High altitude flight

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to fly my solo in high altitude range. (2,500~4,000m)
It means I will fly it in mountain so it is regal.
Is that be able to fly with normal prop?If it is difficult to fly, I will change props to aps 1045 props.
Also, which is the maximum size of prop?
Please tell me diameter and pitch.
Thanks.

Hi,
I'm going to fly my solo in high altitude range. (2,500~4,000m)
It means I will fly it in mountain so it is regal.
Is that be able to fly with normal prop?If it is difficult to fly, I will change props to aps 1045 props.
Also, which is the maximum size of prop?
Please tell me diameter and pitch.
Thanks.

Hi,

I flew at 2000 meters and it was very difficult. Especially the air currents are dragging the solo. For Hower, the motors are over-rotating and over-current and low battery life! I do not know much about this, but it seems that low oxygen levels are also affecting systems.

High altitude is an area of expertise. Maybe the more rigid propellers may be the solution, but the last word to say the experience

The air is thin, and the temperature is lower. More power will be required to hover and maneuver. Which means the battery will not last as long. And the controls will be less nimble since there is less air to bite into while maneuvering. The commonly available MAS props for the Solo are not going to change this. And the motors are not designed to turn longer or more aggressive propellers. No is the body big enough. These are simply operational eliminations, like any other aircraft. Actual performance will vary based on actual variable conditions such as density altitude, temperature, and wind.

Reactions: twk01
Last year I flew in the mountains in a gorge I hiked three miles to at a waterfall, temp was mid 50's. I was around the 8000' level mid morning. Conditions at the time seemed to be perfect. I did several flights with no turbulence or noticeable winds, video was rock solid. I later did another mid afternoon flight over a near mountain lake at 4200 MSL and flew directly above me just out of radio range of 2500 AGL the winds were rockin' and very noticeable in at that altitude. Got the still shots I needed just before it RTH from lost signal. I've put SOLO through a lot in the 500+ flights since it's first came out in MAY 2015.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela