Gimbal charging GoPro Pros and Cons

Reaction score
So one of the things I liked about the Solo was the fly time usually around 25 minutes per battery before Gimbal. Now that I have the Gimbal I'm down to less than 15 minutes and that seems to be because it charges the GoPro at the same time.
Soooo
Pro's: Don't have to worry about charing my GoPro I have a back up energy supply :)
Con's Less Fly time more finding GPS time :(
Pro's I can see the live feed from my GoPro :)
Con's But the HDMI has yet to work correctly :(
Pro's During a wedding I have to change battery's in the Solo but not my GoPro
Con's I can't stay airborn long enough for most weddings these days :(
Pro's The Gimbal does a decent job of filming smooth
Con's My editing software did a good job of stabilizing the video before Gimbal, need more battery power

So post your pro and con on the evolution of the battery decline.

So one of the things I liked about the Solo was the fly time usually around 25 minutes per battery before Gimbal. Now that I have the Gimbal I'm down to less than 15 minutes and that seems to be because it charges the GoPro at the same time.
Soooo
Pro's: Don't have to worry about charing my GoPro I have a back up energy supply :)
Con's My editing software did a good job of stabilizing the video before Gimbal, need more battery power

Not sure why you are having such short flight times, but that is not me experience, and I am certain it isn't the GoPro. I haven't checked electrically, but the Solo provides just enough power to keep the GoPro going. If mine isn't chnarged up, it shows charging, but doesn't noticeably gain charge.

That tells me it also isn't drainng Sollo appreciably. My experience with the gimbal is about 20 minutes flight time, when i was getting 23 minutes before w/o gimbal but with camera. Obvioulsy this depends on flying style, but I am low and slow when filming. In distance tests when I was trying to go out far and fast, I got 17 mintes. Shorter with the gimbal certainly, but about what I expected...

Also not sure why your HDMI doesn't work? I use it with an external monitor and it has never not worked for me. if you have live feed, I can see no reason why this won't work, as video is making it to the controller. Getting it out of the HDMI port on the controller is trivial from there. What is the symptom of the problem? Have you started a ticket?

I did the GPS cardboard mod (I actually used the gel) and since then, I get a lock in less time than it takes me to get set up, and far less than it takes for my P3 IMU to "warm up". I even get a GPS lock in my house now, which is scary... Have you added the insulation on top of the GPS?

I just did a wedding. (though I normally don't).. Not sure why you can't do this even with 15 minutes if you have multiple batteries (I have 7) and I am confident could work withy 10 minutes if I had to. That said, I think something is wrong with your setup.

My experience with some of the best stabilization in the business (Premiere Pro, etc.) is spotty. It works well in certain environments (short clips with fairly constant backgrounds and lots of framing space around the shot) and not so good in other complex or tight shots with changing features. I use it where needed, but I don't count on it to fix everything. It also won't "tilt" up and down for you as the gimbal does, which is a MAJOR feature of any gimbal, including this one...

The other thing not covered is the integration of the gimbal with the smart shots. The way they did the Smart Shots, the gimbal will move (in addition to the bird) with a smart shot, and that is a real game changer if you are filming. Not sure if you have used this, but you really should. It is PERFECT for things like weddings, and gives you ability nobody else can compare with using automation and one pilot. I wish I could show my footage from yesterday, as it tells a thousand words, but I don't own it. Suffice it to say though that the bride/groom coming down the isle with Cable Cams was awesome, and the "Selfie" off the bride and groom after the kiss was "panoramic". Their reaction just looking at raw (silent) footage was "Oh My God.. I can't believe you did that"

And for me... It was simple. I was actually taking stills while it was happening... :0

My 2 cents
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
Believe me unless you're starting with a GoPro battery that is already low in charge the voltage draw of a 5V charge is minimal. Not doubting my experience but when I get my Gimbal tomorrow will report back with my experience.

That said... my Dji P1.1 gimbal charged my GoPro and I didn't notice have dramatic decrease is flight time.

Soooo

No contest: Gimbal wins. No amount of software can overcome all of the advantages of the gimbal - don't forget the gimbal can change angles, the camera stays level when moving forward and back, and the horizon stays level with lateral moves.

Just buy more Solo batteries! :)

Not sure why you are having such short flight times, but that is not me experience, and I am certain it isn't the GoPro. I haven't checked electrically, but the Solo provides just enough power to keep the GoPro going. If mine isn't chnarged up, it shows charging, but doesn't noticeably gain charge.

That tells me it also isn't drainng Sollo appreciably. My experience with the gimbal is about 20 minutes flight time, when i was getting 23 minutes before w/o gimbal but with camera. Obvioulsy this depends on flying style, but I am low and slow when filming. In distance tests when I was trying to go out far and fast, I got 17 mintes. Shorter with the gimbal certainly, but about what I expected...

Also not sure why your HDMI doesn't work? I use it with an external monitor and it has never not worked for me. if you have live feed, I can see no reason why this won't work, as video is making it to the controller. Getting it out of the HDMI port on the controller is trivial from there. What is the symptom of the problem? Have you started a ticket?

I did the GPS cardboard mod (I actually used the gel) and since then, I get a lock in less time than it takes me to get set up, and far less than it takes for my P3 IMU to "warm up". I even get a GPS lock in my house now, which is scary... Have you added the insulation on top of the GPS?

I just did a wedding. (though I normally don't).. Not sure why you can't do this even with 15 minutes if you have multiple batteries (I have 7) and I am confident could work withy 10 minutes if I had to. That said, I think something is wrong with your setup.

My experience with some of the best stabilization in the business (Premiere Pro, etc.) is spotty. It works well in certain environments (short clips with fairly constant backgrounds and lots of framing space around the shot) and not so good in other complex or tight shots with changing features. I use it where needed, but I don't count on it to fix everything. It also won't "tilt" up and down for you as the gimbal does, which is a MAJOR feature of any gimbal, including this one...

The other thing not covered is the integration of the gimbal with the smart shots. The way they did the Smart Shots, the gimbal will move (in addition to the bird) with a smart shot, and that is a real game changer if you are filming. Not sure if you have used this, but you really should. It is PERFECT for things like weddings, and gives you ability nobody else can compare with using automation and one pilot. I wish I could show my footage from yesterday, as it tells a thousand words, but I don't own it. Suffice it to say though that the bride/groom coming down the isle with Cable Cams was awesome, and the "Selfie" off the bride and groom after the kiss was "panoramic". Their reaction just looking at raw (silent) footage was "Oh My God.. I can't believe you did that"

And for me... It was simple. I was actually taking stills while it was happening... :0

My 2 cents
Cheers

What are your setting at my times are same as his at around 15 minutes, it's been real windy but I've tried to fly a few different ways. I can work with 15 minutes just fine but I'd love to see 20 minutes with my gimbal, honestly I didn't get but about 18 or so without it. Any ideas what would cause such a difference between our copters?

I too had some serious issues with android app tonight, it auto updated today. I used my iPhone and still had some horizon and control problems briefly but with my s6 it was just limp or moving on its own. With iPhone it was useable just not perfect like it's been all weekend but with my s6 I debated putting the static mount back on or just grounding it until I update or download the Beta that's supposed to fix things.

Not sure. Wind would certainly matter. I also have Solo on the slowest setting other than selfie, and other than the selfie don't get higher than about 30 feet. Do you balance props? I have found that makes a difference.. though not sure that much.

I too had some serious issues with android app tonight, it auto updated today. I used my iPhone and still had some horizon and control problems briefly but with my s6 it was just limp or moving on its own. With iPhone it was useable just not perfect like it's been all weekend but with my s6 I debated putting the static mount back on or just grounding it until I update or download the Beta that's supposed to fix things.
Refresh me. Have you opened up the top and looked at the wiring and motors for binding on the frame? Most problems I have seen end up being binding of some sort...

Not sure. Wind would certainly matter. I also have Solo on the slowest setting, and other than the selfie don;t get higher than about 30 feet. Do you balance props? I have found that makes a difference.. though not sure that much.
Yea got my balancer last week but I am on medium and usually higher and farther out. I did notice takeoff and just going up period kills the battery quickly, I'm betting this is where the difference is mostly. I've seen my battery drain into the 80s just going up to a high altitude from takeoff. Ill stay lower tomorrow and bet I see quite a bit longer times, thanks.

Are you using Android or IOS Earl, my android was a mess tonight.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Refresh me. Have you opened up the top and looked at the wiring and motors for binding on the frame? Most problems I have seen end up being binding of some sort...

I'll check again but it's been flawless until update today, I have a feeling the updates to blame but I'll check to be sure.

I'll check again but it's been flawless until update today, I have a feeling the updates to blame but I'll check to be sure.
I had a (perceived) issue with the last update and tried everything. I ended up having to send in the controller still thinking it was the update. Turns out the WiFi card came lose. How? No idea... Why then? Also no clue. Lesson (that I already knew but forget on occasion): It's always good to look at "what changed" when you have a problem, but never assume that is the only thing that could have caused it. Sometimes things happen at random times even mutiple things...

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out one way or another I'm just happy I can at least use iPhone until I have the time to troubleshoot. Thanks

Think I got it together now I'll know for sure tomorrow but it's tilting and holding stabile inside and it was just laying or aimlessly moving earlier. Not sure what it was but I think it's ok now, thanks for the tips. Just seems to have needed everything cycled again, tried that at the field, but I'm not sure I cycled the s6 itself there.
I had a (perceived) issue with the last update and tried everything. I ended up having to send in the controller still thinking it was the update. Turns out the WiFi card came lose. How? No idea... Why then? Also no clue. Lesson (that I already knew but forget on occasion): It's always good to look at "what changed" when you have a problem, but never assume that is the only thing that could have caused it. Sometimes things happen at random times even mutiple things...

Regarding the GoPro battery charging. I wouldn't be so sure it's only just giving enough charge to keep it even and not charge it further not using much juice to be accurate.

Pre gimbal I'd do a GoPro battery every two flights on 2.7k60p protune. Whilst most juice is recording not just having it powered on, I'm feeling the biggest help is the stop start remote button. No longer recording a whole session to get one shot.

If people are still recording whole sessions with the gimbal I think you would find "keeping it recording" is using up to half a GoPro battery worth of fly time. I've not checked what that is in comparison to mah percentage of the fly battery? Percentage of the battery?

If people are only recording 2min shots then stopping, you should not see much in the way of reduced fly time.

I'd like the option to turn off GoPro charging as a parameter in the future but probably wouldn't use it much. Less battery swapping the better

My 2 cents
Cheers

Hi
What is the cardboard mod for for faster gps setup?

Thanks
Mark

Hi
What is the cardboard mod for for faster gps setup?

Thanks
Mark
Yes. On The GPS board there is a little solder "nub" that is the connection to the antenna (on the other side). It needs to not touch anything including the foil that is laying on top of it. The cardboard acts as a spacer to make sure nothing touches it.

Reactions: seansolo
Soooo

I spoke to 3DR about the possibility of adding the option to turn off the gimbal charging the Gopro may see it in a future firmware.

there was a post on here last week promoting proDrenalin software. I bit on it and got it. It's really basic but does an awesome job both in stabilizing and removing fisheye. then I import the finished video into premier for final edits

Yes. On The GPS board there is a little solder "nub" that is the connection to the antenna (on the other side). It needs to not touch anything including the foil that is laying on top of it. The cardboard acts as a spacer to make sure nothing touches it.

Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc