Follow Me - Looking for Guidance

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm missing something simple here. I totally see how to setup follow me so Solo will follow my controller. But what if I want to control the camera and angle from one vehicle while Solo follows, let's say, a motorcycle. I'm assuming that I need to put an iPhone in motorcycle guys pocket which has follow me activated. What is the procedure for this? Thanks all!

Hi Peter- welcome to the forum.

In follow me, Solo actually follows your iphone, ipad, etc., not the controller. Like you said, give the bike rider the iphone while you follow with the controller.

Very cool, thank you, but can I watch the camera feed on the iPad on my controller using the app and have the app and follow me activated on the iPhone in the biker's pocket at the same time? Or can the app be only connected to the solo through one device at a time?

Very cool, thank you, but can I watch the camera feed on the iPad on my controller using the app and have the app and follow me activated on the iPhone in the biker's pocket at the same time? Or can the app be only connected to the solo through one device at a time?
Good point- you need to have access to the iphone to control the smart shot. Others have brought this up to film a buddy snow skiing but I don't know if they ever found a solution. But no, the app can only connect to one device at a time.

You might try searching the forum for "follow me" and see if what you're looking for comes up in any of the threads.

I am going to try my monitor in this situation to see if it works.
In my test scenario, I am going to have car A driver put the solo app phone on the dash and initiate follow me.
I am going to jump in the car behind car A with the controller and my 7 inch DSLR monitor plugged into the HDMI out on the controller
I think it will work but who knows

This video shows exactly what you want to do. It's a new multi point cable cam mode, and freelook in follow mode. Will be available in the new firmware update. Not coming until spring though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Horn
Is there anyway to get it before then. I read somewhere that the code was public. How would I go about using these features before they are released with the fly away guarantee

Is there anyway to get it before then. I read somewhere that the code was public. How would I go about using these features before they are released with the fly away guarantee
You can hook a small monitor up to the HDMI out on the controller.

Or even better, if you have an android device, you can connect to the Solo with Tower and just use it for the live feed. The target (skier, biker, etc) will have an iPhone running the Solo app - that's the follow device. Meantime you can monitor the live feed (and telemetry + map) on the Tower device. You can even override the Solo app from the Tower app if you suddenly need to.

This all works now. You don't have to wait for the new updates.

P.s. The natural question is whether you can run the Solo app on two devices and do the same thing. I haven't tried that... BUT many times I've connected to the Solo with the Solo App on one device and Tower on another. The Tower app and the Solo app play nicely with eacother.

I accidentally tried to connect my iPad with solo app running, to my nexus 7 solo app. It wouldn't allow me to connect to both. But you can connect solo app on one and tower on the other.

But my other question is, what kind of range does the solo controller wifi put out? If you connect a phone that will be placed in the pocket of say a motor cross rider, how close does the chase vehicle have to be?

But my other question is, what kind of range does the solo controller wifi put out? If you connect a phone that will be placed in the pocket of say a motor cross rider, how close does the chase vehicle have to be?
Haven't really played with it much, but I've sent my kids on bikes with an iPhone 6. They were more than 120 feet away, with a hedge slightly obscuring direct line from iPhone back to the controller. Everything seemed to work.

I will eventual experiment, but for now I'm not confident beyond 120 feet. I think that's too close to be practical in many instances. Probably depends on the model of phone and the strength of its wifi, and clear line of site to the controller. Most following I've done has been with vehicles where controller is close to phone.

You can hook a small monitor up to the HDMI out on the controller.

Or even better, if you have an android device, you can connect to the Solo with Tower and just use it for the live feed. The target (skier, biker, etc) will have an iPhone running the Solo app - that's the follow device. Meantime you can monitor the live feed (and telemetry + map) on the Tower device. You can even override the Solo app from the Tower app if you suddenly need to.

This all works now. You don't have to wait for the new updates.

P.s. The natural question is whether you can run the Solo app on two devices and do the same thing. I haven't tried that... BUT many times I've connected to the Solo with the Solo App on one device and Tower on another. The Tower app and the Solo app play nicely with eacother.

HOLD ON. I just tested the "better" option a few minutes ago and I was NOT able to connect to the Solo with both Tower on and Android device and the Solo App on an iPad Mini. I didn't spend much time on it, because I was doing another test (comparing a Stock Gopro, vs. a Peau Productions 4.35mm vs a Peau 3.95mm lens). If I have some time tomorrow I will try again, but if we are no longer able to connect the Solo app at the same time as the Tower app... then the first option is your only option (hooking up an HDMI monitor).

Ya so i am posting to follow but it is my understanding that the only way to unlock solos topspeed is manual or follow me. I plan on following my truck as speed across desert terrain so no biggie to have camera operator but am i wrong?

Reactions: Truble

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo