Gopro Hero 4 Firmware update v4.0

Reaction score
So we are on the same page, I am using Gopro Hero 4 Black.
So Hero 4 has a new firmware out. I got a notification 2 days ago. I contacted Gopro to see if this would break compatibility with Solo and this was the response

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'd be happy to help you out. We can't guarantee that our products will work 100% with other devices. I think the best solution would be to contact 3DR and inquire there.
If you have any additional questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us back!
Many Thanks,

GoPro Support

So I contacted 3DR and this was theirs,

Hope your day is going well.

The update it not fully compatible, we recommend staying with the version that you have, what happens with the update is that your GoPro will no longer turn up with the Solo, also 2.7k and 4k on your video feed will zoom in, but don't worry your video on the GoPro will still be the same.
Everything else should work just fine.
If you have any questions let me know.

Regards.

So if you were wondering, I suggest NOT to update to v4.0 just yet.
If anyone has tested it, please post back here

Cheers
Aussie

Or do the update to gain shutter control
learn to turn the gopro on manually (we have done that in earlier versions)
And be aware of the zooming when framing.
Mine by the way does not seem to zoom

Reactions: Aussie in AZ
And you can downgrade to the previous firmware on your GoPro if you don't like it. The zooming is the only think that would bother me. I'll probably give it a try, but I tend to drag my feet when it comes to firmware upgrades... if it ain't broke... But being able to go back makes it a non issue.

Or search and see the other 5 million posts on this topic from the last 3 weeks :)
As a matter of fact, 3dr very likely got ALL that info from posts on this forum 3 weeks ago - or from 3dr FB posts from users like us... three weeks ago. :confused:

Reactions: Ben J
And you can downgrade to the previous firmware on your GoPro if you don't like it. The zooming is the only think that would bother me. I'll probably give it a try, but I tend to drag my feet when it comes to firmware upgrades... if it ain't broke... But being able to go back makes it a non issue.
Just out of interest, software control has never worked on my GoPro so I always have to turn it on and press the record button, the zoom/ crop doesn't effect my view on the solo app(iOS) so wonder if for you guys who can control the GoPro via app this might work, or not as in most cases!

Just out of interest, software control has never worked on my GoPro so I always have to turn it on and press the record button, the zoom/ crop doesn't effect my view on the solo app(iOS) so wonder if for you guys who can control the GoPro via app this might work, or not as in most cases!

I updated one of my Hero 4 Blacks to v04.00 yesterday and took it for a spin. Other than having to switch it on and off manually, I didn't seem to have any other issues compared to the one on v03.00. I didn't notice cropping while taking pictures or taking video at 2.7K and was able to switch between the two modes mid-flight.

Are you using the gimbal or the Gopro mount?

Cheers
Aussie

What model GP? What FW version? You should have 'record' control plus additional setting control with GPH4 Black and v 3.0 or 4.0 FW.

(I know this is a GP4/v 4.0 thread, but people mis-post frequently.)

Hi ,
GoPro 4 black , updated to latest ver and iOS app latest. Never been able to record or change parameters with this GoPro , my mates GoPro black 4 works fine on my Gimbal. Just a quirk with mine, spoke to GoPro about it but as the camera functions normally except when plugged into the gimbal it was not a warranty issue. I lob it into the gimbal and once ready to fly the plastic on top of the gimbal is flexible enough just to press down and the record button.being proud switches the go pro record function on. No big deal and I use same recording settings as all this stuff regarding shutter speed is above my pay grade!

Hi ,
GoPro 4 black , updated to latest ver and iOS app latest. Never been able to record or change parameters with this GoPro , my mates GoPro black 4 works fine on my Gimbal. Just a quirk with mine, spoke to GoPro about it but as the camera functions normally except when plugged into the gimbal it was not a warranty issue. I lob it into the gimbal and once ready to fly the plastic on top of the gimbal is flexible enough just to press down and the record button.being proud switches the go pro record function on. No big deal and I use same recording settings as all this stuff regarding shutter speed is above my pay grade!
Okay, I'll assume that by "latest version" you mean v 4.0 - which it is, but saying "latest version" is not a finite statement as many users aren't actually clear on what the "latest version" actually is for ANY of this Solo-related gear.

Did the GP work correctly with v 3.x? Since you don't need all the features of v 4.0, you should consider a retro back to v 3 - where the GP4B will (should) turn on and off with Solo. I never updated to v 4 as I wanted that feature, and don't need the other new features.

I'm not an iOS person so any foibles directly related to iOS are beyond my scope.

Hi, yes ver4 and it didn't work on ver 3 so not sweating over the back ward downgrade to ver 3. iOS software is stable so probably this upgrade strangely hasn't really affected me in any real way. The aficionados out there will feel differently, nice to be at the back of the class sometimes! Buying an android device as the Solex app by Kelly seems to be the future for solo. Happy days

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo