Gimbal data cable extension

Okey.........my next modification will be User Name's custom gimbal data cable......... yipee !!!

I hope it can reduce sudden jerkiness of the gimbal in reaction to position correction due to wind gust.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RichWest
I am finally getting back around to solo prime this week.
Had your cable in my crash test solo with a bent gimbal, and it worked pretty good.
Just finished up my big DIY
Now I can go back to my main bird and get this cable into it

Thanks for the orders everyone!

These are a bit rough, but I'm going to send anyone who's ordered a cable so far one of these. I'm not sure if it will do anything, I had the idea a while back and literally just finished it up tonight. Haven't even tested it.

The thinking is that the gimbal's bank arm sticks out into the prop wash of the #1 motor, and because it's an open H-beam, it surly gets buffeted quite a bit. Maybe this will reduce that, maybe it won't, but it's a little insert that gives the arm a slightly more aerodynamic slope. It'll still get hit with the prop wash, but hopefully this will divert the wind more smoothly.

I would secure it with a little hot glue so it's easily removable if desired. Probably a little drop at each end would be fine. It weighs next to nothing, and if you're using filters, it's on the side that needs extra weight anyway.

Please report back what effect, if any, you think it makes. If it gives an improvement, I'll refine it some more and probably cut them on my CNC mill, which would almost certainly be faster than the 3d printer.

View attachment 6118
I improvised a similar solution to the arm cover UN printed, used painter's tape instead. I've been flying with it for at least a month now. I have to say the solution works when moving left laterally, which was the intended direction needing some help. For the most part lateral flight in either direction is now very similar at a moderate rate of flight. Still leftward at full stick will encounter prop wash vibes, but noticeable less than without the cover. Rightward was always less of an issue, as the camera/gimbal doesn't extend as far into the prop wash.

I believe I'm receiving a printed cover here soon, maybe a version based on my previous feedback to UN when I improvised my installation. In either case, the idea absolutely has merit and would benefit further the gimbal's stability for those interested.

And the patch cable is still a winner, outlined in the original post. Worth every penny or effort to implement into Solo. User_Name is batting a 1.000 so far...wonder what else he has up his sleeve....

Are these still available for purchase?

I'd be potentially interested in 3x.

Are these still available for purchase?

I'd be potentially interested in 3x.

Let me get back to you, I'm away from the house until Sunday. I think I still have a few made up, if not, I have the components to make more, would just need a day or two to catch up on things after I get back home.

Thanks!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I'm in the market for 2 - sent a PM the other day but haven't heard anything back.

I put one of these on my Solo and the difference is immediately apparent. It is slightly mind boggling that 3DR made the cable the way they did. In order to damage the stock gimbal data cable, you would have to fly the solo into a wood chipper! This cable is high quality and really what the Solo should have had all along. There is no way vibration is getting transmitted through these soft wires and I noticed the difference in video quality on the first flight. Well done!

Got mine today - agreed nice cables and will certainly help. I can also confirm that 3DR did make a production change on the gimbal data cables. Did two units - one that had a Rev A GPS (since swapped with a Rev B GPS) that had the nasty stiff cable. My other bird had a Rev B GPS from the factory and did NOT have that nasty stiff cable but I installed these nice flexible cables in both. Well worth the money for any extra vibration removal. I also did the Sorbothane mod under the battery tray - four small squares and they compressed just fine under the battery tray with no issues.

Here's the link from Amazon of the Sorbothane squares (mod said 3/8" thick was plenty but could not find any that size and 1/4" was just fine for this application):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YLMSQHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To add another data point on this topic....I just opened up my 2nd Solo to install my new mRo GPS and Gimbal. I found my GPS board is Rev.B and the gimbal data cable is the newer version like Ismael show in his pic on page 1. While I have indeed see more flexible cable/wires, it actually looks pretty good...and much smaller gauge than what the pics of the other appear to be.

Got my cable today, made a little demo video with it. Each part of clip has unedited clip straight from camera, and second part with Warp Stabilizer and a little color correction.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gimbal Mods include...
- Data Cable in thread (obviously)
- Unsheathed HDMI Cable
- Moongel in isolators
- Moongel between gimbal motherboard
- MAS 10x4.5 props
- Balanced gimbal

I need to adapt a micro usb cable to connect to the 3DR gimbal cable in order to power my parrot sequoia camera. Can anyone tell me what is the name of this connection at the end of the gimbal cable? I cannot find this information anywhere. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela