Remote ID

Reaction score
So I haven't been flying any drones for a while, but bro-in-law got a solo so I'm looking to get active again. I got a registration renewal a couple months ago from the FAA, saying that my drone must support Remote ID.

I went and read all the info on the FAA site and my (newbie/uninformed) guess is it seems that in fact I must only fly at 'sponsored events', or I must obtain a Remote ID module. Does such a module exist? Or is it just not possible to comply with a solo?

Hopefully someone actively in the hobby can inform and direct..... thanks in advance!

Best,

J

The rule hasn't gone into effect yet. There are some modules available in general but I haven't seen one working on a Solo yet. Solo will be able to comply.

Thats great to hear (Solo will be able to comply). Looks like the rule takes effect in september? I didn't think I could renew my faa registration because it specifically asked for the ID, but found I can leave it blank and just say "doesn't support it" and change it later.

Think it will need to be an addon module or capable of being done with a simple software change/update? The few general purpose modules I've seen so far were a bit pricy for me.... but sure would like to be able to continue to fly the solo.

Best,

J

Thats great to hear (Solo will be able to comply). Looks like the rule takes effect in september? I didn't think I could renew my faa registration because it specifically asked for the ID, but found I can leave it blank and just say "doesn't support it" and change it later.

Think it will need to be an addon module or capable of being done with a simple software change/update? The few general purpose modules I've seen so far were a bit pricy for me.... but sure would like to be able to continue to fly the solo.

Best,

J
The Solo seems to be able to do it with its existing hardware but Open Solo would have to be updated to include it.

One that seems affordable is the CubeID module from CubePilot. I have one that I am about to try to get going. I'll post about it on eni do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela