altitude and max altitude settings to verify.

Send it to me first; I'd like to 3d scan it so I can modify and print it :) Too lazy to remove everything from mine lol.

Hope you didn't hurt the church!

Actually I think it's very valuable for people like Alex to share experiences just like this. Clearly there was some fault with the Solo that caused it to lose signal, but maybe it was out of range or something else. But he's not blaming the Solo....just sharing.

Solo has SO many features that like RTH and SmartShot that make it so easy for anyone to fly it. But it's still SO important for people to understand how these features work, and what type of possible unforeseen consequences there can be from using them. Heck, when I first got mine I had NEVER flown ANY drone before, and within an hour of opening the box, I was up in the air. But I lacked any basic knowledge of how to fly. I let Solo do it all. In hindsight I was lucky that I never had a bad crash. Now I've spent some time in open areas flying in Manual mode, trying to learn basic manual flight, but I still suck! But when it comes to using RTH or any of those features, I understand how they work and what could possibly happen if there's obstructions in the flight path.

I honestly think that a large part of the complaints and bad press we hear about Solo is because of uneducated pilots. People who rely too much on the autonomous features but lack the basic knowledge of how they work and how to control the drone without them.

Clearly there was some fault with the Solo that caused it to lose signal, but maybe it was out of range or something else. But he's not blaming the Solo....just sharing.
Not sure how you can say "Clearly there was some fault with the Solo" without more evidence. Possibly having the church or tower in the way is not the fault of the Solo.

And yes, posting this with the admission of pilot error may alert others new to drones and Solo to be careful and to what may happen in given situations.

Reactions: Solo Keith
What happened here is exactly what happened Colin, which he talked about in his last webinar as a reason for developing rewind.

Is it just me or does it look like it returns to home way faster than normal?

I usually look around before my flight and make the RTL way stupid. I want that thing as high as possible so that shit does'nt happen to me. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Crash my Solo today , was flying around of church when lost signal (am was 150 ft away ) , solo switched to Return Home mode and hit the tower . Aftermath gimbal destroyed , same as gopro 4 black , shell cracked (needs to be replaced ) propellers , LED covers missing . Here is the link
Alex it takes a lot of guts and class to share a mistake or failure of any kind. Plus the fact that you know in advance that there are going to be the self righteous children on here who will take advantage of your bravery to knock you down a few steps lower, or tell you how wrong you are in detail. Just remember, NASA lost a few things as well.. With horrible results. As sad as it is, they will be the first to tell you that spaceflight usually made it largest strides when learning from the data of failures. I can personally say I learned something from your video, and because of that you may have saved me from a similar fate. Thank you sir, and keep doing what your doing (minus the crashes.. avoid those as best you can!!) :)
Jay

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo