Leg present in 4K video

Reaction score
So I tried out 4K for the first time on the Solo, and noticed that it is showing the leg to the left of the video (will never go away). Has anyone else got this their Solo leg in the shot while shooting 4K Wide. If so any ideas to minimize this issue, or get rid of it completely?

I was thinking about printing some "new" legs out on the 3D printer, to set them just a bit farther apart, as well as make them a bit longer. As the Solo legs are way too short with the 3 axis Gimbal installed. GoPro gets covered in the grass on launch, which is a problem when there is a little bit of moisture on the ground, as the water will get on the lens easily. Most importantly just for the fact the legs are too short.

Attachments

• SoloLeg.jpeg
    SoloLeg.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 36
Unfortunatley for now they recommend medium fov or editing as our options, I use medium more times than not now. That or Ive heard either of the popular rectilinear lens options for GoPro keep the legs out, this is my plan when the weather gets bad here soon.

yup. the wide is going to catch that front right leg and occasionally the props too. you have the option as i have found out to shoot medium or narrow on 2.7 as you already know 4k only offers wide - OR - as a friend mentioned - you can edit into the center portion of your 4k file and remove the fish eye and cut away the edges. there may be other ways - but that's my dime's worth. :)

ps - Narrow can be FUN and slightly scary.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Thanks for the rely. Yeah I have been shooting in 1080 and seems fine for me. I just wanted to try out 4K for the first time and see. Really thinking about printing out some legs, to get it out of the view of the lens. I am also looking at getting a new lens for the GoPro to remove that fisheye look all together, without having to edit it in post.

Thanks for the rely. Yeah I have been shooting in 1080 and seems fine for me. I just wanted to try out 4K for the first time and see. Really thinking about printing out some legs, to get it out of the view of the lens. I am also looking at getting a new lens for the GoPro to remove that fisheye look all together, without having to edit it in post.
If you have good luck with new legs I'm sure me and others would purchase some if you wanted to make the time spent worthwhile. Just a thought, sooner or later I'll buy a printer as well till then I'm happy to buy any good add ons folks come up with.

Thanks
AD

would be great to help out fellow Solo flyers. Best of all "or not", I would end up testing the legs first to make sure the Solo will not crash. Plus at work we have a scale that can measure in grams, so I can tell if the legs are just the slightest bit heavier or lighter.

I shoot in 4K almost exclusively and seldom get the legs in the shot, unless I make hard maneuvers or the Solo is caught by a gust of wind.

I don't seem to get the props either, but I set the top angle of my gimbal to 85 degrees. This is something I've done with previous 3DR quads (and an old phantom). It still looks like the solo is shooting straight ahead, but it's actually tilted down by 5 degrees, preventing the props from entering the frame (again, unless I make hard maneuvers or solo gets caught by strong winds).

If you are always seeing one leg, you may want to try re-installing your gimbal to make sure it's seated properly.

I shoot in 4K almost exclusively and seldom get the legs in the shot, unless I make hard maneuvers or the Solo is caught by a gust of wind.

I don't seem to get the props either, but I set the top angle of my gimbal to 85 degrees. This is something I've done with previous 3DR quads (and an old phantom). It still looks like the solo is shooting straight ahead, but it's actually tilted down by 5 degrees, preventing the props from entering the frame (again, unless I make hard maneuvers or solo gets caught by a strong winds).

If you are always seeing one leg, you may want to try re-installing your gimbal to make sure it's seated properly.

I will try the angle bit, see if that helps. I do know the gimbal is seated properly as I was really meticulous about getting the cables tucked in and the gimbal base firmly planted into the Solo. With all edges being smooth with the Solo body.

I will try the angle bit, see if that helps. I do know the gimbal is seated properly as I was really meticulous about getting the cables tucked in and the gimbal base firmly planted into the Solo. With all edges being smooth with the Solo body.
Maybe try pushing the performance sliders down a bit to soften things up.

I should add that I generally record video using one of the smart shots (mainly cable cam), so when I'm flying manually I might not be noticing the legs.

I should add that I generally record video using one of the smart shots (mainly cable cam), so when I'm flying manually I might not be noticing the legs.

Will check that as well. I only noticed it when reviewing the footage.

I don't seem to get the props either, but I set the top angle of my gimbal to 85 degrees. This is something I've done with previous 3DR quads (and an old phantom). It still looks like the solo is shooting straight ahead, but it's actually tilted down by 5 degrees, preventing the props from entering the frame (again, unless I make hard maneuvers or solo gets caught by strong winds).

Hmm are you using a stock hero or a lense upgrade, I get quite a bit of leg as well and I've seen others mention it a lot. Strange it would seem you got lucky somehow if your not getting any in normal flight.
I rarely see a prop ever and my angle seems to start out set to 85, but I honestly haven't used 4K a lot because of this, maybe I'll have to try again and see how it does. Thanks

I should also add that with previous quads I actually would directly configure and calibrate the gimbal software to limit it to 85 degrees.

With the Solo I just program the preset button to 85 degrees and try to use that rather than manually tilting up to 85 - because it's easy to over shoot. Does that make sense? Since the Solo is open, you can configure the gimbal software manually, but the preset button seems to be good enough for me so far and I don't feel like figuring out how to configure the gimbal firmware directly (I'm sure it's a hassle).

Hmm are you using a stock hero or a lense upgrade, I get quite a bit of leg as well and I've seen others mention it a lot. Strange it would seem you got lucky somehow if your not getting any in normal flight.
I rarely see a prop ever and my angle seems to start out set to 85, but I honestly haven't used 4K a lot because of this, maybe I'll have to try again and see how it does. Thanks
I use both a stock GoPro and a 4.35mm custom lens on a second GoPro.

But when I am recording I always fly very soft and slow. And when I use something like cable cam, I always set up a gentle yaw sweep (mostly to avoid judder at 30fps).

Since you've "seen others mention it a lot" I thought I better tweak the language under Resolution in the GoPro sticky. Instead of just saying you won't get the legs, I changed it to: you wont get the legs if you fly very soft and slow, especially when yawning.

Last edited:
Since you've "seen other mention it a lot" I thought I better tweak the language under Resolution in the GoPro sticky. Instead of just saying you won't get the legs, I changed it to: you wont get the legs if you fly very soft and slow, especially when yawning.
Good point Erik.. Haven't tried flying while 'Yawning' yet..:D

Reactions: erikgraham
If you have good luck with new legs I'm sure me and others would purchase some if you wanted to make the time spent worthwhile. Just a thought, sooner or later I'll buy a printer as well till then I'm happy to buy any good add ons folks come up with.

Thanks
AD

I would buy new front legs as well. It seems in wide angle and with any wind they always sneak into the view. I also have the Relish leg extenders which make the legs even bulkier and more noticeable. I really hope someone puts out some better alternatives... I've been strongly considering hand launching and just getting rid of the legs altogether, or at least the one that's the main culprit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc