Is it time to unload Solo?

If 3DR were to implode tomorrow and close forever, the Solo will not get sad and stop working. It will continue to do everything it does today. So I don't see any reason to dump it if the tool is useful to you today. It will still be useful to your tomorrow.
Exactly. My thoughts as well.

Or you could buy Yuneec's "H" copter and find its out of date within 4 months as the early adopters are finding out. (camera, antenna upgrades rolled out after the first few months/shipments). Solo could cease improving and I would believe I made the right choice.

Yea none of these copters will hold value long, look at the dji birds, you can't give away a p2 or soon any of the p3s. It's a fast moving space right now, tech will always get cheaper, better and more competitive. If your concerned with selling your drone on Craigslist than you probably shouldn't have bought a drone or any electronics in the first place. This isn't investing if that's the plan get guns, gold or something that won't lose value so fast cause tech will period. Last year solo was way ahead of anything in the space now others are catching up, but as far as I can see there still aren't any better options anywhere near this price point. So if your concerned with holding value look elsewhere as in not drones period, but if you want a great tool at a great price than solo is a great option.

I'm amazed that pre launch to now this many people still have so little to do that we are still having these arguments. It's fn crazy, just make a choice and be happy with it. These things are crazy cheap for what we're getting from them. Even at the near two grand I put into mine originally at launch with accessories I'm still very happy with the product and the service. If ya didn't see any bugs coming or this product getting cheaper in time than you must live under a rock. BTW want to buy a p2, it's still a great bird that does what it was meant to do, but I still couldn't get more than a hundred bucks from it. It's tech period.

Imo Solo ain't going anywhere. The capabilities of this quad are just to great. I'm sure 3DR will unload it or allow others to further develop it, if in fact they are going to wash their hands of it.

I'm going to just enjoy it as much as possible for as long as possible. For me it's not for business, so perhaps not as important?

This year at NAB I was hoping for...

I recall that there was a quite a bit of buzz/excitement here with the NAB announcements. As usual, preceded by a lot of "amazing... coming soon..." pre-NAB teasers. IMO the fact that primarily software enhancements only were what they announced was the first clue as to where 3DR was going-- or more importantly-- where they weren't going.

When Solo was selling over two grands with gopro, I skipped it even I liked it's radio setup. I skipped it because of its navigation setup. When it dropped to $799. I picked one up. Put it on shelf when I can't reprogram the communication link for the camera. When it was lowered to $499. I picked up few more, put them in storage. They will be deployed to use when I figure out how to communicate thru the stock gimbal for non gopro camera or how faa does air worthiness.

To me, unless you are an investor or working for 3dr, how they price their products shouldn't affect your purchase. As a customer, my purchase I'd soly on cost over features and qualities.

As for the future of Solo, the form factor may end but the technology will be picked up by other. Just like IBM started the PC and dropped out the market, we are still using PC for critical works, aren't you?

If 3DR were to implode tomorrow and close forever, the Solo will not get sad and stop working. It will continue to do everything it does today. So I don't see any reason to dump it if the tool is useful to you today. It will still be useful to your tomorrow.
I agree, until you need a battery, or props, or motor pod. Those are my fears. No more Solo's will be produced, so no more motor pods I assume, If the company goes under, batteries, and props are done. I am can hack the system to get motors, battery, and props, but I purchased this so it wasn't DIY, had I wanted to make my own I just would have with the parts in my basement. Once parts are no longer available the drone will have no real value. With current prices the value has already fell through the floor. This thread is not a "Hate Solo" I am looking honestly at how much longer will this drone be useable.

Reactions: Paul Emmert
Been watching he slow decline of Solo. First the move to enterprise, then we had Android move out, 2.4 released with what smells of bugs, more layoffs including the guys who make "smart shots", the pace of bad news seems to be accelerating. Price is starting to lower. My concerns in the future include parts availability, mainly batteries and motors, fixes for the prior update, I use Andriod, and value of Solo now vs. a month from now.
I may have found a way to move over to the light side. Wondering if now is the time to unload the Solo and go down a different road. I sure had huge hope for the 3DR retail system and wish they would have rolled it out better, it's a product that could have made it big.

I'm getting rid of everything...just bought a Pahmtom 4.

When your ready to "Unload" your Solo, Please let me know.
I'm dumping everything...just bought a Phantom 4. Extra batteries, props, extended wifi cards installed (accessory bay is inoperative) backpack, hard case (unused) spare gimbal, antenna mod (less amplifiers and battery..that's going on the new P4.) I've been watching a friend's P4 fly, saw the software interface, and that's all it took for me. Bye bye 3DR.

I agree, until you need a battery, or props, or motor pod. Those are my fears. No more Solo's will be produced, so no more motor pods I assume, If the company goes under, batteries, and props are done. I am can hack the system to get motors, battery, and props, but I purchased this so it wasn't DIY, had I wanted to make my own I just would have with the parts in my basement. Once parts are no longer available the drone will have no real value. With current prices the value has already fell through the floor. This thread is not a "Hate Solo" I am looking honestly at how much longer will this drone be useable.
I agree with people who say stick with it, but I'm also not worried about making mods. IF you don't want to do anything to the Solo, you might be better with a P4. I personally think the Solo has a lot more to offer, especially if you don't mind tweaking it. Regarding the motors, there are already great 3rd party motors and props available - you just have to solder the motors to the existing ESCs, which is not for everyone.

I own 2 Solos and a Phantom, and I haven't flown my phantom for a year. The other thing is that (in my opinion only) if your first priority is good film and video, then Solo is by far best and most versatile. I think the GoPro is a better cam than the ones that come in the Phantoms, and I LOVE that I have 2 upgraded (3.97mm and 5.8mm) lenses in my 2 GoPros that I can swap out in seconds on my Solo.

If you want easy, out of the box and just the fun of flying (still with video and still capabilities), a Phantom 4 may better suit your needs. It's just not for me.

I have seen an accurate comparison with Apple vs PC and Phantom vs Solo. You can't really tweak Apple products, but they work well out of the box - within very specific not-to-be-exceeded limits. I love to tweak my PCs (though I also have some major Apple hardware), but not everyone does.

I'm dumping everything...just bought a Phantom 4. Extra batteries, props, extended wifi cards installed (accessory bay is inoperative) backpack, hard case (unused) spare gimbal, antenna mod (less amplifiers and battery..that's going on the new P4.) I've been watching a friend's P4 fly, saw the software interface, and that's all it took for me. Bye bye 3DR.

bb19ee9aa1f35d31e1aff7da6da3106e03e59e62232b4c66acccd8870bc91ff5.jpg

Reactions: Adimuzio513
So just sell your solo !,,,
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out

Yea none of these copters will hold value long, look at the dji birds, you can't give away a p2 or soon any of the p3s. It's a fast moving space right now, tech will always get cheaper, better and more competitive. If your concerned with selling your drone on Craigslist than you probably shouldn't have bought a drone or any electronics in the first place. This isn't investing if that's the plan get guns, gold or something that won't lose value so fast cause tech will period. Last year solo was way ahead of anything in the space now others are catching up, but as far as I can see there still aren't any better options anywhere near this price point. So if your concerned with holding value look elsewhere as in not drones period, but if you want a great tool at a great price than solo is a great option.

I'm amazed that pre launch to now this many people still have so little to do that we are still having these arguments. It's fn crazy, just make a choice and be happy with it. These things are crazy cheap for what we're getting from them. Even at the near two grand I put into mine originally at launch with accessories I'm still very happy with the product and the service. If ya didn't see any bugs coming or this product getting cheaper in time than you must live under a rock. BTW want to buy a p2, it's still a great bird that does what it was meant to do, but I still couldn't get more than a hundred bucks from it. It's tech period.
Easy there, the solo isn't holding its value much better. Seems to me the retailer's can't give them away, they've tried and they are still overstocked. And how long has the p2 been out compared to solo?

True for those that dont want to fix their own issues. The esc can be replaced to, there is a vendor selling canbus esc's too (more will start to roll out as systems develop to detect failing hardware). So basically its just the battery at present that is an issue. 3DR has a good rep for releasing info when there is no more commercial value. 3DR released the full plans for the IRIS, so has dji released the same plans for the phantom or phantom 2 or phantom 3? We all know that answer.

Lets all take a deep breath and go fly!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks