Gimbal dust guard

Reaction score
Like many others, I'm having major issues with the gimbal going limp every 45 seconds or so.

While uninstalling the gimbal, I noticed that dirt, dust, debris can easily get inside. For a device that is used in the outdoors, sure does collect a LOT OF DIRT inside the control board.

Dust is probable getting in through the vibration damping balls. While looking into methods of insulating the FC for another quad I'm planning to build, I came across the suggestion to put some of those expanding foam ear plugs into those rubber balls. Probably get the softest ones you can find so it doesn't stiffen the balls too much.

I've only had my Solo a few days so I hadn't noticed any dust getting in there, but it's good to know that it happens. I'm definitely going to pick up some ear plugs and plug those holes up to prevent it.

Dust is probable getting in through the vibration damping balls. While looking into methods of insulating the FC for another quad I'm planning to build, I came across the suggestion to put some of those expanding foam ear plugs into those rubber balls. Probably get the softest ones you can find so it doesn't stiffen the balls too much.

That's an interesting idea, never would have thought of that...thanks for sharing!

For sure good catch and great tip as a fix for dampening ear plugs are great, but couldn't we just simply tape or maybe dab hot glue over the holes and not affect the dampening at all. Just a thought if there's a reason this wouldn't suffice I could be wrong. Does seem that those holes let more dust in than any other areas. I have some foam trim with adheisive on the back that's very light I may try to seal up some other areas with as well. I'll post pics of what I end up with when I get it done. Thanks for the ideas, I'd not thought about this much yet either.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
For sure good catch and great tip as a fix for dampening ear plugs are great, but couldn't we just simply tape or maybe dab hot glue over the holes and not affect the dampening at all.

I'm sure that would work too, although it could loosen up and fall off over time. I can't find the link, but where I read the test, they found the damping balls with ear plugs dampened the small vibrations better than the balls alone.

I don't know the brand, but I've used light tan earplugs, and they were extremely soft, those are the ones I'm planning to use. If they have any adverse effects, it'll be easy enough to pull them out and try something else.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I'm sure that would work too, although it could loosen up and fall off over time. I can't find the link, but where I read the test, they found the damping balls with ear plugs dampened the small vibrations better than the balls alone.

I don't know the brand, but I've used light tan earplugs, and they were extremely soft, those are the ones I'm planning to use. If they have any adverse effects, it'll be easy enough to pull them out and try something else.

Yea can't hurt to give em a shot, I've got some green and some orange ones from work that are pretty soft, I'll give it a shot, so you plan to basically fill the balls with them entirely then right? It could definitley help to dampen and slow down any vibes that do make it that far, seems like it would serve both purposes well.

If the ear plugs are found to be to rigid in-place you could also use a small bit of a cotton ball. Filtered air flow rather than restricted.

Obviously with the dust making its way in, the dampener ball's opening does allow air flow. With my high heat climate I think restricting air flow through the bird could have an adverse effect on how the bird cools off the electronics.

Just sharing my thoughts out loud....carry on.

If the ear plugs are found to be to rigid in-place you could also use a small bit of a cotton ball. Filtered air flow rather than restricted.

Obviously with the dust making its way in, the dampener ball's opening does allow air flow. With my high heat climate I think restricting air flow through the bird could have an adverse effect on how the bird cools off the electronics.

Just sharing my thoughts out loud....carry on.
Good point, it can get warm here too and humidity is very high as well, I'm debating what my best bet is now. Have some different filter materials around may give them a try, basically they're like cotton but have a slightly greasy or rubbery texture so they don't hold moisture.

Hmm I really don't fly in very dusty or dirty places anyway so I may be overthinking things, still undecided if I need either option on my end.

here's a picture showing the poorly designed 3DR Solo Gimbal (NOT THE WORLD'S SMARTEST GIMBAL).

the lack of protection to the gimbal's internal components is a joke. this wasn't designed by world class designers; this is just amateur hour. moreover, the gimbal arm is cheaply done making it very hard to clean as it has way too many surfaces where debris collects.

lastly, where the HDMI wire connects to the gimbal is totally flawed. the HDMI cable should have been recessed behind the corner wall to stop it from interfering with the gimbal.

overall, this POS is a real POS.

getting a replacement gimbal from 3dr is just getting another turd.

until 3DR fixes their design flaws, this gimbal will remain a POS and waste many people's time.

Attachments

• SOLO-GIMBAL-PROBLEMS.gif
    SOLO-GIMBAL-PROBLEMS.gif
    136.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Projeffrey11

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc