Gimbal data cable extension

Got mine yesterday- excellent quality, easy install.
Waiting for the wind to die down to test it out.:)

I put one in my crash test solo
not going to post videos because the gimbal in this one is misbehaving and not really fair to the mod
could tell a big positive difference though
will put in solo prime and post videos

Glad to hear about the tentatively positive results. I've been apprehensive that people wouldn't see the improvement I have.

Reactions: pyrate
Glad to hear about the tentatively positive results. I've been apprehensive that people wouldn't see the improvement I have.
I saw positive results no doubt
the cable cant fix a bad gimbal though, so I am in no way disappointed. I think on the other solo it will be amazing

Gotta run to the store to pick up some grapes to feed to my monkeys. They crimp 5 wires per grape. I'm looking into some orangutans to handle the soldering... monkeys aren't smart enough to be trusted with a soldering iron! :D
Wow, that's amazing, orangutans are much smarter but have big hands.....I was referring to the patch cable's installation, so simple a monkey could do it...

Installed this on my #1 Solo. This upgrade removed the last of some minor vibration I was getting when vertically accelerating. I had done all the other mods including Moongels, flat HDMI cable and the earplug fillers. Thanks again for your time and effort providing this to the community.

I'm just starting a dedicated thread, for those interested and those who might not have seen the discussion in Rich West's thread.

So most of us have experienced jitters and vibrations in our footage. Addressing these fall into two categories - reducing the vibrations at the source by balancing props and motors, and isolating the gimbal from any remaining vibrations. Most have probably noticed that 3DR seems to have gone out of it's way to find the hardest, stiffest wire ever produced by man for the gimbal data cable! :D All joking aside, this is some of the stiffest wire I've ever seen.

To address this, I made up a small ~2.5 inch extension that goes in-line between the stock cable and the gimbal. Unlike the stock cable, this is made with the softest, most flexible 28 gauge silicon insulated wire I could find. I've been using these on my Solos for over a year with no ill effect.

This isn't a silver bullet, it's still advisable to balance the motors and props and possibly address the HDMI cable, but this is about the easiest way to all but eliminate the data cable from transferring vibrations to the camera.

I hope people don't think $20 each, shipped, is too much. They're not difficult to make, just time consuming between the cutting, stripping, crimping and soldering. I use the same color wire (generally) as the stock cable, double and triple check to make sure the wires are correct, and check each cable with a meter for shorts/continuity.

If anyone's interested, please just PM me your address and how many you want. I'll reply with my Paypal address when I'm ready to send them out. If I don't reply right away, it's because I just need to make another batch. I'll get them made up as soon as possible and get back to you.

Here's a picture of the cable, and how I have it routed in my Solo.

View attachment 6094
I'll take 2 reach me at Thomannjf@gmail. Joe Thomann

Thanks everyone, as of yesterday (the12th), cables are in the mail for anyone who's ordered them. Domestic shipping seems to be averaging 3 to 5 days, and the few I've sent internationally have been about 2 weeks.

If I've missed anyone, let me know. If I've followed up with my paypal address, then you're cables are in the mail.

Thanks again!

Reactions: jimloss and DJMc
Thanks everyone, as of yesterday (the12th), cables are in the mail for anyone who's ordered them. Domestic shipping seems to be averaging 3 to 5 days, and the few I've sent internationally have been about 2 weeks.

If I've missed anyone, let me know. If I've followed up with my paypal address, then you're cables are in the mail.

Thanks again!

Just got mine through - less than a week to the UK, just in time for the weekend. They are incredibly pliable and I can see what a difference they must make. Thanks again @Username, looking forward to the mod.

Off to get Solo#1 ready for surgery :)

Just got mine through - less than a week to the UK, just in time for the weekend. They are incredibly pliable and I can see what a difference they must make. Thanks again @Username, looking forward to the mod.

Off to get Solo#1 ready for surgery :)

Thanks for the update, wow, that was quick! Glad it came just in time for the weekend. Happy flying... have to get my T-Motors installed so I can do the same!

Reactions: DJMc
Just received the cable! My drone has the newer data cable, without the jacket. Any tips or pictures on how best to install the new soft extension cable? I strugle to keep the data cable from touching the body several places.

First page, first post. It does require more than a little 'shaping' of the stock cable to arrange everything.

Now, if only I could get less than 25kt winds for a couple hours...

Just received the cable! My drone has the newer data cable, without the jacket. Any tips or pictures on how best to install the new soft extension cable? I strugle to keep the data cable from touching the body several places.

From the one picture I've seen of the newer cable without the jacket, it looks like it's more or less the same length as the earlier cables. You could try bundling the stock cable together with a few small zip ties, or even just some electrical tape, and then shaping it as in the picture on page 1 of this thread. I don't think you need to worry about making the stock cable a little stiffer in the process, it's unlikely you'd be able to make it anywhere near as stiff as the jacketed cable unless you used 100 zip ties!

Well I can confirm my gimbal is now as steady as a rock. Thank you for this cable it had made soooooo much difference. You have my vote.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela