Reaction score
New Solo owner, still awaiting delivery of my Solo. I've spent the last week reading the manuals, watching all the 3DR Flight School videos, and basically learning everything I can about the Solo before it arrives.

I'm a bit concerned about the security of the gimbal camera clip. I own several other multirotors, and half a dozen different types of gimbals, and they all have a solid method of securing the GoPro onto the gimbal. Most have screws and bars that are very secure. I'm worried on my first firm landing with the Solo, I'll be watching my Hero bouncing across the pitch since it's only held in place on the gimbal by a plastic clip.

I've searched extensively for some kind of lanyard or strap designed for Solo's gimbal, but haven't found anything. I'm I the only one worried about this? Or have some of you just done DIY and bodged up a solution?

Have yet to have my GP4B release (or loosen) out of the holder during any type of maneuver or landings. Two things are binding the GP, the GP connector and the gimbal clip. It's an effort to install and remove the camera from the gimbal. I think once you see (feel) the setup first hand you'll understand. It's a well thought out mount.

Crash landing is another story...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure 3DR put a lot of thought into the design of that clip. I guess I'm just protective of my H3+B. One time seeing it and a FYT Mini3D bounce across the grass after a hard landing with the Tali was plenty for me. o_O

Patiently waiting for FedEx so I can log my first crash report, er, I mean flight report. LOL!

Have yet to have my GP4B release (or loosen) out of the holder during any type of maneuver or landings. Two things are binding the GP, the GP connector and the gimbal clip. It's an effort to install and remove the camera from the gimbal. I think once you see (feel) the setup first hand you'll understand. It's a well thought out mount.

Crash landing is another story...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure 3DR put a lot of thought into the design of that clip. I guess I'm just protective of my H3+B. One time seeing it and a FYT Mini3D bounce across the grass after a hard landing with the Tali was plenty for me. o_O

Patiently waiting for FedEx so I can log my first crash report, er, I mean flight report. LOL!
Keep in mind it's secured by more than just the clip. There is a back connector that secures it in place and and HDMI plug, and then the clip. All together it's pretty secure. No guarantees if you crash though.

Welcome to the forum Drone Pirate! There is another "Pyrate" on the forum.
Where you at in central Az?

Oh, don't land hard-problem solved.;)
Solo handles so precisely, there's no reason to land hard.

I am thinking about dumping mine and using a wire tie in its place. I got Ians version of the deadweight balance kit. so have been playing with how I can dump that clip all together

Obviously I'll have a better feeling for it once it arrives (this afternoon?) but I was thinking some kind of velcro strap or screw clip like on the Walkera G-3D (and most other gimbals).

I am thinking about dumping mine and using a wire tie in its place. I got Ians version of the deadweight balance kit. so have been playing with how I can dump that clip all together

I've flown about 30 flights so far on my new Solo, no issues with the green GoPro clip on the gimbal (as for being secure). I own the DJI H3-3D and DYS 3-axis gimbals also, and while they sport the screw in place method of securing the GoPro, I have to say I like the clip method a lot more, especially when pulling the GoPro often to access the SD Card. Also, the black HDMI Cable is pretty stout on the Solo gimbal, not like my H3-3D that has a flimsy flat ribbon cable (that I've had to replace more than one time). Between my F450 and modified F650 (X55 extended arms on an F550), I really like the performance of the Solo gimbal.

What are the flight restrictions like in Glendale? In Phx I can't fly in parks or municipal property, except for designated R/C parks.
Stay away from airports (of course), Cardinal stadium is supposed to be a no-fly zone but I've never seen anything official. I've flown in city parks in Glendale & Peoria- no problems. I go during the week when few people are there, and stay away from those that are.

If your still nervous, I suggest using a rubber band to lock it in even more.

At the end of the day, I think you'll find it's pretty convenient to be able to remove the GoPro without having to unscrew a bar.

Stay away from airports (of course), Cardinal stadium is supposed to be a no-fly zone but I've never seen anything official. I've flown in city parks in Glendale & Peoria- no problems. I go during the week when few people are there, and stay away from those that are.
Good advice of course, but @Drone Pirate has a lot of experience flying drones, so I'm sure he knows.

If your still nervous, I suggest using a rubber band to lock it in even more.

Ya, I'm still thinking a slim velcro strap, but everyone here was spot on when they told me it was more secure than it looks. I got motivated to install the gimbal today. Between the green clip, the HDMI cable and the GoPro Port connector on the back of the camera... it surely does feel pretty secure.

I go during the week when few people are there, and stay away from those that are.
I usually get up early on the weekends and I'm in the sky just after sunrise. It's pretty easy to avoid people that way. Phoenix doesn't permit parks or municipal property, so I stick to schoolyards. There's an enormous park in far north Scottsdale at the base of the McDowell Mountains I'd like to fly. I'll have to poke around the interwebs and see what I can dig up on Scottsdale regs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo