gimble vibes 1solution

Reaction score
Hey guys haven't been on in a while. .had some time off from work so I thought I would try to fix this gimble problem. .granted I am no expert but I thought I would share my findings with u ...my solo works great except for my gimble vibrations. Like everyone has. .I tried every thing ...routed hdmi cable 50. Differernt ways. ..tried gimble power cable 50 different ways. ..still had vibes. ..so one day I just hovered my solo about 7feet off the ground and just watched it. ..I noticed about every 8 to 10 seconds my solo would start to vibrate and send it through the body of solo straight through the gimble causing the gimble to shake side to side..this I thought was the problem of vibration on my videos. .it is a resonating vibration. .starts off small and then builds up. .ends up in the gimble. .and I thought why isn't the gimble compensating for this. ..so I moved the gimble side to side. .and noticed the gimble starts off easy moving side to side but then get s harder. .kinda like a rubber band. ...so I then thought isolaytor balls way to stiff. So I went to my drone parts bin and some balls off a wltoys v666 drone. Perfect fit..very soft allow alot of side to side movement. .but I was worried they would not support the weight of the gimble with gopro. ..so I put earplugs in to support the weight. ..and omg ..what adifference. ..the problem with the gimble is not the hdmi cable or the data cable its the isolater balls ...not enough side to side movement with stock balls. ..the stock balls are way to stiff. ..this causes vibes to be magnified. ..but it has to support the weight of the gimble with gopro. .my results were great but not perfect. ...my video is much crisper now. .and vibes are about 98% gone. .. but its a start ...I feel finding the right isolator ball will solve our problems. ..it did for me..vibes are so small now I have to really look for them. ..I think rich wesy was on the right track with his holes he cut in the isolator bals mod. .the trick is to get the gimble to move freely side to side with NO resistance. ..hope this helps u ..

Note that your periodic vibration is likely due to an interaction between ground effect and vortex ring/prop wash.

2M off the ground really isn't enough to be free completely of ground effect especially when discussing rotorcraft.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
UOTE="just_bruce, post: 133107, member: 11351"]Note that your periodic vibration is likely due to an interaction between ground effect and vortex ring/prop wash.

2M off the ground really isn't enough to be free completely of ground effect especially when discussing rotorcraft.[/QUOTE]
Im

I'm no expert.. but if we can't fix the the vibes lets tone them down...we need the Gimble to move as freely as possible to compensate for vibrations...the stock balls are way to stiff.. it adds to vibration...the easier the gimble moves the less vibrations.. but its a trade off.. to soft won't support gimble weight..

I'm no expert.. but if we can't fix the the vibes lets tone them down...we need the Gimble to move as freely as possible to compensate for vibrations...the stock balls are way to stiff.. it adds to vibration...the easier the gimble moves the less vibrations.. but its a trade off.. to soft won't support gimble weight..
Not necessarily some vibrations are actually tuned out with either stiffer or solid dampers, I actually have wire ties compressing the dampers/balls on a aftermarket gimbal that stopped all vibrations (see photo below) before that the footage sucked. The whole thing is to effectively reduce as much vibration as possible coming off the platform/drone, also anything dragging hitting or impeding the gimbal will cause crappy footage, even excess wind is a factor.
IMG_20180312_150452.jpg

I tried stiffer balls.. it caused the rubberband effect I mentioned earlier...enhanced the vibes.. because the gimble couldn't move as freely as softer balls to compensate...rich west on here reduced vibes by cutting 4 1/4 holes in the dampners.. this made the gimble move more freely.. there fore compensating for the vibes...I'm doing the same thing but with softer balls..the problem I think is the gimble with gopro is to heavy.. so 3dr put heavy duty gimble balls in.. way to heavy duty balls. .my results were great...98%vibes gone...video is much crisper

guys, one of the very best posts and ensuing solutions is on this very forum. Search for it, grab your favorite grog and read.
Mr Rich West will show you the way.

