Lets talk about CRASHES (video posting etc)

Actually I think it's very valuable for people like Alex to share experiences just like this. Clearly there was some fault with the Solo that caused it to lose signal, but maybe it was out of range or something else. But he's not blaming the Solo....just sharing.

Solo has SO many features that like RTH and SmartShot that make it so easy for anyone to fly it. But it's still SO important for people to understand how these features work, and what type of possible unforeseen consequences there can be from using them. Heck, when I first got mine I had NEVER flown ANY drone before, and within an hour of opening the box, I was up in the air. But I lacked any basic knowledge of how to fly. I let Solo do it all. In hindsight I was lucky that I never had a bad crash. Now I've spent some time in open areas flying in Manual mode, trying to learn basic manual flight, but I still suck! But when it comes to using RTH or any of those features, I understand how they work and what could possibly happen if there's obstructions in the flight path.

I honestly think that a large part of the complaints and bad press we hear about Solo is because of uneducated pilots. People who rely too much on the autonomous features but lack the basic knowledge of how they work and how to control the drone without them.
You might think about a cheaper drone to work on your flying skills without having to worry about damaging your Solo. I started out with a $50 Syma X5C, then moved onto the bigger $100 X8C. Crashed a lot but only needed to replace a few props.

Reactions: pyrate
You might think about a cheaper drone to work on your flying skills without having to worry about damaging your Solo. I started out with a $50 Syma X5C, then moved onto the bigger $100 X8C. Crashed a lot but only needed to replace a few props.

At this point I'm fairly comfortable so I take the risk. I'm smart about where I fly, and generally really aware of my surroundings as well as exactly where my Solo is in the sky. If there's a malfunction and I have a crash, I'm prepared to accept the responsibility.

Reactions: Maddog
Would the new Solo app rewind feature have helped get the craft back home without hitting obstacles in this case?

Would the new Solo app rewind feature have helped get the craft back home without hitting obstacles in this case?
More than likely. The default is to rewind the last 60 feet (I believe) and then RTH, so it should have been out of the way. The rewind length is adjustable in the 2.4 version of the app. Rewind is currently in the Android version and works, you just can't adjust the length yet. It is adjustable in the ios version of the app.

Last edited:
Hey Steve, I wonder if that is one of the new parameters in the FW? Wouldn't surprise me since it is active but not in the SW yet for adjusting. But the FW is the same as iOS so it should be in the there. Probably could be adjusted in Tower.

That would make sense. I guess we can dl the parameters in tower/mp and search for some sort of rewind setting.

good advice
now that I am an ace flying solo, My 650 frame X8 sort of scares me sometimes
That thing is knarly

Reactions: Maddog
Guys i just got my Solo SHELL in the mail today here is the pictures . Pretty impressive packaging .

Attachments

• IMG_20160701_092333515_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20160701_092352766_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20160701_092406590_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member