Follow Me at high speed - SOLVED

The part where speed or follow distance is prioritized over altitude, which could cause problems when the altitude reaches zero.

Aerodynamics of a pitched over multi-rotor flying at high speed probably have more to do with the situation you describe than any deficiency in programming.

Slow down and you may not have a problem. On the other hand very low speed into a 70 mph wind might not work well either, probably it would be pitched over pretty well and be driven into the ground by the wind.

I'm really, really starting to hate this forum.

The drones are already semi-intelligent. You push forward on the stick, it moves forward and maintains its altitude. The drone knows its altitude and how much to increase throttle to maintain it. In Follow mode, this should apply as well. Instead of programming it to stop at a set max speed (25 mph), it should maintain its altitude as in any other mode, and lag behind if it can't keep up, or go faster with the wind-assist. Back when Follow Me actually worked on the Phantom 3, it would do this; with no wind it would be the standard speed of 33 mph; if there's a tailwind, maybe you get 40 mph; if there's a headwind, maybe you get 25 mph; it doesn't drive itself into the ground to maintain its speed.

Yes I can slow down but it's still poor programming.

I'm really, really starting to hate this forum.

The drones are already semi-intelligent. You push forward on the stick, it moves forward and maintains its altitude. The drone knows its altitude and how much to increase throttle to maintain it. In Follow mode, this should apply as well. Instead of programming it to stop at a set max speed (25 mph), it should maintain its altitude as in any other mode, and lag behind if it can't keep up, or go faster with the wind-assist. Back when Follow Me actually worked on the Phantom 3, it would do this; with no wind it would be the standard speed of 33 mph; if there's a tailwind, maybe you get 40 mph; if there's a headwind, maybe you get 25 mph; it doesn't drive itself into the ground to maintain its speed.

Yes I can slow down but it's still poor programming.

My experience is altitude control in Follow has been improved. In general I find Solo prioritizes altitude over speed now. Solo can comfortably hold 35 mph in Follow and maintain altitude.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Something to consider is if your tablet/phone is equipped with a barometer Solo can use it for altitude control, it makes a big difference. I use a barometer equipped Mini 4 and Solo does a great job holding altitude at low or high speed. If you go too fast Solo will hold altitude, fall back then disconnect. I find Solo does a better job holding altitude than the Typhoon H and SDK Phantoms. I use to drive through mountain trails in Follow constantly correcting altitude before I hit the ground, now I just drive and Solo smoothly controls altitude in Follow. I don't think you will get good results without a barometer equipped device.

My experience is altitude control in Follow has been improved. In general I find Solo prioritizes altitude over speed now. Solo can comfortably hold 35 mph in Follow and maintain altitude.

Without an iPhone I can definitively say it prioritizes speed over altitude... at 35 mph with no wind or a tailwind, yes it should be fine. I think 40 mph with no wind, or less with a headwind, is where the Solo starts to drop. I could post footage later.

Something to consider is if your tablet/phone is equipped with a barometer Solo can use it for altitude control, it makes a big difference. I use a barometer equipped Mini 4 and Solo does a great job holding altitude at low or high speed. If you go too fast Solo will hold altitude, fall back then disconnect. I find Solo does a better job holding altitude than the Typhoon H and SDK Phantoms. I use to drive through mountain trails in Follow constantly correcting altitude before I hit the ground, now I just drive and Solo smoothly controls altitude in Follow. I don't think you will get good results without a barometer equipped device.

I have an Android... looking online my S5 has a barometer but 3DR hasn't implemented this feature for Android, and per other threads it looks like they lost their Android developer so it won't be coming any time soon. Now I'm tempted to get an iPhone... ugh.

How fast did the Typhoon H end up going in Follow?

Without an iPhone I can definitively say it prioritizes speed over altitude... at 35 mph with no wind or a tailwind, yes it should be fine. I think 40 mph with no wind, or less with a headwind, is where the Solo starts to drop. I could post footage later.

I have an Android... looking online my S5 has a barometer but 3DR hasn't implemented this feature for Android, and per other threads it looks like they lost their Android developer so it won't be coming any time soon. Now I'm tempted to get an iPhone... ugh.

How fast did the Typhoon H end up going in Follow?
I got 43 mph out of the H, which is what Yuneec claims. I think the H is good for more speed but you get gimbal tilt at 45 mph.

So your altitude drop is because you are not using barometer assist from an iOS device with barometer ?

In the old days of APM 2.4 there was a value you could change. I don't remember what it was now something like bank angle. I used to set mine for 35 degrees. That would allow it to increase its speed due to the max angle. If I remember if you went beyond 35 degrees it could get scary. It made machines like the Cx 20 or an APM based FC a lot more fun to fly.

Reactions: Jubalr
In the old days of APM 2.4 there was a value you could change. I don't remember what it was now something like bank angle. I used to set mine for 35 degrees. That would allow it to increase its speed due to the max angle. If I remember if you went beyond 35 degrees it could get scary. It made machines like the Cx 20 or an APM based FC a lot more fun to fly.
That's about right Don. I did testing on this last summer and found that after about 32-35deg the angle became to great for Solo to maintain altitude in manual/auto flight modes. Acro and stabilize will allow you to fly at a great angle, since you have direct control of power to the motors. Here are the tests...

So your altitude drop is because you are not using barometer assist from an iOS device with barometer ?

Different issue... The altitude drop is because the Solo Follow algorithm prioritizes speed over altitude and I'm modding the max speed in Tower to get it closer to 40. Once you get to around 40, or less than that with a headwind, the Solo will start to drop since it's surpassed its maximum horizontal speed. (before you criticize my modding of the speed, remember they advertise it as 55 mph so 40 mph is more than fair to try).

Different issue... The altitude drop is because the Solo Follow algorithm prioritizes speed over altitude and I'm modding the max speed in Tower to get it closer to 40. Once you get to around 40, or less than that with a headwind, the Solo will start to drop since it's surpassed its maximum horizontal speed. (before you criticize my modding of the speed, remember they advertise it as 55 mph so 40 mph is more than fair to try).

Nope, no crititizing here.
I just want to know how the apps works out between iOS and Android for the barometer/height maintaning. I dont use tower, yet.
Good to know your info, thanks.

I don't really worry about Solo 55 mph advertised top speed. DJI or Yuneec anti collission feature also can't work at top speed, it is expected. Solo is getting better & better thru firmware, that is a good thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela