anyone know what dronie mode is?

i'm not a fan of GoPro but they've just sealed the deal for me with the removable stabilizer. Not having to bother with attaching a cell phone/tablet each time will also speed things up. Hopefully cable cam has more than 2 points.

Solo will still be fun with Solex..but it's too big/heavy for traveling.

I watched the launch video. I may go this way also.

But this time I may wait and let the early adopters make sure this thing is real first. ;)

I know we're not a Karma forum, but did anyone see the specs on the GP5? I can't tell if it still has a fish eye lens or not. All the shots shown in the release video seemed to not be fish eye (yes I know they could have PP fixed it, but that would be false marketing). Just wondering, it sure would be great if the fish eye lens was gone!

Last edited:
The karma looks great for GoPro enthusiasts. Compact, easy to fly and relatively inexpensive if you already plan to purchase the Hero5 camera. Specs at http://shop.gopro.com/karmatechspecs and video below.

Btw, If you are interested in digging deeper into it we launched GoProPilots.com so join us - GoPro Karma Drone Forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: jibcamera
I watched the launch and a was a little disappointed after all the hype. No real info on the the drone, No info on battery life, range, smart shots, just a quick glimpse of the interface and allowing the user to share flying an camera shots

20min claimed flight
all the specs are posted in the comment section of the gizmodo article.

I wonder if that will be 20 minutes with no payload. The same was said about solo until you put the camera and gimbal on it.

So I see it's compatible with a 4 black or a 5 black. I wonder if that means the 5 black will be backwards compatible with 3rd party devices made for the 4... like the solo.

no because it is compatible with solo via that port in the back
the 5 does not have the port

It was a launch presentation where they will focus on marketing to the widest audience. Not all their customers are drone geeks, so they don't care (yet) about the details and specs.

I'm sure more will come as things are released. I'm keeping an eye on this one. I like the size of the company and the features so far.

showed 20 minutes on a full charge with 14.8/5100 battery - showed cable cam, orbit, etc - same wording as solo - same flight options as solo = we sure 3DR is not behind this and thats what is really happening? its a solo with a foldable body

showed 20 minutes on a full charge with 14.8/5100 battery - showed cable cam, orbit, etc - same wording as solo - same flight options as solo = we sure 3DR is not behind this and thats what is really happening? its a solo with a foldable body

Between the smart shots and the simulator, it does make one wonder if they licensed 3DR's software. On the other hand, if they had, why would the Karma only have 2 point cable cam?

Karma looks really nice. I love the fact that the gimbal is mounted on the front, presumably allowing the camera to point up as well, which would enable 360 degree spherical panoramas. The gimbal detaching for handheld use is also nice (exactly as I suspected after the library scene video).

All in all, if/when my Solo's bite the dust, this is probably what I'd be looking at unless there's an accessible setup combining a Pixhawk 2 and something like a Raspberry Pi or Intel Edison that brings smart shot functionality to the DIY market.

Between the smart shots and the simulator, it does make one wonder if they licensed 3DR's software. On the other hand, if they had, why would the Karma only have 2 point cable cam?

Karma looks really nice. I love the fact that the gimbal is mounted on the front, presumably allowing the camera to point up as well, which would enable 360 degree spherical panoramas. The gimbal detaching for handheld use is also nice (exactly as I suspected after the library scene video).

All in all, if/when my Solo's bite the dust, this is probably what I'd be looking at unless there's an accessible setup combining a Pixhawk 2 and something like a Raspberry Pi or Intel Edison that brings smart shot functionality to the DIY market.

"Coming in the included backpack a flight controller that plainly enjoys 3DR DNA. Created no doubt by the team that was hastily formed from ex 3DR engineers. Maybe it’s even running some form of Ardupilot code on its flight controler."

The above statement is from an article from UASnews

"Coming in the included backpack a flight controller that plainly enjoys 3DR DNA. Created no doubt by the team that was hastily formed from ex 3DR engineers. Maybe it’s even running some form of Ardupilot code on its flight controler."

The above statement is from an article from UASnews

Yea, but I don't the new hires from 3DR have been there long enough to be behind the Karma software. The system had to have been well under way by the time 3DR started laying off staff. Great idea picking them up though.

Looks good to me, I was especially excited when the drone took off from a kayak, considering that is why 3DR denied responsibility for my EKF flyaway.

Reactions: SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44