Also note these vibrations you specifically speak of are most likely from a known issue where the solo main board would resonate and pass vibrations to the flight controller, search sorbothane mod for solo on youtube. This is why the green cube mod ships with sorbothane

Reactions: Solo Keith
I tried stiffer balls.. it caused the rubberband effect I mentioned earlier...enhanced the vibes.. because the gimble couldn't move as freely as softer balls to compensate...rich west on here reduced vibes by cutting 4 1/4 holes in the dampners.. this made the gimble move more freely.. there fore compensating for the vibes...I'm doing the same thing but with softer balls..the problem I think is the gimble with gopro is to heavy.. so 3dr put heavy duty gimble balls in.. way to heavy duty balls. .my results were great...98%vibes gone...video is much crisper
Yeah I hear you do what works best in your case, all platforms vary. the 3dr gimbal i have seems pretty well tuned as far as vibrations and I did not do anything at all besides basic correct cable routing..Go figure?

guys, one of the very best posts and ensuing solutions is on this very forum. Search for it, grab your favorite grog and read.
Mr Rich West will show you the way.

Also note these vibrations you specifically speak of are most likely from a known issue where the solo main board would resonate and pass vibrations to the flight controller, search sorbothane mod for solo on youtube. This is why the green cube mod ships with sorbothane
Yeah been there done that I've read every discussion here (semi retired so a lot of time) my green cube solo seems to work great no sorbothane at all no vibration issues..Nailed to the sky..Its crazy..

Yea ive tried everything too.. but still had micro vibes...and I don't want to start a debate...I'm just excited that this mod gave me the best results so far..I tried everything from hdmi cable to data cable..I just wanted to share my findings with u ....softer movement in gimble will tame the vibes not remove them...

Yea ive tried everything too.. but still had micro vibes...and I don't want to start a debate...I'm just excited that this mod gave me the best results so far..I tried everything from hdmi cable to data cable..I just wanted to share my findings with u ....softer movement in gimble will tame the vibes not remove them...
That's all that matters it worked for you for me and others with all different approaches, its really just a matter of tweaking and finding what does work in each case, no two Solo's are identical.

That's all that matters it worked for you for me and others with all different approaches, its really just a matter of tweaking and finding what does work in each case, no two Solo's are identical.
TRue that ..i have two solos

Reactions: XevetS
Goodlu.. howbuy Storm32 based Gimbal with my custom camera mount, and a Sony AS100V My first Solo..PWM control for tilt no Mavlink...
Any mods to get the gimble to function with remote .and what's the weight of the camera

Any mods to get the gimble to function with remote .and what's the weight of the camera
Yes I have tilt control via the paddle just had to supply power to the gimbal and breakout 2 wires from the mainboard, also had to set 1 parameter in mission planner, super simple..And the camera is lighter than a GoPro Hero 4 black, but the gimbal setup might be slightly heavier than the 3DR gimbal?

[QU...good jobE="XevetS, post: 133122, member: 8541"]Yes I have tilt control via the paddle just had to supply power to the gimbal and breakout 2 wires from the mainboard, also had to set 1 parameter in mission planner, super simple..And the camera is lighter than a GoPro Hero 4 black, but the gimbal setup might be slightly heavier than the 3DR gimbal?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: XevetS
[QU...E="daniel s, post: 133124, member: 13576"][QU...good jobE="XevetS, post: 133122, member: 8541"]Yes I have tilt control via the paddle just had to supply power to the gimbal and breakout 2 wires from the mainboard, also had to set 1 parameter in mission planner, super simple..And the camera is lighter than a GoPro Hero 4 black, but the gimbal setup might be slightly heavier than the 3DR gimbal?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Wow .good job...I didn't think there were any options for the camera set up on a solo...I'm impressed.. I'm no tech guy but I learn quick.. already built my first brushed motor drone. ..flies great but no flying aides.. (gps wifi etc.. )..still alot of fun.. learned it all on these forums..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig