Learning to Fly

Reaction score
I got my Solo three days ago and have been slowly learning how to fly it. So far, it's been pretty easy. I just need to work on my cinematic sweeps and composition. I have no flying experience but I'm a landscape photographer. I need to get to the point where I'm worried less about flying and more about composition. Having a frozen lake (Minnetonka) here in Minnesota is helpful!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Coming from video world to UAVs I can tell you. there is only one way to get to that point where you don't have to worry about flying.
Fly, and fly a lot, learn to fly manual learn to deal with emergencies
When all that is automatic, you are on the way

Reactions: Bob I.
Try 2.6k at 60 shots per second. You will not see landing gear or props. Slow down your speed and panning while filming. Nice views. Well done

Welcome to the forum! Looks great for first timer!
As others have said, practice, practice, practice. I bought a cheap Syma X5C, then X8C to learn and practice on. That way I could handle Solo if the automation failed.

Try 2.6k at 60 shots per second. You will not see landing gear or props. Slow down your speed and panning while filming. Nice views. Well done

Yeah my previous vids were done a those settings but I had to give 4K a go. I had just changed the default settings, mostly to get more altitude but yes, I need to slow down speed and panning to avoid props. I plan to get a narrower FOV lens from Peau.

Here's an earlier one, only my second flight.

Reactions: Maddog
Welcome to the forum, Bob. Nice job on your first two posted videos. I really liked the second one. Much smoother, and I liked the sunset over the lake.

Welcome to the forum, Bob. Nice job on your first two posted videos. I really liked the second one. Much smoother, and I liked the sunset over the lake.
Thanks! Right now it's more about flying than putting together an epic video. It's been helpful to see what works vs not. And I greatly appreciate comments. I've done a lot of fine art photography but video is a different beast.

Here's an earlier one, only my second flight.

Looks good Bob! Very smooth, nice transitions between scenes. Doesn't look like you're going to have any problems with the flying part.:)

What editing software are you using?

Looks good Bob! Very smooth, nice transitions between scenes. Doesn't look like you're going to have any problems with the flying part.:)

What editing software are you using?

The first was done with GoPro Studio. The second with Adobe Premier Elements 14. I'm new to both. Elements was discounted so I'm giving it a go. I'm very familiar with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop but Premiere Elements will take some getting used to. If I go any further than this, I will likely buy Final Cut vs Premiere.

Reactions: Maddog
I am really surprised how well adobe elements auto color tune works.
If you are new to color grading it will get you almost there
then pop an adjustment layer on top to tweek it

I am really surprised how well adobe elements auto color tune works.
If you are new to color grading it will get you almost there
then pop an adjustment layer on top to tweek it
Certainly better than GPS! I just need to get used to the lens limitations of the GoPro. And the dynamic range of the camera overall is much less than I'm used to!

The first was done with GoPro Studio. The second with Adobe Premier Elements 14. I'm new to both. Elements was discounted so I'm giving it a go. I'm very familiar with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop but Premiere Elements will take some getting used to. If I go any further than this, I will likely buy Final Cut vs Premiere.
They all take some work to learn- I found lots of videos on YouTube to help me with Power Director 13.
I also like ProDrenalin for fisheye removal and stabilization.

Premiere Elements does not have a fisheye removal profile for the GoPro. I just did a search. Apparently it can be done manually! Ugh . . . Perhaps I need to render through GPS first and then import into to Premiere Elements!?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44